The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Citizenship Revoked?

Citizenship Revoked?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Moondoggy,
I have never heard of someone getting their granted citizenship revoked. That is why I asked the question.

It is not a matter of religion, if one takes an oath to honour the laws and ways of this country, that oath should be kept. If I were in another country and the people stood to acknowledge their flag or an eminant person, so would I. It is disrespectfull not to.

At a citizenship ceremony, the participants swear an oath of allegebce.

If a person is not prepared to abide by the laws and customs of a country, what right has he to expect the entitlements that go with citizenship?
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 9 August 2009 5:33:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

Go to the Australian Government website:

www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/-

and click onto - 'Revocation of Australian Citizenship.'

It will tell you that:

1)An Australian citizen by birth can't have their Australian
citizenship revoked.

2) The only way in which citizenship may be revoked is
by making false statements in relation to the person's
application to become an Australian citizen, that is
fraud.

3) Lying about a criminal offense, of 12 months or longer,
prior to the granting of citizenship.

4) Migration related fraud or Third Party fraud - such as
fraudulent conduct by a migration agent in the citizenship
application.

Anyway, look it up and satisfy yourself.

If you're going to banish people for demonstrating in a
court of law - then where will it stop? Will we outlaw
all demonstrations that we don't agree with? That smacks
a little of totalitarian regimes or dictatorships - doesn't
it? I don't think we want to go there.

Contempt of Court is another issue - and a valid one -
in the case you describe.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 9 August 2009 6:25:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No need to get hysterical Banjo - as Moondoggy says, it's called contempt of court and it's not exactly a rare offence.

If you want to talk about revoking citizenship, there's some pretty ugly historical precedents.

Besides which, I understand that the accused in question was born in Australia. Of course, you'll be pleased to learn that he's a Muslim of Lebanese descent.

These idiots should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I think that's sufficient.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 9 August 2009 6:26:29 PM
"Under current Australian law, persons who acquire Australian citizenship by birth cannot be deprived of that citizenship, nor be deported.

By contrast, persons who have gained Australian citizenship by grant-of-application can only be deprived of that citizenship and be deported in strictly limited circumstances (usually involving fraud in their migration or citizenship application).

Commerce and industry supports the capacity of the Immigration Minister to issue orders for the revocation of Australian citizenship where there is sufficient tangible evidence of fraud in the migration or citizenship application/acquisition process.

Furthermore, constructive and thoughtful public debate would be welcomed on two relevant issues, namely the revocation of citizenship for persons: proven to have engaged in the class of criminal activity known as “crimes against humanity”; or, convicted of serious, indictable criminal offences in this country within a defined period of the grant-of-application of citizenship."

http://www.acci.asn.au/text_files/issues_papers/Population/POP02.pdf
Posted by StG, Sunday, 9 August 2009 6:34:31 PM
Moondoggy got it Right about warferin, in fact it was in rat killer.
So if the bloke took lots he would be silenced forever, PTB has got it wrong.
Yet again.
I see no benefit in taking citizen ship away from these idiots, after all they will have little néed for t the rest of their lives.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 9 August 2009 7:24:39 PM
Foxy,
Thank you for that, but I am well aware that a citizen born here cannot have his citizenship revoked. However I did say a person granted citizenship.

http://www.austlii.edu.au:80/au/legis/cth/consol_act/aca2007254/s34.html
Which states:-

The Minister may, by writing, revoke a person's Australian citizenship if:

(c) the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest for the person to remain an Australian citizen.

So the Minister does have the power to revoke if he deems it to be in the public interest. I might add that if apersons citizenship is revoked, it then leaves the way open for deportation, but that is another question.

The question I am asking is what do people think are grounds for revoking a granted citizenship?

In the recent case that brought this to public attention at least one of the persons that refused to stand was born overseas and I understand some persons in the gallery also refused to stand. There is no doubt that these people were in contempt of court and, to my mind, also demonstrated contempt for our society.

Just how tolerant are we supposed to be in accomodating others? Do we accept that they can not be serious in making an oath
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 9 August 2009 7:27:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy