The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Behind the Crime

Behind the Crime

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Just before he turned 5 years old he was raped.
By his fathers brother, all his brothers and sisters went though that too.
At twenty his best mate lay in his arms and died a knife had been thrust into his heart.
The crime? he acts anti social, never can be relied on to be at work, is unstable.
He went looking fore help told of the dreadful pain of knowing almost every kid in his childhood village suffered what he did.
And he tried so hard to get himself back on track.
We even me, like to think self help is the best cure.
We look at the results and ignore the reasons.
This young Australian Aboriginal did not find enough help he was found dead , a self inflicted wound, what is the answer, how do we change the past.
We must understand we never can,, but if we dream of changing the future we just may do it.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 5:04:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Life is about choices. You and me make them every day. If you consider someone's history as reason - not excuse - for making bad choices that not only affect them but devastate the lives of their victims then you dismiss the morality and judgement of those that try to do right. The victims are generally people who're preyed on because they make good choices no matter their history.

I believe the stats regarding victims of abuse of some description is something like one in three - I didn't look it up. That means you might reasonably expect 7 million people in prison as result of people giving up on being prudent based on being a victim then turning to victimising. I don't believe there are seven million people in Australian prisons. The difference between victims of serious abuse and those with a reasonably normal upbringing is that it's SO MUCH harder to not be angry and step above the rest and lead by example, but by doing so they make themselves more valuable than the average punter because of what they can offer to other victims.

What makes me angry is these kids dying and being found in drains and people making excuses for the perpetrators. To moment you turn from victim to predator is the moment you sign off from any sympathy from me. Life generally sucks with splatterings of awesomeness. We all go through it, and the vast majority make good decisions. There are no excuses for bad ones, just reasons. Nobody else is going to make those good decisions for you.

Regardless of colour.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 7:42:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah k Belly, you talking about suicide?. I'm not sure. I took your post for reasons behind crimes. I still don't really understand the topic. I apologise for misunderstanding.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 2:33:27 PM
Does not matter STG I know enough about you to know you meant nothing by it.
It mate is a true story, one of thousands, and yes it ended in suicide.
I wanted to take a far different view than you, that surroundings, education, opportunity's do make a difference.
Let me be clear that child in the drain, no mate no excuses even if upbringing was awful the person who did that gets only evil thoughts from me.
But I live in a world that demands accountability from us all, but refuses to see some do not get a fair start in the human race.
Do you know kids 4 years old are picking up parents bongs and smoking pot?
Or
that every child in some school classes has nits in their hair.
Or that double figure percentages of those kids have been sexually molested by the time they are teenagers.
Life in Aboriginal out the back of town villages can be so very bad , we can linger on stolen generation talk claim they should fix it .
But how many of us understand what it must be like to be a child living like that?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 5:49:29 PM
I agree that surroundings, education, and opportunity make a HUGE difference to the lives of people in their younger years. No doubt whatsoever, but still - (lol there's always a but) - it's all still about choices. No one signs up for a life on soul breaking hardship and perception of hardship is relative to the individual.

I knew a woman (30's now) who was sexually assaulted as a child. Sadly, that event has defined her entire being. She is consumed by it and it totally rules her existence due to depression, blame, and justifiably being haunted by it. Now consider a guy called Dave Pelzer whose story is HORRIFYING beyond anything anyone could comprehend. His story came out in a book called: "A Child Called It", then followed on to other books. Comparatively - though not minimise someone's pain - you COULD argue this guy should be a mass murdering psychopath with no feeling whatsoever for anything with a pulse, but he isn't, he leads a relatively normal life.

Obviously that suggests environment isn't exactly the rule regarding outcomes in a personality. I'd suggest environment is part, choice is another, but there's something in the soul as well that helps people in hardship fight for themselves.
Posted by StG, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 7:03:58 PM
Belly
you made this statement

that surroundings, education, opportunity's do make a difference

One would have to ask what opportunities.

are these the type of opportunities that allow certain actions to hidden.

so one should really consider the moralty of the person and not just their lifetime situation
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 7:35:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy