The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rape victim's rather seeks papal audience

Rape victim's rather seeks papal audience

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
I'm just sick of the current culture of symbolism. I really cant see any practical benefits of one guy publicly apologising for something he didn't do.

It seems these days any public figure must publicly apologise for any sins commited by any individual in their organisation. Even 'raising awareness' is really just a replacement for actually doing something practical.

I cant imagine any words of apology by some public figure I don't even know being any consolation if I was wronged.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 21 July 2008 3:00:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

There is more involved than newsworthiness. The media don't like the Catholic Church and they haven't been fair. Runner isn't Catholic but he noticed. Arjay and George noticed the Pell situation. The media dislike is due to the position on abortion etc. Pentecostals who share similar values are portrayed(normally incorrectly) as silly rednecks while Catholics clergy are portrayed (normally incorrectly) as paedophiles. Locally, Pell is seen as particularly unpalatable and threatening to media due to his environmental comments, his potent leadership, and his thoughtful intellectual image. They also haven't forgotten his refusal to give Eucharist to Rainbow Sash protestors.

"But without this attention - would there have been a Papal apology?"

Probably not. With 1.5 billion Catholics scattered all over the world and issues opposing Communism etc. on the agenda it would be entirely possible if he and his predecessor didn't know what crimes and misconduct priests got up to in their bedrooms but for the media attention. Back then the Bishops didn't seem keen to rush out and tell people. The fact of media attention has been a blessing that has been enormously helpful in making the issue prominant. I presume and always have that you are correct that media catalysed action. However typing this I wonder what would have happened if medical knowledge had changed in the 80s and societal attitudes had changed in relation to secrecy and the media had left the Church alone. Given issues of legal liability and rules relating to homosexuality and paedophilia there were other potential incentives for action. It wouldn't be worth the risk running this "control group" but without it we will never know for sure.

"As for victims within Government Institutions, as Michael (huffnpuff) knows, I've emailed the PM,written to newspapers, emailed the ABC, and done what I could. If all of us were to continue putting
pressure on our elected officials, perhaps someone,somewhere, will eventually take notice."

Unless the media take the ball I suspect that it won't work but it is a wonderful thing you are doing making the effort.
Posted by mjpb, Monday, 21 July 2008 3:18:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Usual Suspect,

That's the point isn't it?
You haven't been wronged, so
of course it doesn't mean much to you.

However, to the victims, an apology
means an acknowledgement that a wrong
was committed. And its the first step
in healing and closure.

Also coming from the Holy Father, the
Head of their Church, means a great deal.

It's not something that will be taken
lightly by the victims.

And it's to the Pope's credit that he not
only made the Papal apology, but that he
met privately with several groups, and victims,
of sexual abuse this morning, prior to
leaving Australia.

It was the right thing to do.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 July 2008 3:20:31 PM
Foxy,

I have been wronged. But an apology from someone other than the wrong doer would be meaningless to me.

How far can you extrapolate this concept of symbolic apoogies by the head of an organisation. Where is the public apology from the leader of the scouts? The education minister?

'And it's to the Pope's credit that he not
only made the Papal apology, but that he
met privately with several groups, and victims,
of sexual abuse this morning, prior to
leaving Australia.
'

Not much credit from me. Words are cheap, and it's actually the easier path to placate people like this and give in to media run campaigns for symbolism.

Good on him for meeting the people privately, obviously they wanted something from him, perhaps not an apology but some spiritual guidance. Being Pope and all he should be ready to help people in need wherever possible.
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 21 July 2008 3:44:45 PM
The Pope met others, but not this family or what's left of it. I think this was a political issue and that the parents were not invited just shows you how corrupted the institution is. It's all about power, money and political influence in Australia.
Posted by Steel, Monday, 21 July 2008 4:33:42 PM
Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

They are appreciated.

Basically, after reading all of your comments
I'm beginning to come to the conclusion
that cases of sexual abuse within the Church
should be handled by the courts, not by
the Church. It's like letting the
Mafia deal with their own criminals.

Anyway, I'm grateful for all your arguments.
As I've said in the past, that's one of the
reasons why I like this Forum. You get a
variety of opinions and much food for thought.

To you, Dear Usual Suspect, I'm sorry but I
didn't know you were wronged. And I can understand
your feelings.

Tonight, Monday, 21st July 2008, at 9.35pm, Andrew
Denton speaks with Father Des Reid, who according to
TV Week, "has witnessed the best and worst of humanity."

Should be interesting.

All The Best,
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 July 2008 6:27:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy