The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Massive Price Rip-off

Massive Price Rip-off

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
“The problem always comes back to costs all along the chain.
Rents, electricity, wages, payroll tax, superannuation, holiday
leave loading, overtime, workers comp, etc, all have to be paid for,
to everyone from the checkout chicks, the cleaners, the shelf
stackers, the truckies, security guards, etc. Its a long list.
It sounds like all these costs are much higher then in NZ, where
many don't apply.”

That’s right Yabby NZ doesn’t have electricity and everybody is on the dole, nobody cleans and we have no thieves. We collect our food straight from the farms and haven’t invented shelves yet.

I did notice Crackup that Aldi (which is really cheap) has all its frozen veges from NZ.

I also notice this has turned to “back when” and “further overseas” which I didn’t think was really your argument C. I mean food prices in the Arabian dessert were a bit harsh but I didn’t think that was your point…? I understood it didn’t make sense that NZ is paying less for the same product?
Posted by The Pied Piper, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 2:06:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Pied Piper:

The point that I was trying to make was, ( and you and I can see it, but others cannot, or do not want to!) that we are being screwed in no uncertain manner and I suspect that anyone who argues against that is either "one of them" or has a vested interest in maintaining the continuation of this obscene rip-off!

Any idiot can throw around a few figures, stating how things were so expensive during the 40`s and 50`s etc , but I lived and shopped through those times and as far as I am concerned I would gladly return to those times where we had much less crime, more value in life and much higher moral standards of decency!

We have watched a rich, happy and prosperous country gradually financially raped and pillaged by the vested interest groups, whose loyalty to this country ends at the Stockmarket benches!

These people have one simple aim in life "Get Rich Quick" regardless of who gets trampled in the process, and look at what they and their croneys have created for the world of today,....poverty, financial uncertainty and a very shaky future for billions of people around the world!....Strangely enough these perpetratorse seem to sleep well at night, but then if you have no moral conscience or feelings for those less fortunate than yourself, then you probably will do!
Posted by Crackcup, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 3:16:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We always seem to get the knee jerk reaction and the emotive "rip off" when a large company such as Woolworths is seen to have a higher price than else where. Maybe they are overcharging, I don't know, but it would be interesting to get some indisputable facts here. In the meantime perhaps the dissatisfied amongst the contributors here might think about shopping elsewhere. In spite of what is said about duopolies, there is competition out there, but supermarkets make it convenient to shop under one roof. Actually, I would like to see them sell pharmeceuticals because the lack of competition in that area is
aided and abetted by legislation.
I rarely buy meat at a supermarket because I can get better quality and price elsewhere and as already stated, the public are over-fussy over fruit and veg with any blemish discarded so the waste must be horrific. I did write to Woolies about this and was assured that where possible it was not thrown away. It was either donated elsewhere or composted.

We don't complain as a country when we manage to get high prices for our mineral wealth sold overseas. Are we ripping off the Chinese ?

I often wonder about those that complain about profits. Would they not try and get the best trade-in deal for something, or price for a house they were selling ? And then not boast about the figure they managed to get.

Lastly all companies are obliged by their share holders as owners, to make money for them, which is probably where most of you have your superannuation anyway. We all like to see that rise don't we ?
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 3:31:23 PM
Yabby, I find it hard to believe your tripe is sheer ignorance, playing provocateur are we?
The clever accounting is in their declared profit, so beloved of your ilk, not the true figures. Do you see anywhere in the published figures the total cost of management, including all the bonuses and lurks? No.
Do you see anywhere in those figures the profits made by subsidiary companies, transport, storage etc? No. Do you see anywhere the costs to all the companies in the group of transfer-pricing, and the spin-offs to executives for handling it all? Not one word.
That’s the clever bit, they way they spin it around and play the old shell game with it.
If your willing to believe those executives, who ARE the company, are totally honest, play no games with the figures, don’t tip millions into their own and a select few other pockets, then I’ve got a bridge you really need to see, she’s a beaut, going for a song too!

Snake, is it really competition when you have a pair of killer-whales prowling about, destroying the small business whenever and where-ever they choose, leaving only the scraps for those that survive, or hide in places the monsters don’t want, or fit?
Haven’t you noticed all the public resistance to their expansions? How small businesses die when the megaliths move in? How can it be competitive when the greedy giants can dictate prices to their suppliers, and control the transport and warehousing? Can your average suburban small business do that? Hardly
Posted by Maximillion, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 4:35:25 PM
* Do you see anywhere in the published figures the total cost of management, including all the bonuses and lurks? *

Yup you do, have you ever read a detailed Annual report?

*Do you see anywhere in those figures the profits made by subsidiary companies, transport, storage etc?*

Yup you do. Those figures are ripped to bits by analysts too.

* the spin-offs to executives for handling it all? *

If they are paid, yup you do. I seem to recall that years ago
one CEO of Coles-Myer landed up in jail, because company money was
spent for work on his house.

Don't forget that these are large public companies, open to scrutiny
and question. Nearly every working Australian is in fact a
shareholder, through their super fund account.

So any corruption that you know about, please tell the police.

These companies turn over many billions of $. With the profit
margins claimed here, in that case there must be billions vanishing,
not just chicken feed.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 5:20:14 PM
Deliberately obtuse again, let me know when you want to send me the deposit on your bridge.
Posted by Maximillion, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 6:55:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All