The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > On being fat

On being fat

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Foxy

You, the creator of the most amazing Russian dinner menu, asking me for advice on cooking? :)

Well I'm no cook, but perhaps I can pass on a few ideas which may be of use to you too.

The Mayo link of Steven's looks good. Cold pressed olive oil is great for cooking and for salads etc, as are both macadamia and coconut oil as well. Personally, I'm wary with canola oil unless organic, due to GM. I mostly cook with butter now, but I'm not totally sure that I'm doing the right thing yet, so wouldn't necessarily advise others to do the same at this stage.

I try and buy unprocessed and organic where I can. I do a lot of label reading and generally avoid things with too many numbers and unnatural sounding ingredients. I've found the book "Changing Habits, Changing lives" by Cyndi O'Meara a great guide to wholesome eating with lots of good recipes and food preparation ideas. http://www.changinghabits.com.au/ Rachel Bermingham and Kim McCosker's "4 Ingredients" and "4 Ingredients 2" are good books as well. http://www.4ingredients.com.au/ I mostly cook dishes based on meat, eggs or legumes for protein along with plenty of vegetables and/or salad. I've generally cut back on pasta, rice and potatoes and seldom cook anything with pastry these days.

As far as helping hubbies' waistlines, I think keeping a lean pantry is the key. I've stopped buying biscuits, cakes, jam, ice-cream etc, and instead have things like yoghurt and fresh fruit there for him for sweets and nuts and dried fruit in jars for easy snacking. I phased in the changeover very gradually, feigning forgetfulness occasionally in the early stages when he'd ask why I hadn't bought such and such!

He still likes a beer and is partial to bread, but I'm not going there. Can't deprive him of all life's pleasures!

You'll probably find you're able to adapt some of your old Russian recipes too, Foxy, rather than having to make a complete clean sweep.

Good luck and let us know how you get on at some stage.
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 19 January 2009 1:21:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn, source for my statement that the ME is the fat capital is "The Economist 2009 Yearbook" which lists half the worlds top 12 nations for obesity as Middle east nations.(as well as the US, two Pacific island nations and Oz at about 24th).

Steven my statement re Oz is obviously wrong, obesity is across all soc-eco levels, but their is a 50% increase in levels of obesity in adults between the highest and lowest rankings of what the ABS calls the "Index of Disadvantage".

There are two well proven dietary paths to weight loss now. Steven took one, and the other is Atkins. The x factor is not the number and voracity of your fat cells, but self discipline. A regular and adequate intake of protein naturally lessens the bodies need for quick fix high GI hits of energy.
Posted by palimpsest, Monday, 19 January 2009 10:39:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
palimpsest

"Bronwyn, source for my statement that the ME is the fat capital is "The Economist 2009 Yearbook" which lists half the worlds top 12 nations for obesity as Middle east nations.(as well as the US, two Pacific island nations and Oz at about 24th)."

Thanks for that. I won't dispute it, but I was sure I'd heard more than once that the US and Australia have some of the worst if not the very worst statistics regarding obesity levels.

I did observe in Dubai that they have to import all fresh produce. Not sure if that's the case throughout the Middle East, but if so, it could go part way towards explaining the expanding waistlines in that part of the world.

"A regular and adequate intake of protein naturally lessens the bodies need for quick fix high GI hits of energy."

Spot on. I actually think this is one of the main keys to both weight loss and good health more generally. A good quality high protein breakfast especially will stay with you for the day. Not only will it help you feel alert and on top of things, but as you say, it lessens the cravings for junk. Not snacking after your evening meal is also another good tip to aid weight loss and improve digestion and general health.
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 19 January 2009 11:54:10 AM
I don't mind being overweight, or fat, but I will not be obese. What a horrible word that is.

I think there is far too much rubbish written about fat, & most of it is a pile of you know what. Most of it is written so as not to blame people for being FAT, FAT FAT.

Well I'm FAT. For 60 years I could live on stake, chocolate biscuits, or anything I could get in a Pacific Island island market, & never add a pound, [no Kgs then]. I was far too active, just as everyone should be.

When I was a kid I saw adults, who really worked for a living, polish off 5 sausages, 3 chops, a mountain of bubble & squeak, plus 2 or 3 helpings of stewed friut, every day, just for breakfast. They were all skinny.

Now with crook knees, & a couple of shot discs, I spend too much time in front of this thing. I even use a ute to go half a Km down to the river to start a pump, & I'm now FAT. Hell, I even spent the last 10 years of my working life in a office, so what else would you expect?

Oh, & like those other blokes, who worked a bit too hard, I get a bit of pain, from time to time, but I wouldn't have missed a minute of it, & I was skiny for longer than I'm going to be fat.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 19 January 2009 1:29:29 PM
Fat is a euphemism for obese rather than the reverse.
Posted by david f, Monday, 19 January 2009 3:54:51 PM
Dear Bronwyn, Steven, and Everyone,

Thank You all so much for your advice.

I'll let you know how my husband does in
losing weight in a few months time.

I've taken all of your advice to heart,
and will try to introduce him to healthier
eating habits, along with simple exercises.
(Joining me in walks, for a start).

I'll let you know how it goes.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 19 January 2009 6:19:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy