The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Confessions of a stolen generation sceptic

Confessions of a stolen generation sceptic

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
I do think Windshuttle served some purpose in strengthening the academic rigour of our modern historians, some of whom had gotten sloppy and possibly a little over indulgent of their ideologies.

However I had problems with the man very early on when I had read one of his first pieces in Quadrant back in 2001/2(?).

In it he appears to make the claim that one massacre, Forrest River from memory, didn't happen because a search much later for human remains found only some human teeth and other indeterminable remains.

However a reported series of killings that Windshuttle acknowledges did happen, yet also saw no bodies being found, because, he says, they were removed and buried by their tribesmen.

I felt at the time and still do that it smacked of the same ideological massaging of the facts he had been so keen to accuse others of.

I have taken him only with a very large grain of salt ever since.
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 12 December 2009 12:29:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*CSteele*

One of the favourite methods of those who first hand participated in the massacres was a technique that they copied from some of the Original Australians themselves, and that was to wrap up the bodies bush style as if in a burial hammock and burn them swinging between two trees leaving very little evidence, a fact about which has made it to prime time Al - Jazeera. (snicker, snicker)

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/current%5Cbytitle/37BA4B1F187B70ABCA256F71004F4FA9?OpenDocument&mostrecent=1

Genocide Convention Act 1949
Act Compilation (current) - C2004C00496
Number: No. 27, 1949

Article II
In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Some of you may care to note (e)

Because of this, in part, you have bogus Historians, the suspension of the Racial Discrimination Act, and a long held and ongoing media campaign which serves largely to re-inforce the negative stereotypes of the Original Australians, with the overall repugnant spin being to propagate the falsehood that everything that has been done to the Original Aussies post WWII was "in their best interests."

I have done a quick hack of the Mabo case referenced below. I'll leave it for others to comment further:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=9768&page=6

I think CJ is likely correct about StevenlMyer, as if he is an academic, or at least was, then why if he has not himself perused the evidence, or at least what is left of it, does he adopt a skeptical position? Part of Abbott's Army perhaps?
Posted by DreamOn, Saturday, 12 December 2009 3:39:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C J Morgan has you about right Steve, on the evidence your posts give you are a troll.
You can say what you like we did have a stolen generation.
Wind shuttle is of no worth in looking for truth on this subject.
Fact is both sides have done very little to fix this problem, even now.
But grow up without education or hope, maybe no real house.
Grow up knowing if you try your guts out you may still not get a job.
Not trying to hurt you Steven but bloke in your own words you came here long after the event.
You constantly remind us of events in the middle east but try to white wash a problem my country had and has not yet fixed.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 12 December 2009 5:37:43 PM
Dear Foxy,

you sound well read on this subject. To give us an idea of what you're talking about, can you give us say three specific examples of Windschuttle's denialist crimes?
Posted by John Dawson, Saturday, 12 December 2009 5:53:30 PM
You know, something that often wonder is, would aboriginal children be better off away from thier families today.

Sure, there are some great AB families who care and look after their kids, but we also know there are many who don't.

So in essence, they have been provided with free housing, provided with the means to provide for their families and, one must admit that many of them have failed.

So perhaps these should be known as 'the wasted generation', given the level of support provided to them from the tax payer, only to see them piss it away.

Now, do you recon we will ever see an appology?

I doubt it!

Remember, this is happening here and now, not way back before any of us were even born.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 12 December 2009 8:44:16 PM
Dear John Dawson,

If you've got the inclination and the time,
I'd feel much happier if you did your own
research on Keith Windschuttle instead
of accepting my opinion.

You can google Keith Windschuttle and find
quite a few websites to choose from.

Gerard Henderson did an interesting article
in, 'The Age,' entitled, "The trouble with
Keith Windschuttle," that may be of interest.
There's also many Koori websites that are
interesting.

Keith Windschuttle like so many denialists
asserts but doesn't demonstrate. He disapproves,
but doesn't ever disprove - he criticizes others
for having a political agenda, but his work
invariably produces findings consistent with
his own political views. His original sources
are selectively quoted or misquoted, with a few
texts actually re-written in order to advance
his ideological thesis.

Anyway, seeing as you did ask me to list three
examples - I'll oblige - but as I said - I'd
be happier if you did your own research as well.

Denials are:

1) That 19th Century European settlers
launched a bloody war of extermination against
Aborigines in Tasmania. Claims no such war took
place.

2) Denies widespread genocide against Indigenous
Australians.

3)The - 'Bringing Them Home' material.
Claims Stolen Generations were not stolen.

4) Denies Aboriginal Rights - Land Rights.

5) Denies the degree of racism in Australia's
history.

6) Denies the value of oral histories.

7) Denies the work of other eminent and
reputable academics and historians,for example,
Prof. Henry Reynolds.

8) Denies that there was any resemblance between
racial attitudes in Australia and those of South
Africa under apartheid and Germany under the Nazis.

And so on ...
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 December 2009 9:38:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11