The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Psychotherapy for Treating Treatment-Resistant Depression

Psychotherapy for Treating Treatment-Resistant Depression

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hello everyone,

If you have tried different medications for treating depression and have not tried any considerable success, then you may be suffering from treatment-resistant depression, often called chronic depression or resistant depression. Psychotherapy has been found to be a very good cure for this kind of depression. All the psychotherapy approaches handle a specific issue and for this they employ particular therapy aimed at resolving the specific issue. Cognitive behavior therapy is among the most common types of therapy used for treating depression. Visiting http://www.pillwatch.com/category/major-depression-treatment.html will help you to get more information on this topic. I have found this source to be highly informative.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Posted by vbvb, Friday, 28 November 2008 9:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
im reluctant to reply vbvb

because so much about the topic is about drugging people into submission[based on an arbitory process]

but the'black dog'topic is a relivant one

i have personal witnessed the mental heath act used to abuse
those fighting'the system'.

even the questions asked are all about
conspiricy[is anyone watching you?]
,THAT has many divergent responses[for egsample]

like who isnt watched['monitored'by cameras in main_street[in cash machines etc etc[who's mobile/phone cant be triangulated]who is to say a computer isnt recording your phones every movement?]

who isnt recording your every purchase[listening[for key word]in every phone call[every email[every post]

yes we are all being watched SO WHAT?

it should not nuts
to say'yes'

lest we forget one in 25 of us is certifyably insane

but few have their absurdities revealed to official notice
but that'health'act sure can shut down discent

as for cures[this is too easy]

on the spiritual level avoid distressing things[like scary movies]
avoid angry[fear,hatefull,injurious,revenge filled thoughts[they really do feed on themselves]

think of them
as bringing only more of the same

we are to a great extent what we fear,
or what we chose to react[or inter-react with]

strength comes by knowing evil only has the powewr we give it to have over us[loose the concept,loose the fear]

find enjoyment[not mindless activity[or doing nothing]

usually the object of proper treatment
results in us just getting on with fearlessly living

MANy drug types's certainly should be avoided
but here is the scoop
2 in one hundred dope smokers get phycosis
its 4 in one hundred for non smokers

but hey they[who is they]

they put out the first number
but never the second one[why not?]
it dont fit in with the spin

most of our fears are based on delusion, lies[or spin]
dismiss ALL or any parinoia[it cant help anyone]

live gently and live well

you are fine[there is nothing wrong
[its only their system/drugs that make us believe it is so]

so chuck away the fear
then chuck away their drugs
and just move on

you have one life[its up to you how you CHOSE to live]
continued
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 29 November 2008 11:35:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yesterday is gone

why bring its fears into this live-time moment
or worse fears about tomorrow

god lives only in this live time [now]
gods live time moment all the time
not in time but only now beyond yesterday/tomorrow]
now/then]

god lives IN live time all the time
live in this live living moment in time
be now with god

where god is [ie right here right now]
evil simply cannot be

pass through the valley of fear
lift up the vile/evil/veil over gods living good presnt time now[hold no judegment]

god is here now

listen to him[that still small GOOD/loving/living voice]
good of god is the only voice you need to obey

any not good is not of god

as god is the only reality
anything not good CANT BE FROM GOD
thus isnt acceptable in gods present reality

so give the bad your god given blessing
and hear gods good loving voice alone
[if its from god its all good

one bit of vile the whole idea is vile
[thus not from good]
[one bit of leaven spoils the whole batch]

dont let fears from yesterdays leavings spoil this live time present moment with god [the all loving living light sustaining all life their lives to live] thus proving he alone is judging no one

anyhow bro thanks for the topic
lets hope others post cures

we got enough negativity as it is[sorry it isnt now
but it perhaps may have been yesterday
[or may be tomorrow[

but cant be is [here now]
as long as you remember 'now '
is where good/god is and ALLWAYS was

in gods real time
all the time [now]
but yet beyond time

KNOW god is good
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 29 November 2008 11:45:57 AM
Dear vbvb,

I feel that a careful
review of someone's history with their
Mental Health provider
would be the best place to start on
deciding what kind of treatment to have.

Getting a thorough re-assessment of their condition
would seem like the first step in what to do.
They may have been wrongly diagnosed. There has to
be checks on their family history, checks for other
medical conditions, thyroid disorders, anxiety disorders,
heart problems, chronic pain, anemia, et cetera.

They must be honest with their
use of alcohol or drugs. Also,
are they under constant stress,
due to financial worries,
marriage problems, work-related situations.
Medication alone won't help in these situations.

Skipping medication doesn't help either.

There are so many factors to consider. Diagnosing Mental
Health problems is not an easy task. The severity of the
depression, how long they've had it, and what treatments
have been tried all play a vital part in guiding any
future treatment.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 29 November 2008 1:43:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent summary Foxy

"Medication alone won't help in these situations.

Skipping medication doesn't help either."

Depending on the severity medication may be required but medication alone is insufficient unless the cognitive behaviour is analysed and the patient given new tools to handle the situations that trigger depression or anxiety. As psychologists cannot prescribe medication a combined effort is needed in the beginning where medication is required.

In my case, I have suffered from depression since my teens and can report that the SSRI range of medication made a huge difference to me - previous medication (TCA's) left me in a zombie like state and I stopped taking these despite the insistence of my psychiatrist. Until the development of SSR1's I self medicated with the usual suspects of alcohol and drugs like marijuana and heroin. Somehow I managed not to become addicted and now rely on SSRI treatment to maintain a reasonable level of equilibrium combined with cognitive behaviour therapies, meditation and quite literally consciously changing my traditional thinking patterns; focusing on the good in my life. And avoiding processed and fast foods. While I have not been able to pursue the kind of career my abilities and natural preferences would have lead me to; I do function, I do make a contribution although not how I would've imagined for myself many years ago.

Despite the progress I have made I still need to take medication, have tried to ease off it but it seems I am one of those for whom SSRI's work. For mental illness there is no (and never will be) a one-size fits all treatment. Everyone needs to be evaluated and aided according to their particular circumstances and personality. If this more holistic approach was entrenched and financially support by our health system many people who are currently suffering (often regarded as bludgers, malingerers) could become fully functioning again.
Posted by Fractelle, Sunday, 30 November 2008 8:06:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle,
What the seed article doesn’t mention is, what we both know, depression comes in many flavours, intensities, durations, and causes.
The most common type has event causation (the loss of a loved one etc) this type is often temporary (in the sense it can respond well to standard treatment regimes).
Sadly there is another type often miss-diagnosed (including various forms of Bi-polar),biological based forms which aren’t quite so accommodating.

The biggest day to day problem for chronic sufferers on medication(s) (all variations)is the sense frustration of being trapped in an uncooperative mind with its drug acquired loss of acuity.

There has been some interesting work done that tends to show Bi-Polars tend to be very intelligent. If the sufferer is one such individual the "dulling effect" would emphasise this internal frustration tempting the sufferer to stop medication to regain their true self.

I have this tentative belief that this is because DRUGS TREAT THE SYMPTOM NOT THE CAUSE (short term focus). Consider our predilection for instant fixes… have a head ache, back ache, monthly pains, stressed... take a pill. If one was cynical one could wonder if this symptomatic (on going “cash cow”) approach isn’t deliberately encouraged by drug companies’control of flow private funding of research. One can also wonder at the timings of releases of drugs eg Consider the shutting off of slow release Lithium (to use up existing stocks of the Std product?)

Back to the idea of Psycho therapies I agree that some work for some people and worth a try but…. They are often little better than venting sessions for the chronic sufferers. Again there is a commercial element to this form of treatments.

Try getting “out patient” help for someone at a public hospital is an exercise akin to “the ant moving a rubber tree plant” in the song ‘High Hopes’. Likewise 40 minutes several weeks after an episode doesn’t really help.
Now I've total depressed everyone, the practical news is to seek timely support or intervention not trying to do it solo.
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 30 November 2008 10:43:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy