The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Beyond left and right

Beyond left and right

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
cont...

Nevertheless, I'm not so convinced that we should throw out all labels, as others on this thread seem to be. Political labels can be a shortcut to others ideas about how they might handle particular issues. As long as they're descriptive and flexible rather than prescriptive and boxy, I think they serve a purpose. I also like the way we can trace certain ideas and groups of ideas back to their sources. These labels carry their history with them.

Antonios, I loved your comprehensive and passionate description. I agreed with much. Yin and yang were interlacing in much of your characterisation.

TRTL, re the "you on the left/right think [x]" stuff, yeah, bugs me too. Particularly when people interpret a commitment to freedom of speech and/or religion as evidence the leftie in question favours some particular religious or cultural group (usually Islam). Or, conversely, when people think an advocate for small government does not believe in helping those less fortunate. It's all simplistic hogwash.
Posted by Vanilla, Monday, 5 May 2008 4:26:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Vanilla,

What I'm curious about is - how do people define their understanding these days of 'left' and 'right'?

I've always thought that the 'left' prioritises social equality, while the 'right' prioritises individual responsibility and the maintenance of natural and inherent inequalities between people.

Any thoughts?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 5 May 2008 4:43:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanilla,

'Cynical dismissal of other people's motives is always the intellectually lazy option.

Of course, if we attribute base motivations to others, our own political personality gleams in comparison. It's all too easy, isn't it?
'

Too true. Now if only Fractelle would read this and think about her attacks on Col in the TAX forum...
Posted by Usual Suspect, Monday, 5 May 2008 4:44:16 PM
whatever you think about the left and right is probably true. there is one thing that they have in common, and that is spending more of your money on ridiculous policies and drafting more laws to control and manipulate your behaviour as a citizen.
Posted by Steel, Monday, 5 May 2008 5:05:18 PM
examples of spending:
-the wars and the second hand junk to go with it
-the recent punitive taxing of some alcoholic drinks

examples of control:
-the new isp censorship proposals and rigid censorship control in our country
-discriminatory banning of gay marriage for no rational reason other than to enforce control on a group of Australians
Posted by Steel, Monday, 5 May 2008 5:12:20 PM
Surprise surprise I find myself a centrist according to the test.
Posted by runner, Monday, 5 May 2008 5:42:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy