The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia racist again, oh dear!

Australia racist again, oh dear!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Still, perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on the Yanks.
I was in a shop in Austria once and as I spoke English the shopkeeper
asked if I was English, "No I said"
Oh American ?
No I said.
She was stumpted, (good cricket term).
She could not think of another country that spoke English.
I put her out of her misery and she said, Oh, you speak English !

Missus, ah yes, well many people think it is Timor, but it is not,
it is New Guinea.
I have won a few bets on which is the closest to Asia ?
Paris or Australia ?
Another one is Closest to Korea, Europe or Australia ?

That came up when Nth Korea was lauching its intercontinental rockets.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 7 January 2010 3:00:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan

Of course you would say that. Running around declaring fatwa against anyone you do not agree with would be heaven for you.

The US imperialism has affected our food choices but we do not have to buy it. If they are going to censor everything on You tube then we may as well sign up as their next state, get our star on their flag and be done with it.
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 7 January 2010 6:29:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So the Yanks are being a wee bit silly. I guess it is kind of them to provide us with a bit of entertainment on a slow news day, but it is worth remembering they have no monopoly on it. We have people here campaigning against Coon Cheese because thet think the name is racist.

Then I see here we had the Melinda Tankard Reist article "Shock horror: nude supermodel has dimple on thigh" which I thought should have had the impact of power puff, but to my amazement half a dozen females did actually respond to the article with shock and horror.

And we have HermanYutic claiming Google censors the internet. But not because it does (it can't), or because its searches are biased, but because the searches it _suggests_ don't meet HermenEutic's expectations.

The world is full of idiots. It always has been. My only complaint is their antics don't really belong on the pages of newspapers. I don't blame the idiots for that. I blame the editors, who should know better than to put them on the pages.
Posted by rstuart, Thursday, 7 January 2010 6:31:25 PM
TheMissus: << Running around declaring fatwa against anyone you do not agree with would be heaven for you. >>

Fatwa? I don't think hoping that KFC goes broke qualifies as fatwa - and besides which I'm not a Muslim.

rstuart: << The world is full of idiots >>

Indeed, and we have our share here, apparently.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 7 January 2010 7:51:27 PM
More sensibly, I think that this whole KFC ad thing is utterly hilarious, in a very postmodern way.

An American transnational corporation airs an effective and amusing advertisement to flog their junk food to Australians, and the American media go berserk about purported Aussie racism. Aussies are bemused or indignant. It's fascinating and funny at so many levels.

This is one of those rare moments where I wish I was still teaching undergraduate anthropology - we would have had a lot of fun with this.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 7 January 2010 8:29:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy