The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > VFT - great way to reduce road carnage and promote Aust's tourism?

VFT - great way to reduce road carnage and promote Aust's tourism?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
For many years I have hoped that Australians would support the VFT proposal for many reasons. Firstly, it is my view that many older people who have not had the opportunity to travel around Australia [ie the NT, WA, SA] like myself and my late grandparents, would have been able to do so. Secondly, I believe that the VFT may reduce road fatalities during Christmas and holiday periods. Thirdly, the VFT would undoubtedly boost our tourism ie students and travellers preferring to pay for a more inexpensive trip that links up capital cities and towns whilst sightseeing and travelling. Lastly, the VFT, via tourists and fellow Australian travellers, could be paid off relatively quickly. Your views?
We are unique
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 7 February 2010 10:27:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly, the only dimension that could allow the VFT concept to work, will never be allowed to occur in this country.

>>...students and travellers preferring to pay for a more inexpensive trip that links up capital cities and towns whilst sightseeing and travelling.<<

We seem to have no mechanism for pricing-to-market our infrastructure projects, i.e. charging what the consumer is prepared to pay, and building a business from that premise.

Here in Sydney, we have seen toll roads and tunnels built and priced not for the road-user, but for the shareholder. As a result, they have all been a disaster for all concerned - road user, consortium and government alike.

I also recall getting enthusiastic about a ferry service from Sydney to Launceston, which would take your car for free. Hey, at last, an opportunity for the family to explore Tasmania without the hassle.

In the end, the cost of taking a family of three - and the "free car" - on the ferry was more expensive than taking a taxi to the airport, flying to Launceston, and hiring a car at the other end.

Not to mention, quicker.

The ferry service was discontinued after a short while. For lack of demand. What a surprise.

The other problem is that we have no effective mechanism for "big projects" such as this. Forget the transport part, heck, we can't even cobble together a half-decent ticketing system. Imagine the scope of the financial disaster if we actually had to build something.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 8 February 2010 8:06:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A VFT might well have some tourism effect in the south east corner but between the south and the north and the west and the east it is hardly an option. The remoteness of the country and its prone - ness to natural upsets like line wash aways (occurred up near Katherine not long ago) would make a comprehensive VFT impossibly expensive.

However, if someone with half a brain in Canberra did commit to VFT it would also bring our freight transport system into proper focus as we move towards oil depletion and higher costs.

Right now, there is a modicum of smart thinking in the interstate rail freight world with one company running several two deck containerized services between WA and the south east every week. Highest tonnage hauled per train, self contained complete with fuel supply and sleeping quarters for drivers. It's still slow but it's the right (and profitable) thinking we need. Tourism will benefit, but it should not be the main driving force.

And don't forget that after so many years of doing nothing the Alice Springs Darwin rail link was built quick smart. By whom and why? It was not tourism I think.
Posted by renew, Monday, 8 February 2010 10:41:42 AM
Pericles: "We seem to have no mechanism for pricing-to-market our infrastructure projects, i.e. charging what the consumer is prepared to pay, and building a business from that premise."

An astute observation. I hadn't looked at it that way before, yet it is an excellent way of describing what happened.

Another way of looking at is some bankers noticed there was a lot of cheap money floating about, then concocted a way of re-selling that cheap money to governments at a hansom profit. The vehicle happened to be infrastructure projects. They did a wonderful sell job, stitching the government and we citizens up good and proper, only to be wiped out when their selling of so much of this money drove the price (ie interest rate) of it up so high it became unsustainable.

Pericles: "they have all been a disaster for all concerned - road user, consortium and government alike."

And me being my ever optimistic self, believes therein lies the solution. Everybody knows it was a disaster. The only people defending it now are the original politicians who were sold the bum steer by the banks. Surely nobody who was here at the time is going to repeat it. What's more, surely we will learn from this, and come up with a way of financing these public projects is a workable fashion?

we are unique,

The VFT competes with airlines. Right now, in an era of all time low air fares it doesn't have a hope. Until the economics change that is the way it will stay. Sadly, or fortunately depending on your point of view, the end of petroleum will cause that change. Depending on who you believe that will be within a few years, or a few decades. Either way, in the scheme of things it isn't that long.
Posted by rstuart, Monday, 8 February 2010 12:16:47 PM
We do not have the time to build a network of VFTs.
We barely have time enough to straighten out the existing lines to
enable faster timetables.
This needs to be done first as the original routes were developed using
horses and scoops as earth moving machinery.
Then we need to electrify the lines.
We need to reopen many closed branch lines.
Enlarging the loading gauge between Parkes and the Sydney yard to
enable the double decked containers from interstate to enter Sydney
and so go onto Newcastle is another essential work.
This what we will need for the rest of the century if we are not to
collapse into a country of small towns and villages isolated from each other.
There is more than enough to pay for and worry about than VFTs.
VFTs need a very much higher grade of permway and they have to be
almost line of sight. We simply will never be able to afford that
even on the busiest Sydney Melbourne route.
Europe is largely flat especially France, thats why they can do it.
A higher population and a smaller country is also a factor.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 8 February 2010 3:00:00 PM
Dear We Are Unique,

I remember getting excited over the proposed
Fast Train Route - Melbourne to Sydney through
Gippsland and the Eastern Region - a few decades
ago. It didn't eventuate - for every negative
reason possible, instead of planning a route
drilling tunnels, building bridges, and making
a start of it. It may not be operable in the 21st
Century - but it could be functioning in the 22nd
Century.

Unfortunately, we in this country don't think far
enough ahead.

The Hume Highway - Melbourne to Sydney - is being
upgraded for decades. Whereas similar constructions
in California take a few years. We seem to be slow
in achievement. So we shouldn't be surprised when
anything even remotely creative is rejected or put
into the "too hard basket."
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 8 February 2010 4:06:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy