The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rise of sea levels is 'the greatest lie ever told'

Rise of sea levels is 'the greatest lie ever told'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
The uncompromising verdict of Dr Mörner is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/5067351/Rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.html

Every day a new piece comes out disproving the fanatics wanting to destroy our way of life. When as a people are we going to wake up and realise that our leaders are corrupt to the bone?

How can we get through the thick headed masses we're being conned?
Posted by RawMustard, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 11:49:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What codswallop sourced from a UK tabloid. Morner is yet another denialist crank who should enjoy his retirement instead of dribbling on about supposedly falling sea levels and dowsing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Axel_M%C3%B6rner

I prefer to get my information from science journals, e.g. New Scientist:

<< Sea level rises could bust official estimates – that's the first big message to come from the climate change congress that kicked off in Copenhagen, Denmark, today.

Researchers, including John Church of the Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research, presented evidence that Greenland and Antarctica are losing ice fast, contributing to the annual sea-level rise. Recent data shows that waters have been rising by 3 millimetres a year since 1993.

Church says this is above any of the rates forecast by the IPCC models. By 2100, sea levels could be 1 metre or more above current levels, he says. And it looks increasingly unlikely that the rise will be much less than 50 centimetres.

In 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change forecast a rise of 18 cm to 59 cm by 2100. But the numbers came with a heavy caveat that often went unnoticed by the popular press. >>

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16732-sea-level-rise-could-bust-ipcc-estimate.html
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 12:54:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When you see the beach side houses being sold off for a bargain you will know their is some truth to this fable. This rise in sea levels is another outcome of dogmatic 'scientist' push their fantasy barrow. People are conned because they never look into the facts.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 2:43:21 PM
CJ, I rather suspect that the venerable (London) Daily Telegraph would be significantly offended to be described as a tabloid, with all that implies in terms of sensationalist and sleazy journalism.

Nevetheless, more interesting to me is that you play the man, not the ball.

>>Morner is yet another denialist crank who should enjoy his retirement instead of dribbling on about supposedly falling sea levels and dowsing.<<

You also simply repeat the numbers that Morner takes exception to, without the courtesy of responding to his charges against them.

At the risk of being branded (shudder...) a denialist, I would vastly prefer to see a rebuttal of the evidence he presents, than a simplistic "I-can't-hear-you-I-can't-hear-you" attitude, complete with hands over ears.

Incidentally, one of your offerings...

>>Recent data shows that waters have been rising by 3 millimetres a year since 1993<<

...by my calculation, this gets you an extra 32cm by 2100. This would prima facie support Morner's argument that you need computer modelling to arrive at "1 metre or more".

I wonder if they are using the same model that the economists used two years ago to predict our present global circumstances?
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 3:04:00 PM
How disappointing - my brother just built his house in the country 65 metres above sea-level, hoping that one day his children will have a private beach...
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 6:26:56 PM
It isn't black and white, Pericles. In Morner's case, an awareness of some of his other beliefs might lead you to question the quality of his reasoning. For example, would the fact that he has been a dowsing believer make you more or less likely to scrutinise his other ideas? It made me look more closely, and revealed quite an eccentric logical process in his treatment of sea level data. But you can find out for yourself about this, as I did. I think it might be a good exercise for you. After all, scepticism is about questioning the whole. It isn't about blindly accepting an argument which you find agreeable. Had you subjected Morner's claims to a little scepticism, you may not have been so inclined to side with him.

Nothing so comforting as seeing what you want to see, is there?
Posted by Fester, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 7:28:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy