The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Understanding Islam

Understanding Islam

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
HermanYutic,
You are right however what happened in Aceh is indoctrinated primitive Middle Eastern behaviour and not consistent with the whole pragmatic attitude of the Indonesian people.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 2 December 2009 12:20:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not at all, dear boy.

>>You are concocting false parallels between a radical fringe element group, whose views are rightly and roundly repudiated by “Christendom”, and Islamists<<

The parallels are there for all to see.

Most - but not all - Christians think the Klan is a bunch of dangerous thugs, who terrorise and murder people whom they disapprove of.

Most - but not all - Muslims think that radical Islamists are a bunch of dangerous thugs, who terrorise and murder people whom they disapprove of.

Meanwhile, the Klan see themselves as following Jesus' instructions, as radical Islamists see themselves following those of their prophet Muhammad.

>>How you can reconcile within your mind such ludicrous analogies beggars the imagination.<<

And how you fail to see the connection between two sets of religious fanatics, separated merely by a label, is a compete mystery.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 2 December 2009 1:17:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,

Let’s take it slowly shall we?

“Most - but not all - Christians think the Klan is a bunch of dangerous thugs, who terrorise and murder people whom they disapprove of.”
Please provide data on how many people the Klan terrorise and murder. To help you bolster your numbers feel free to include the case of Valerie Kennedy who pulled Amal Abusumayah’s hijab in a supermarket queue in Tinley Park, Illinois just after the Fort Hood massacre and is now out on bail facing hate-crimes charges which carry a jail sentence of up to 3 years and maximum $25,000 fine. Her actions were the apogee of the violent, hateful backlash of Islamophobic violence which erupted in the USA after Fort Hood.

“Most - but not all - Muslims think that radical Islamists are a bunch of dangerous thugs, who terrorise and murder people whom they disapprove of.”
Since 9/11 there have been 14,458 documented deadly terror attacks carried out by Islamists around the world.
These acts are justified by their perpetrators based on orthodox interpretation of the Koran.

“Meanwhile, the Klan see themselves as following Jesus' instructions, as radical Islamists see themselves following those of their prophet Muhammad.”
Only the KKK see themselves as following Jesus' instructions whereas no other Christian would because their actions (or inactions really) contradict Jesus’ teachings.
However, Islamists are indisputably following the instructions of their prophet Muhammad.
In fact they are following in his footsteps, as the Koran instructs them to do

Your self-servingly simplistic analogies are patently false.

When stripped to the bone your absurd argument becomes: not all Christians disapprove of the KKK and not all Muslims disapprove of radical Islamists, therefore they are just as bad as each other.

God/Allah/evolution gave you a brain.
Why don't you shift it into gear?
Posted by HermanYutic, Wednesday, 2 December 2009 2:26:59 PM
So you clearly agree in principle, HermanYutic. It's just the level of detail that you take issue with.

>>Please provide data on how many people the Klan terrorise and murder<<

It's a bit like that famous - and apocryphal - story about Churchill:

"Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course...
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price"

We're agreed that both the Klan and Islamic terrorists are militant religious fundamentalists. You seem to think that the relatively low amount of Klan terrorism excuses them.

How about the IRA? Or the UDF? Do you have the same excuse for them?

>>Only the KKK see themselves as following Jesus' instructions<<

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

>>Islamists are indisputably following the instructions of their prophet Muhammad.<<

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

So we're agreed on that too. We're making good progress here.

>>Your self-servingly simplistic analogies are patently false.<<

Oh.

Oh dear.

And I thought for a moment that we are of one mind.

>>When stripped to the bone your absurd argument becomes: not all Christians disapprove of the KKK and not all Muslims disapprove of radical Islamists, therefore they are just as bad as each other.<<

Well, they're your words, not mine. But if you like to think in those ultra-simplistic terms, I suppose you'd not be terribly far wrong. On balance, I prefer to think that that terrorists of either persuasion are unrepresentative of their respective religions.

And that they are regarded as such, by the rank-and-file members of those religions.

But I'm happy to go along with your interpretation, if it means that much to you.

Even more agreement, you see.

Which must be a good thing, yes?
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 2 December 2009 3:03:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy