The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beyond left and right

Beyond left and right

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
R0bert
=it should be parenting leave rather than maternity leave=
Maternity leave is different from the parenting leave, The countries which give paid maternity leave, give parenting leave too but most times not so big paid parenting leave.
=The tendency to see greater wrong in those on "the other side"
This is normal and logical.
If I think that I am an honest, fair, mature, responsible, humanist, sensitive etc and I support a political party because I thing it is the best then I expect also the people who support it are honest, fair, mature, responsible, humanist, sensitive etc.
The voters of the opposite party maybe, probably, YES! they believe to opposite values! A mind game! Always the generalization is not enough accurate but it is good for general descriptions.
R0bert I am not member from any party in Australia. I am a left voter and nothing else. My behave, the way I am thinking is very different from party members or left chair hunters. I am fully independent and if I think the left parties make mistakes then I kick them hard! I am a left free thinker and activist. I am not a left party puppy. Nothing can limit my political activities except from my ideas and my personal values.
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 7:38:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good topic Vanilla, sorry to see it hijacked. It was quite a shock to discover Gandhi a close neighbour on the social scale, but not as much as Kevin Rudd’s position so far to my right. I wonder where Howard would have plotted and await this year’s budget with renewed enthusiasm. Or do I?
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 7 May 2008 9:19:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great links Vanilla. Enjoyed them all.

I've just recently read Tim Hartford's book (he's an economist as well) 'the logic of life', I enjoyed it a lot. I think I'd like to read Thaler's and Sunstein's book to compare. Nudging to make good decisions-sounds like what parents do to their children on a daily basis!

The distinction between left and right doesn't bother me. It should give a basic indication of from which philosophical viewpoint somebody argues. Both are valid.

The only thing I find irritating is when an opinion of mine gets dismissed as being that of a feminist-leftwing-chardonnay sipping-do-gooder. (I don't even really like Chardonnay, prefer an earthy Shiraz) I try very hard, but on occasion I've stooped down to their level and thrown 'conservative right wing' back, though it isn't really an insult is it?!

A well argued challenge to an opinion exposes gaps and potential problems. That's why most of us probably prefer a forum like this than one were only like minded people form a mutual admiration club.
Posted by yvonne, Thursday, 8 May 2008 10:19:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy