The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Naturopathy: of value or other?

Naturopathy: of value or other?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Youre right Runner.
Jesus fasted 40 days in the wilderness and got through it.
I know a few pastors who did 30 days or 40 days and got through ok. Maybe I take up a short fast too.
Id probably do the fruit juice thing after a few days.
Posted by Gibo, Sunday, 28 December 2008 7:12:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wait, hang on... so, when fasting comes under the title of 'naturopathy' you're suspicious it's some lefty witchcraft cult, but when somebody points out that Jesus did it too, suddenly you're signing up as well?

Jesus allegedly walked on water (I've taken a boat trip on the sea of Galilee, it has sandbars so close to the surface you could see sticks poking through) and turned water into wine.

Have a try of those too, while you're at it, and lemme know how it turns out.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Sunday, 28 December 2008 7:53:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dunno about either the naturopathic or religious justification of this 2 week water diet you mention, but...

My dog certainly benefits from a weeks fast. Many other animals including humans have traditionally been exposed to such hardship as an unavoidable consequence of the seasons and nomadic tribalism (ancient Hebrews perhaps?). If we assume being adapted to surviving such privation, the process may well become part of the expected annual cycle. Perpetually overfed is a definite health hazard, so I'm inclined to think the 2 week fast is probably not going to be harmful.

I have seen many who would benefit from a much longer fast, and am rapidly heading that way myself.

Happy fasting everyone!

Rusty.
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Sunday, 28 December 2008 8:57:02 PM
Hi Gibo....

I don't know about the medical facts side of the water diet, though I can guarantee the practioner of such would lose lots of weight :)

I think there is some 'meat' to the idea of a 'cleansing' at the physiological level, I hear a lot about 'cleansing' our system of toxins.. by getting away from some of the more common highly processed foods we munch.. and..I can believe it to a degree.

Scientology has a 'live in detoxification' program and to my shock horror...one of the members of our Bible study group persued this after reading about it in an advert in a magazine he found at our hosts home... needless to say we were all over him like the worst rash he ever had once we knew of his dabbling in that :) grrrrrr...

There are many benefits I'm sure from genuine naturopathic treatments, but also dangers. My brother in law often pointed out various leaves and roots in the Borneo jungle which were a treatment for this or that condition. There was no witchdoctor hocus pocus associated with it.. just "If you have such and such.. you make a tea of this leaf" kind of thing or "rub this leaf on it".

Psychologically at least..the though of having very simple, unprocessed food seems like a good thing. The long water diet though? eeeuwwww.. not for me.. I love me milo too much :)

I 'cleanse' my system by push mowing a couple of acres of grass..and sweat it all out. Like the Ped Egg ad goes "I feel GREAT..yes.. GREAT" :)
Posted by Polycarp, Monday, 29 December 2008 5:31:59 AM
I wouldn't be too quick to write off naturopathy as witchcraft, although it would appear that in Australia anyone can be a naturopath, so I would exercise caution in doing what Gibo's friend is doing without proper medical supervision.

Incidentally Gibo, you are probably aware, the Greek word for witchcraft is Pharmacia, where we get the word Pharmacy.
Posted by Steel Mann, Monday, 29 December 2008 9:37:39 AM
ROFLMAO It's 'witch-craft' to drink water?.

I love how it's the Christians that judge something they have no understanding about. Judge not lest ye be judged.

'I wouldn't do it, so it must be evil!'. Good grief. Fear isn't faith...anyway.

She does it for 14 days and she's a heathen, but Jesus did it for a month and a bit and you worship him?....go figure.

How many drugs and treatments do we use that DIDN'T come from some form of naturopathy?.
Posted by StG, Monday, 29 December 2008 10:55:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy