The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Three years on OLO

Three years on OLO

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Graham; “If anyone has changed their mind on an issue, I'd like to hear about it. Perhaps when we are engaged in the debate our minds appear fixed, but away from the debate, when it's not a matter of potentially losing face, we do change our minds?”

I can think of one very calm and lucid poster who seemed to quite considerably modify their views after a few exchanges that we had, and one totally rambunctious obnoxious poster who also seemed to modify his views quite considerably after many exchanges, although he’d never admit it.

As for myself, no. Certainly not on my core issues of environment and sustainability. But I’ve been very open to modification on subjects like Bill Henson, Palm Island, road safety, etc….although I don’t think I have ever significantly changed tack on any of them.

So yes, you’re probably right, our minds do by and large appear to be fixed.

Oh uh, hold on. With climate change, and indeed with all the really big issues centred on overpopulation and overconsumption, my very long-held views that we desperately need to maximise our efforts to bring these things under control in order to reach sustainability….is now being questioned deep within my own head.

As I’ve said a couple of times on OLO recently, I am getting the feeling that even our best efforts may actually do more damage than good, by stretching the human impact on the planet out into a longer timeframe.

It may indeed be best if we just continue with business as usual and bring on the crash sooner rather than later.

Ultimately, a quick peak and a massive die-off may be much less damaging to the planet. And anyway, we really are kidding ourselves if we think we can do anything of the necessary level of significance about climate change, population, etc. We’re deluded if we think we are going to avoid a massive crash event….aren’t we?

Perhaps the most self-centred, profit-driven, greedy, corrupt ‘antisustainabilityists’ of all are actually the greatest environmentalists of all!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 8 November 2008 8:50:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've just been re-reading some of this thread
and it made me think - has OLO ever made me
change my mind on certain issues?

Yes it has. The most recent one that comes to
mind was the one on China. I started out very
set in my ways until Romany's valid points
made me have a total re-think. Although I
don't think I admitted it at the time (sorry
Romany), she had quite an impact on me.
And, I now admit that I did change my narrow
point of view on the topic.

That's one of the things that I have appreciated
about OLO. The lucid and valid different perspectives
makes you re-examine subjects in a totally different
light.

And that in itself, I think is a good thing.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 8 November 2008 10:24:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig,
Thinking about it, yes OLO has altered my thought on some matters
The thread about girls, of 14, going on the pill without parents consent or knowledge. I was very surprized to learn that some girls can pass pubety without having discussions about body changes and sex with their mother, at least. I did not think that possible in this day and age.

There are possibly other subjects where my opinion has also changed to some extent.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 8 November 2008 10:48:36 AM
Foxy,
Your last post was extremely gratifying to me. I sincerely hope I didn't push for a particular viewpoint, but if something I said caused just one person to think about China from another perspective then I'm really happy.

As for me personally. I don't think anything on OLO has caused me to change my opinion on something because I am, as I've said before, a rather wimpy person. There are very few things upon which I actually make up my mind: I kind of do a juggling act with pro's and con's and add what I learn to one column or another, but don't very often get to a point where I draw a line underneath them.

However, if it was a question of have I learned anything from OLO, the answer would be a very definite yes. Too much to categorise. I've learned about the human condition, the variability of life, about greed and corruption as well as loyalty and unexpected kindness. I've learned things about string theory and agriculture and history and movie stars and writers and philosophers and subjects I didn't even know existed. As well as the shamefull revelation that I have been misusing the words It's for years.

And I've also made friends from these threads, whose support and involvement off-OLO, has brought me much happiness.

I've also learned to write a post in white-hot anger OFF LINE and then go back when I've cooled down and delete three quarters of it!
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 8 November 2008 12:26:19 PM
Blarst!! A damned typo…and in the first sentence of the post!! Pfpfpfpfff.

‘thanks’ should be ‘thank’. Isn’t it amazing how even one letter out of place can be REALLY irritating!

The little sscoundrel ssurvived a sspell and grammar check and at least 20 re-reads!

I share your frustration with this sort of thing Forrest, and CJ….and I do dearly wish that there was the opportunity for us to correct posts after they’ve been posted.

It would be soooo good if new posts appeared in red print for half an hour, during which time they could be retracted and altered. Perhaps they could have a heading such as;

‘Subject to alteration for 30 minutes after posting. It is recommended that you do not respond until print turns black.’

PALE; “I am just wondering if any body else thinks with the economic crunch to come perhaps we should all put in a few bucks a month to keep OLO going.”

It would be good to know just exactly what the financial situation and long-term outlook for OLO is, so that some of us could assist financially if need be, or actively recruit new posters or whatever might be needed.

Perhaps all contributors should be considered shareholders and Graham should publish an annual report as an OLO article each year (or a summary with a link to a detailed report) so that we all know just where it’s really at.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 8 November 2008 12:50:50 PM
Actually, I have heard that OLO is not the supposedly free and open forum that Graham Young would have everyone believe it to be and that Graham Young arbitrarily bans discussions that he does not approve of.
Posted by Moronslayer, Sunday, 9 November 2008 1:36:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy