The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will vegetarians save the Planet?

Will vegetarians save the Planet?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Increasing numbers of young people are choosing to become vegetarians because they think its the right thing to do by the planet.How clear is this claim ? Before we get lost in yet another impossibly big subject, I'd like just to focus on ONE issue ONLY ;
Whether we as humans are are ecologically wrong to eat meat; whether our eating meat ( say at 1kg per week) will harm the atmosphere and the ecology of the earth - big enough question, I think you will agree .

That we don't always look after animals well is accepted; Not the issue here. Similiarly the claim that animals don't need to eat animals is for most scientists - a nonissue ) I will post my thoughts later.
Please Help ( I believe questions are best discussed by having affirmative and non affirmative positions), If you think Co2 control is critical to the above question please preface your comments with "CO2 yes" If you are NOT convinced the issue revolves around C02, please begin with "CO2 no" . Ihope we go somewher towards answering the question .
Posted by Hanrahan, Saturday, 31 October 2009 1:39:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's NO WAY you could feed the population of the planet on organic vege's alone.

...and you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from my bacon. I GUARANTEE I'll take plenty of ya's with me.
Posted by StG, Saturday, 31 October 2009 3:54:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's the biggest joke in the world, we'd need another planet just to grow enough veggies to feed everyone, the laws of Thermodynamics shows so. But I have no problem with people turning to a veggie diet, a good steak is getting hard to find these days :)

Anyway, AGW due to CO2 and COWS is the biggest CROCKABALONE ever perpetrated on mankind; any involved in it should face trial for fraud and be sentenced to life serving Big Bubba plenty of their own raw meat!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/10/30/monckton-on-glenn-beck-video-now-available/#more-12294

Watch as this scam is debunked more and more everyday. Unfortunately our own press and media seem to have their heads firmly planted up Mr lipsticks (aka KRUD THE DUD) tight ass. It would seem that the price of a banana at Coles compared to an independent is more important than the royal screwing we're all going to get from this moron!

Just for one minute use your brain and think how on earth would the whole planet turning to a vegan diet slow CO2 production? Where would all the food come from with no CO2 in the atmosphere? Where would all the carbon producing fertilizer come from to sustain everyone? How will we transport the massive amounts of veggies required to sustain a persons life every single day. It's all about calories, veggies just don't add up, just like wind will never replace coal, we need raw horsepower to survive and veggies just like wind will never do!
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 31 October 2009 6:03:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hanrahan
Short answer no! they won't save the world.

The problem isn't that we humans are omnivores or vegetarians the issue is how much we consume. This is a finite world and environment it will never survive with excessive consumption by too many people regardless of what they eat.
Consider the environmental damage of un natural cultivation techniques.

Too much is too much (full stop).
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 31 October 2009 6:49:23 PM
Co2No . Before the media run away with yet another simplicity from Stern on this subject, several realities.
-Using the efficiency of water use to judge the "validity" of a ecological process (As Stern has done) is a good example of what's known in science circles as "misplaced concreteness". Seems to me he was educated at "the School of Mere Description" - he gets "the facts" right , but doesn't quite know how to put more than a few of them together at once. We are dealing with a very complex story.

Yes we use a lot of water to live . But all that water is in transit back past us again like Co2 and oxygen . You have to look at the whole picture before you can act wisely in relation to it. Thankfully we are not stopping the flows,.... much .
Melbourne people have been busily planting lawn seed over the last few months because they have had over 50 tonnes of water (50000kilograms ) fall on their quatre acre blocks during the spring . Soon much of that water will be back in the air again , whether you or I think it's a good thing or not . Are we going to stop our citizens from mowing their lawns and enjoying the flowers ? Have our new mentors found a way to limit the soils natural wastefulness? As usual, the dark greens can only see one part of the story , and are uneccesarily worried about it . As a practical ecologist, I wish the dark greens would study the water and carbon cycle properly, and stop worrying our kids with their simplicities .
More next post
Posted by Hanrahan, Saturday, 31 October 2009 11:49:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OOOOOOOOH, sorry. Mistook your post for a discussion starter. The pulpit's down the road.

You're just cutting and pasting this rubbish from somewhere, aren't ya?.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 1 November 2009 7:17:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy