The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How much power is too much

How much power is too much

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
How many kwh's does your house use in a 24 hour period. The said average for au homes is 30Kwh's / 24 hr. If 10% were cut from everyones power, that has got to add up substancially. If 1Kw were installed on everybodys roof in au, that has got to make a huge power drop from the grid. [ 1 Kw of solar array in au = about 4-5 Kwh's of power produced.]
Posted by jason60, Monday, 8 September 2008 4:19:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sure Jason, great improvements in efficiency or frugality in household power usage can potentially be made. But do you think that they will be just by way of peoples' goodwill towards the cause of climate change, no matter how the cause might be promoted?

Of course not. Top-down policies of power-costing and disincentives to use more than we need are absolutely necessary.

The other huge factor in all of this is the very rapidly increasing number of consumers in Australia, by way of the highest ever immigration rate....the vast majority of which acquire a very high power consumption rate by world standards.

So Jason, can I ask you; are you concerned about continuous rapid population growth? And if so, how concerned compared to other factors?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but the continuously and very rapidly increasing rate of power (and all manner of other resources) consumption by way of an ever-greater number of consumers is a huge factor in relation to climate change and sustainability policy....is it not?
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 9 September 2008 10:02:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's no such thing as too much power unless you cannot afford to pay for it.

It's the same with food.

It's the same with water.

It's the same with how many automobiles you have, the choices at a Chinese restaurant, and the choices of beer or wine. We are all shameless prodigals, constrained only by the size of our wallets. Conservation is good, but only to the extent of its moral or financial limits.

I want to live where I can buy whatever need and want, as far as my purchasing power (and the limits of the law) will allow. The wealthy have this ssme desire, but will never have to relinquish it, no matter the temperature of the planet. Why should the rest of us suffer, based on the deeply entrenched protectionism of global warming zealotry?

Unless and until a comprehensive public debate takes place, one having fair representation by scientists on both sides of the global warming issue, one whereby the viewpoints of either side are given equal audience, one whereby the opposing scientists are held harmless from ostracism or financial ruin, I cannot and will not accept the "popular" GW mantra. Governments around the world have paid scientists billions to prove that man made CO2 is causing GW. If these huge sums were paid to corrupt the science to reach a foregone conclusion, not the scientific truth, a public debate would "clear the air" once and for all.

Our government is too willing to accept the one-sided GW science, too quick to exclude "second opinions", and way too eager to strip us of the cheap energy that brought us prosperity. Before we allow the government to radically alter our way of life, we must verify or refute the science that got us where we are. If the science is good, then there's no harm done. If the science is flawed, it's better to find out now.

Jeff
Posted by Daisym, Tuesday, 9 September 2008 1:20:52 PM
No matter what you think about climate change, wether it is real or not, does it matter. The world would be better off without coal burners. I don't think there is anything frugal about changing the way you access power, the more you can be less reliant on power from the grid is all the better. Home made power is going to become an attractive deal. In canberra the power company is paying 60cents / kwh fed into the grid, and you buy it back for 16 cents / kwh. It is only the inbetween people that live to the full extent of their earnings, the rest save their money.
Posted by jason60, Tuesday, 9 September 2008 4:33:10 PM
How much is TOO MUCH power?

Too much power is when an innocent person is condemned and it is covered up.

Too much power is when a government gives itself a raises and refuses to acknowledge pensioners need to rise above hardship

Too much power is when the Church steals someone's child and gives it to new parents against the mothers will.

Too much power is when it is decided abortion will be decriminalised and legislates murder of the unborn baby instead. Which means if we condone and legitimise murder of unborns we can murder anyone anytime because not even government values human life.

Too much power is when you commit the crime and I do the time.
Too much power is when police say you can have your name cleared and the system leads the unsuspecting public to belkieve an innocent person is guilty.

Too much power simply - is.
Thank you.
Posted by tiensin, Wednesday, 10 September 2008 1:46:58 AM
HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH ?

I'd say....."this" much....

Lets say just hyperthetically.. that the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury .. the heads of 2 major world Christian denominations....
made the statement

"Now dear believers.. God has told me that I can marry the following categories of women..(list of categories) including any woman who offers herself to me, even if that marriage is only for a few nights, now.. be fully aware...this is ONLY for me... and not for you believers"

And.. then.. the Pope or the Archbishop proceed to enjoy the delights of a string of female hopefuls who feel that by offering themselves to the highest ranking man in the world (for their faith) that they might.. somehow receive some special blessing through intimacy with the Primate.

Perhaps it's better that I don't comment on that.. and see what others think.
Posted by Polycarp, Wednesday, 10 September 2008 6:36:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy