The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What if there was a scientific way to change sexuality?

What if there was a scientific way to change sexuality?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hey Foxy,

I think this is one of those instances where semantics cloud the issue a little.

I read the subject not as meaning that one would be able to change one's gender but rather to change one's proclivity to be sexually attracted by a member of the same sex?

In which case I think about many of the homosexual people I've met have who railed against fate(?), DNA (?) or just plain bad luck in having been born the way they were. When they were coming to terms with their sexuality I think those people would have welcomed being able to control their sexuality.

But I also agree that such an available transformation could inevitably lead to even higher levels of condemnation than currently exists. Especially as some people already firmly believe homosexuality is a matter of choice.

I agree however, with the points you made that very few people would want to change their gender. Most of us are quite happy with the gender we have been assigned: its the gender roles which stuff us up.

Sexuality I consider to be our own personal and seperate business. A loving couple of exemplory parents are not condemned if their sex-life involves wild masochism or sadism - why should a loving couple whose sex-life includes same-sex relations therefore be made to feel that a process which changes their sexual habits be necessary?

I think its one of the (many) tradgedies of life that we have engineered a society where the way we express our love is capable of being legislated against or chemically or surgically changed.

But that's reality, isn't it?
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 27 December 2008 2:33:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear TRTL,

Thanks for explaining what you meant.
I now get it.

Giving people the option of
changing their sexual orientation is
something, as you point out, that
would need to be done after considerable
analysis of each individual case,thorough
counseling, discussion, awareness of all
the facts, et cetera. It's not something
that should be undertaken lightly.

Having said that, however, I do feel that
if this innovation was available, Yes, it
should be made available to all that
needed it.
(Accessed via the referral of a
medical professional).

Dear Romany,

Thanks for clarifying things for me.
My brain's not working properly...

You, as always, get right to the point.

Thanks.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 December 2008 3:34:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear TRTL,

I'm still not fully satisfied with my
answer to you on this topic. As you pointed
out, it's not as straight forward as it first
appears.

I guess my problem stems from the fact that
deep down I feel that most people are happy
with their sexuality.

If a poll was taken today -
most responses would probably surprise
us.

Also, I feel it's wrong to infer (and attach)
the label of 'deviance' to sexual
preferences that differ from what is
considered to be 'normal,' and acceptable in
our society.

What happens between two consenting adults,
to me, is their business.

I guess, the bottom-line here is, that I
find the suggestion of changing someone's
sexuality scientifically, in order to
be 'acceptable' in our society, rather abhorrent.
To me that infers justifying judgements
that I consider not to be right or fair.

Why should someone's sexual preference be
considered to be superior, to someone else's?

Why should our young men and women be forced
to suffer, as a result of their choice or
preference of a sexual partner?

Is that the kind of society we all want to live
in?

Who decides what's right?
And, for whom?

If we're going to have a scientific way to
change someone's sexuality - shouldn't there also
be an injection available to
make straight people gay, if they so chose?

Why only select gays?

That's what I'm having problems with in this
discussion.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 December 2008 6:31:00 PM
TRTL... it seems you began on the left foot and ended on the right.

You began with how scientists can make rats gay and mentioned playing with their brains. (Link please?) I can only find reference to hormonal influence and gay rats.

Then.. you continued on the right foot with "if a drug could be found to change sexuality" etc.. which is suggestive of an adult treatment.

No matter which way you go... the bottom line seems to be that gay-ness is definitely a malfunction or hormonal or genetic disorder and definitely not normal. Thus in the absense of a treatment which can fix this condition.. it is our social duty to assist homosexual people compassionately in their struggle for acceptable identity on the spiritual and social levels.
Posted by Polycarp, Saturday, 27 December 2008 6:41:28 PM
If such a drug is discovered, I'd vote for it to be given mandatorily to religious fundamentalists in order to turn them gay (if they're not already, albeit in the closet).
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 27 December 2008 7:36:39 PM
My initial post wasn't phrased as well as it should have been - it should have been 'sexual orientation'. If there's any moderators watching, feel free to change the title from 'sexuality' to 'sexual orientation'.

Foxy, I agree with what you've said, and yes, I'd agree the treatment should be available to straight people who want to turn gay. The sole reason why I say it would tend to be used by homosexuals, is that there are more societal pressures inducing homosexuals to turn straight than vice versa.

I don't agree or condone these societal pressures, but I acknowledge they exist, and I feel it's up to any homosexual individual to decide how they wish to deal with these pressures, though I would hope that they have the fortitude to accept who they are and move on, and I would also hope that the people around them would be supportive.

However, if they wished to be straight, then should they be given that choice? My answer is yes, though I'd be curious as to what suggestions people would have for dealing with the ramifications of such a drug.

How would we cope with the changed world? I think this is a valuable question to be explored, not only because with advances in science this may become a reality, but also because it might yield a few topic offshoots which might shed light on how as a society, we deal with scientific advancements which challenge tolerance, morality and equality, as well as means by which we support homosexuals.

Polycarp - hormonal influences, brain tinkering, drugs... it doesn't matter. Take your pic.
I'm discussing the 'what if' not the 'how.'
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Sunday, 28 December 2008 12:14:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy