The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > They clapped us and cheered.

They clapped us and cheered.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
ANZAC day. For the first time in my life, I marched. Missed the dawn service cos no one woke me up, and they (my mates) all thought someone ELSE had taken me.

Made it to the march, in a sleepy Southern NSW coastal town, a bit like Angela Lansbury's "Murder She Wrote" abode.

Emotion was close to the surface.

It was thrilling to hear the 'drill commands' barked out by a former submariner, Parade.. attennnnTION! By the Right, quick... MARCH!

We had formed in 3 ranks, and our group of 9, all from our apprentice intake of 1965, suddenly grew by one, a ring-in "Yank"..

We were arranged "Air Force, Army, Navy" as it was the RAAFs turn to be highlighted in this area.
Not exactly a huge crowd for the 200 meters or so we marched, but all who could came. They made a point of cheering us, and clapping.

We then went to the memorial service at the country club.
The most central and in part contradictory symbols were 2 silloetted soldiers presenting arms, facing away from a central cross with "Lest we forget" vertically and horizontally in the segments.

Many of us choked up at the slightest provocation. But for me, while the historical context will differ from war to war, the one thing remaining the same, and which the cross symbolized is "greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend" (Jesus, John 15:13)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 26 April 2008 7:26:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daivd! You want to pull the heart strings of all the human beings. You have be brainwashed!, and this is not your fault. If Iam not talking sense, my life's learning's, has been a waste of time.

Give me your true thoughts, if you have both feet on the ground.
Posted by evolution, Saturday, 26 April 2008 10:45:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David,

Thank You for being so open and sharing your emotional experience with us.

All I did was buy a 'Digger's Hat' badge to support the RSL - and I watched the parade on television.

However, I too had a lump in my throat quite a few moments - so I can only imagine how you must have felt actually taking part.

God Bless and Take care.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 27 April 2008 11:38:15 AM
Boaz,

1. I hope you found some comfort in your ANZAC day, met old friends and enjoyed reminiscences. What do you think of the Govenment that put there?

" " 'greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend' (Jesus, John 15:13)" " - Boaz

2. Do you feel the clergy should fight wars, front-line, with gun in hand?

3. There is question for you on another thread:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/compose-message-general.asp?discussion=1722

Cheers.
Posted by Oliver, Sunday, 27 April 2008 2:50:06 PM
Boaz, as well as all the heart-on-the-sleeve sentimentality, did you ever stop to ponder your own position in all this as a Christian?

Forget for a moment the "greater love" bit, because as you well know that remark was not made in the context of war. Think more along the lines of "thou shalt not kill".

If you had been called upon, would you have killed the enemy that your government had determined?

How does this sit with your Christianity?

Because surely you don't permit yourself to pick and choose which commandment to observe and which to ignore?

That would seem very close to "making it up as you go", would it not?
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 28 April 2008 12:17:07 AM
Hi there people.

Of course, in the limit of 350 words, there is no possibility of encomassing all that took place, all that was felt, or all the questions which surely deserve consideration.
I didn't try, I thought I'd wait until the thread got going for that.

Foxy..thanx.

OLIVER.
1/Political Context: The question about the government which put us there (presumably you mean't Gallipoli?) This is a complex question. I absolutely know that most Politicians are:
-Self seeking
-Egotistical
-Represent certain 'interests' aside from or included in their political machinations.
-Make poor decisions about the 'people' because of all of the above.

2/ Historical context. Yet, in spite of all the points above, we are also part of History, 'our' history, and this inevitably involved alliances, obligations, and sacrifices, all of which are aimed at our survival. The primary objective of all these is.. the last, our survival, or.. perhaps being more realistic, the survival of those who run the show, and the retention of their power and privilege?

It would not matter which version of human government was in power, they would all be the same.
Sometimes we (the people) must choose, fight with them, for our greater survival against an enemy who would be far worse to us, or do nothing, and actually assist that enemy to overtake us and our families.
Our attack on Galipoli was in the context of those military alliances, and aimed not at extending territory as such, but in defending ours and those of our allies. The Ottoman Turks were equally if not more guilty of aggression, and demonstrated clearly that if given the chance, they would have formed their own version of the 3rd Riech and stamped their religious, social and political footprint over the whole world. Only stopped at the gates of Vienna on Sep 11/12th 1683 (notice the date?)

Strategic defeat of the Ottomans was neccessary.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 28 April 2008 6:45:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy