The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Chistians should be seen and not heard

Chistians should be seen and not heard

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hey Wybong, take no notice of Col, he haunts these posts only to pick other people's faults as he sees them.
Just ignore him, I do.

Getting back to your topic, Runner is correct in saying we live in a democratic nation and thus we are all able to give our points of view freely.
(Good to see you still managed to slip in the tired old anti-abortion comment there too Runner).

I believe that religious beliefs and politics are sometimes too closely linked for my liking.
In a multicultural country like Australia, there are many differing religions and Gods, so any Politician in a position of power could be seen to favour one group or another if we are not careful.

Luckily, we are able to vote on which politicians we would like to govern us, and also on some pertinent issues like abortion or euthanasia.
We need to remain vigilant about who are allowed to be politicians.
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 16 January 2010 1:17:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Wybong,

It is widely believed that there is a wall of
separation between church and state.
This view is largely a myth.

In practice, civic affairs and religion have
long been closely intertwined. Religion is an
element in oaths of office, party conventions,
court room procedures, even the Boy Scouts
give a"God and Country" award, a phrase that
implies, to say the least, a compatibility
between the two.

Political leaders must always pay at least
lip service to religious belief. Politicians
in Canberra before each sitting of Parliament
say the Lord's Prayer.

These issues involving the relationship
between church and state do seem likely
to endure. Issues like abortion,
school prayer, same-sex marriage, the
right to die, are issues
that need to be discussed. As Suze pointed out -
in a country of such diversity as Australis is
today - and in a country that professes to have
a separation of Church and State - Christians should
be seen and not heard.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 16 January 2010 1:43:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Christians are entitled to their views, not imposing them in law etc.
i.e. abortion, euthanasia, religion in school et al.
To me if you don't want an abortion don't have one but standing outside a clinic heckling women in turmoil is beyond the pale, introducing laws and trying to stop RU486 like the mad monk is wrong.
In a democracy the MPs are representatives not in lieu of. I wonder how many of his actual constituents agreed with his 'Catholic christian' views? He certainly wasn't elected to assert his personal views. He was elected to support 'Liberal' policy.
Likewise you want religious training for your off sprung then you pay for it.
The idea that Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth is a nonsense it is about convenience and emotional(consumer) feel good.
If Christians want to really celebrate Christ then .
a. do it on the right date not 25/12 likewise let it have the same standing in law as all other religion's special day i.e.Buddha's birthday, or the Jewish main day.

I'm not saying eliminate holidays, I'm saying reclaim the religiousness and do it like all other religion's days.

My over arching point is Christians should practice what they preach " give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" Not enforce secular power for religious bodies. the latter is simply un Christian and pure power for an unelected hierarchy.

The problem is Zealots exist on both sides of the divide.

BTW Col you have made your share of spelling blues so don't get all unctuous and throw stones even if they're rubic zirconas (Sic)

Clearly your convenient anglo Christian ethic are offended ...either your obfuscatious attacks fail to show your lack of a reasoned response. Prove me wrong.
Besides I thought the object of your deity adoration was some what less shall we say less omnipotent and more Greek classical in out look...i.e. Considered humans as worthy recipients of contempt and at best periodic pained tolerance.
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 16 January 2010 2:18:11 PM
Another valuable observation from Wybong.

However, I'd extend it to all religions - not just Christianity.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 16 January 2010 4:54:40 PM
Wybong yes me too, my spell check has a nervous breakdown trying to work out what I am saying.
My first posts here and about two thousand in other forums bought much mirth to some.
Keep on being your self, the thread?I am biased.
forever I will dream of a world that has no need to let any church run it.
runner you are right you have every right to your views.
But as I so often point out some are just that, your views few others would agree.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 January 2010 4:59:59 PM
Here's a good reason why some Christians could arguably be neither seen nor heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4dA6kZsEs

What a twat.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 17 January 2010 12:14:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy