The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > skilled Migration

skilled Migration

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
i just watched some foreign News on SBS & the subject of the present federal Governments skilled migration policy came up. I am totally in favour of controlled/selected migration. Ok,ok, stop screaming discrimination just yet ! What I would suggest is an across-the-board skill level intake. I mean society is not just a bunch of highly skilled, it's a mish-mash of manual, academic & artistic skills. So, if we want to succeed as a society than we need to give people the opportunity to form a society. Many want to bring wives or husbands & yet this the most basic building block of any society is being made utterly difficult. Many Australian men are trying to bring wives from other countries but they have near unsurmountable hurdles to overcome. This kind of pressure is not good for any society. For some ignorant academic bureaucrat to state that the focus should be on skilled people coming to australia it is just that, academic & ignorant. We already have a severe shortage of manual labour & yet the authorities are trying to make that pool even smaller. Why is that with so many educated people already among us that we have greater problems than before the education revolution. Academic skill does not bake bread, milk cows, repair cars, indeed does nothing towards everyday requirements. Yes we do need education, as a matter of fact we need it desperately but without practical ability we'll all go down the same path to nowhere.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 10:29:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

Any person getting a skilled migration visa (PR) automatically gets it for his family too.

If he is not married and subsequently marries some one externally, the partner can come in on a spousal visa.

For example, a young squash collegue of mine is here on a spousal visa from Zimbabwe, whiist his future wife is a naturalised citizen borne in Serbia. I don't recall any issues.

With regards the push for skilled migration, the issue has a lot to do with the aging population. With 25% set to be over 65 by 2030, the burden on taxpayers will be much higher.

Presently the break even point where tax paid = welfare benefits is at about $55 000 p.a. Persons earning higher than this contribute to the coffers whilst those earning less don't.

Skilled migrants (generally in their 20s and 30s) coming into jobs such as accountants, doctors, engineers etc not only contribute to the economy, but provide cash for welfare. Unskilled migrants are lowly paid and frequently unemployed, and are a net consumer of welfare.

Young skilled migrants coming in today will be feeding our pensioners in 2030
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 12:11:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow Minister,

High IQ migrants won't only be paying pensions, but they'll be running the country. The Anglo-Aussies get drunk, go clubbing and play video games - our skilled immigrants have big families, study, get educated and become wealthy and powerful.

So Shadow Minister, why do you leave this fact out when you say how good skilled migration is for us. Maybe you should ask these pensioners if they want to be "fed" by foreigners because, for the last 50 years, the government failed to make it possible for Australian's (by kowtowing to feminists and secularists) to have lots of kids - and thus avoid the demographic crisis and keep the country more united.
Posted by TRUTHNOW78, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 12:30:17 PM
As far as immigration policies are concerned -
these require tough choices and constant policing.
Many people would come here if they had the chance -
it's up to the government to decide whom we accept -
and who we can sustain.

The skilled immigration policy
seems like a step in the right direction - it closes
the back door to overseas students gaining residency.
Many have been studying things like cooking, hospitality,
and other industries as a means of staying in the country
and then once completing their course - rorting the system
and applying for permanent residency.

With the skilled immigration policy that is now being proposed
students will be forced to return to their own countries -
and re-apply for immigration to Australia - and they will be
accepted or rejected - according to what Australia needs.

We also need to ensure that young Australians get the
training to fill the skilled jobs of the future.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 3:27:13 PM
Foxy,

For once I agree with you.

Now how much more does it apply to the illegal immigrants?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 3:54:16 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

I think that the system that's currently
in place from my understanding - is
coping. What other choice does the
government have. Put them in boats, drag
them out to the ocean and sink them?
I don't think so.

With the volume of boat people and
involved countries en route such as
Indonesia - every logical effort is being made
to resolve the problem. Some form of "migration
centre," to assess their claims is necessary
be it on an island or elsewhere - and then
the "refugee" status of each individual can
be assessed - whether genuine or false.

We think Australia has a problem - the same
problem exists for Indonesia, Timor, Malaysia,
India, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, et cetera -
and this is only in our region.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 9 February 2010 5:49:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy