The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Rural food supplies: is there preparation for possible days of crisis?

Rural food supplies: is there preparation for possible days of crisis?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Ive noticed a few articles on OLO about global food crisis.
They got me wondering about Australias food supplies and supply systems.
How many days food do we have? Has anyone thought of a national food silo system?
How about country folk?
They always seem a long way off from the docks and are dependent on the road and rail systems to get what they need.
How would they fare in a crisis if fuel suddenly wasnt available for a while?
National disasters are on the increase. Who's really ready?
Do country towns and communities have plans for emergencies?
Is there liaison between councils and local farmers re: possible days of crisis?
I always have at least two weeks food in the pantry...do you store food, at least several weeks supply?
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 5 May 2008 5:47:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Onya Gibo :) as soon as I saw the title..I said "This has got to be Gibo" :)

Well.. taking as our guide the 7 fat cows and the 7 lean skinny cows shown to Pharaoh, and Josephs very correct interpetation of the dream..and facing already food riots in many places.. 9 people killed in Pharaohs place in a food line...just last week.

I think we SHOULD be storing as much as we can as a buffer against the coming problems.

Gibo..I bought a large tract of suburban land in 1998, and it was because of a gut feeling.... now.. my gut is feeling very justified about that.

If I want..I can run a small herd of sheep/lambs.. maybe a few pigs.. 3 or 4 cattle..and grow all I need for survival, including rice most likely. (my missus is the expert there :)
In fact.. we could do wet rice cultivation and reap a harvest every year.

blessings bro.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 5 May 2008 7:51:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Im like a pane of glass BOAZ_David.
You can see right through me. Anyone towards "last days" can.
I got into prophecy many years ago and I could not, not believe what I collected as I expanded my search through the christian churches on "troubles" revelations.
I gathered some unpleasant stuff about a time of Judgment on the nation because of its sin. Not a Judgment for today (2008)...but one along the timeline into the future, a day off... "out there".
Early years I got into Pastor Jack Burrells book "What will become of Australia" 1975 in part mentioning a time when fuel and food would be scarce.
It gave me time to ponder on what might come; and how things might unfold and my heart began to mellow towards country folk and their distant future predicament.
A huge number of towns are far from major cities and ports and over the years Ive seen the railway lines close and everything having to be driven in by trucks. Get a shortage of fuel and many communities will have to fend for themselves.
That means what they have in their supermarkets and their cupboards and what ever friendly liaison they might have with local farmers.
So why not a national food silo system to ease the pain?
Even if we dont believe in prophecy we can still see the growing unrest around the world, the rice crisis seems at the top at the moment. Wars are spreading. Economies are getting shot. China threatens world peace I believe, as does Iran and North Korea and other rebellious nations...and our own backyard is in a mess.
Labor in NSW seems to spend its time fighting amongst itself. Rural folk are going backwards bad.
Dont know where the young chap in Canberra is in his walk with the Lord.
Maybe God Has him going to China?
Anyway I was thinking much about country people (not about prophecies, I know about them).
That block of land sounds good David:)
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 5 May 2008 8:36:17 PM
PS: reckon you would make a good Jeremiah Johnson BD.
Dont know how those guys survived. Had to be Gods Grace.
Made of steel not McDonalds tucker and computer living.
Posted by Gibo, Monday, 5 May 2008 8:46:18 PM
You are a serious loony, you do know that don't you Gibo?

A national food silo system? As opposed to what? leaving it lying around on the ground like you seem to think they do now?

Do you have any idea on how much grain and food generally Australia produces? Millions of tonnes per year. We won't be starving.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about farmers or rural folk having food in a crisis. I'll let you in on a little known secret: they make it.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 5 May 2008 9:31:43 PM
What a grin! yet the bush folk will eat far better than city ones if it came to that.
First week would see BD get his sheep stolen by the hungry mob then we would have to guard the fruit and vegys in the scrub, or share them better idea.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 6 May 2008 1:51:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy