The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Georgia v Russia: Where are the loons?

Georgia v Russia: Where are the loons?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Stevenimeyer,
You are a true religious tragic. Not everything in this world comes down to Muslims V the Rest In fact you’ve cherry picked misinformation. I suspect that your comments are a deliberate attempt to foment mischief specifically against Muslims because it suits your idiosyncratic view of Israel’s needs.
Comments like…
• about Russian Patriot is over the top an extinct anything
• Holland going Muslim
and Your apparent smarts tend to rule out the remaining option.

Given that none of us have access to the cabinets of either government so any comments has to be a supported by fact and reason not prejudice.

There is no proof that either Russia or Georgia has a plan for genocide it’s all about control and dominance. Russia is claiming the high moral ground but with its brutal repression of Chechnya I doubt that high moraled liberation is in their minds.
Likewise Georgia is trying to enforce its sovereignty over its perceived territory. I think it’s probable that they were expecting more support from NATO.

It seems to me that if Russia wants the West to mind their own business when it subdues breakaway areas its Justification for this incursion is hypocritical and emphatically displays its intention of Hegemony of the breakaway area and ultimately Georgia.

In this case Georgia was the aggressor against the rebels. Under the UN ‘just War Covenant’ (sic?) Suppression of internal strife is covered….sort of. (I don’t agree that any such action is justified.)

A more interesting Question is what specifically determines a universal right for ‘independence’ ? I’ve yet to read a definitive definition. Anyone know of one?

The next question is how far will Russia go to enforce its hegemony over Georgia and other ex SOVIET satellites? My view here is that national pride is simply a cover for Russian Quest for power. Dr Johnson is right again “ Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel” .

BTW Russian Patriot, The USA’s its foreign policy behaviour is just as contemptible.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 4:17:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
stevenlmeyer
"All the major European countries have TFRs well below replacement rate" This is an other story, much more dangerous from the Russia-Georgia conflict
I WORRY FOR IT AND IF YOU SEE MY POSTS ABOUT IT, ALWAYS I SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGE HIGHER FERTILITE FROM EUROPEANS, INCLUDING OF CAUSE RUSSIANS, NORTH EUROPEAN COUNTRIES GAVE SOME BENEFITS TO YOUNG COUPLES, SUPPORTING THE PARENTS AND HAVE HIGHIER FERTILITY, THE REST OF EUROPEANS MUST FOLLOW THE SCANDINAWIANS IF THEY WANT TO CONTROL THIS HUGE PROBLEM.

Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 4:27:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator

I have presented the facts as they are. Russia especially is facing demographic collapse.

The proportion of the European population that is Muslim is rising year by year.

What I have stated is not even a controversial among demographers anymore. If you don't want to acknowledge the facts that is your problem.

Whether the Netherlands actually becomes an "Islamic Republic" depends on whether the Muslim populace there remains religious or becomes secularised. Neither you nor I can know that.

I hardly think an Islamified Europe "suits Israel's need."

I stand by what I said. On current demographic trends native Europeans will be an insignificant minority by the end of this century. Perhaps sooner.

Do you imagination that nations and peoples last forever?

Do you imagination that only Europeans can colonise other continents?

That the European "model" is the only way continents are colonised?

That Europe is somehow immune from colonisation?

C'est la vie, c'est la mort.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 4:33:38 PM
PaulL>"The difference is the dozen or so UN resolutions, and ...There have been no legitimate claims that the war was illegal. Only the loony-left have made this claim. "

-==-=-=-=-=-
Iraq War was Illegal, says Kofi Annan in 2004:

The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.

He said the decision to take action in Iraq should have been made by the Security Council, not unilaterally. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3661134.stm
-=-==-=-=-=-
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 4:59:23 PM
Stevenimeyer is one of the anti-muslim posters. He's saying this because stupid people are unable to do simple mathematics. He is a spinoff of the anti-Asian racists who believe Australia will become Communist because of Asian immigration. He is peddling in hate.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 5:07:50 PM
I am beginning to get used to the repetitive statement that 'such and such is illegal' and/or 'contrary to international law'. Please, before simply repeating (parrot style) such things, try and ascertain that they make sense and/or hold water?

As to the legality of Georgia's conduct, here is a very nice, extremely simple and eminently readable essay on the legalities of the various positions: http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3556349,00.html, written by Professor's of International Law for Duetsche-Welle.

Not mentioned in the article, but of some potential importance, is that having been granted Russian citizenship (as apparently all ethnic Russians in Sth Ossetia & Abkhazia have been - Russia supplied them all with citizenship & passports prior to the current events), the residents of Georgia who have taken such citizenship can presumably be legally and quite properly deported (even forcefully) from Georgian territory. All that would be necessary would be to enact a law, precluding the holding of dual citizenship by Georgian citizen's and depriving of Georgian citizenship all those who hold Russian citizenship. This in conjunction with the International Peacekeeping forces which will soon be deemed necessary, should result in a clear cut win for Georgia. As to this being ethnic cleansing, yup it is, exactly as has been practiced by Russia/Sth Ossetia & Abkhazia several times to date. This version would at least be legal (it is certainly legal to use force to deport illegal non-citizen's and even to detain them indefinitely, as is done in this Country NOW). A less drastic solution would be to simply prevent such non-citizen's from voting or having any legal entitlements/rights or freedoms within Georgia. They will leave of their own accord.

The single most important requirement, get a ceasefire and then get the UN to ensure the same. Proceed as above.

Georgia would then be well advised to invest heavily (as a priority) in air defenses (ie. Patriot, etc.), and other military hardware/training.
Posted by Haganah Bet, Wednesday, 13 August 2008 8:05:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy