The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Catholic priests be allowed to marry?

Should Catholic priests be allowed to marry?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All
A lot of problems could of been avoided if the priests with homosexual tendencies were not taken in the first place. Discrimination would be the cry from many but many lives might not of been ruined.
Posted by runner, Monday, 21 July 2008 10:51:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear runner,

I think you're doing a bit of stereotyping
aren't you?

I mean what do you regard as "homosexual
tendencies?"

How can you tell the gender preference of
someone? Unless they tell you.
And I would assume few people going into
the priesthood would.

I would also assume not all homosexuals are
into sexual abuse - the same as not all
heterosexuals are wife beaters.

You can't pigeon hole people according to
their sexual preference.

There's also a big difference between homosexuality
and paedophiles.
Perhaps you're confusing them.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 July 2008 11:09:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Should Catholic priests be allowed to marry?"

Indeed yes, Foxy. And so should Brothers and Nuns if they so choose. They should also receive a salary regardless of marital status.

Half the Brothers I once worked with are now married.

One dear friend, who after quitting, declared:

"Super? What's that? Twenty seven years as a Christian Brother and all I left with was a push bike!"
Posted by dickie, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 1:00:54 AM
Runner,
What problems are you referring too?
Homosexual tendencys occur in all religions.
I go to a AOG Church (Although I do not adhear to all its beliefs), and it was the head of this organization, Frank Houston who committed acts of peadophilia on young boys in New Zealand. He was married.

Allowing priests to marry might be a good idea. It would encourage more young men to join the priesthood, and it might help priests be better marraige counsellers. But it will not stop peadophilia among a minority of priests. Most acts of peadophilia are committed by men with their daughters - ie married men.
Posted by Steel Mann, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 8:41:52 AM
Foxy, my recollection is that Paul said something like the following.
My paraphrasing

It's an easier to focus on the job without family committments.
If the lack of a partner causes problems then it's better to have a partner.

One size does not fit all. Some people function remarkably better with a spouse, others get driven to suicide and most are in the middle somewhere. Being married does not seem to stop people being unfaithful to their committments, thats about something else. What it may do is reduce the temptation and distraction for those who do keep their vows but struggle with it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 8:43:23 AM
Foxy you write

'I would also assume not all homosexuals are
into sexual abuse - the same as not all
heterosexuals are wife beaters.'

I have no doubt you are right. We would however be blind to the fact that the vast majority of people practicing homosexual lifestyles can not hold a relationship together. I have no doubt that young boys are in more danger from homosexuals just like young girls are in more danger from heterosexuals.

I doubt whether allowing priests to marry would make any difference to abuse rates. I suspect it is more likely to be sexually active people (in the case of Priests, homosexual activity that leads to child abuse). There are always exceptions to the rule.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 22 July 2008 10:20:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy