The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Political Correctness: For The Use Of.

Political Correctness: For The Use Of.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. All
Foxy: " ('Coons' in the US means the same thing as 'nig...er.')"

You may be surprised to hear that it's common parlance throughout rural Queensland too.

Having said that, while I've also encountered my share of PC-related nonsenses and frustrations over the years, in the absence of what used to be called "good manners" it was generally a benign phenomenon that seems to have had its day. At least we became reaccustomed with considering the perspectives of the objects of our utterances, as we generally do with those to whom we display courtesy.

If people were generally better mannered and more considerate of each other, we wouldn't need to continue with so-called "Political Correctness", but I'm not seeing a sudden efflorescence of civility and sociality - despite the 'Ruddslide' .
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 7:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my work, I am employed to express an opinion, efficiently and effectively. PC has no place in my mindset.

Having no time for political correctness, last Christmas, one of my daughters was taken to advising her sister’s new boyfriend to be prepared.

My girls are both outspoken and neither is intimidated by social-bullying of those who relish finding something to complain about.

Here I have done my usually thing and went looking for some quotes. The former is very close to what is true, Doris Lessing said something similar but made it pointedly political, which, of course political coreectness is not.

“Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred”

But the best quote I could find was

Political Correctness: A doctrine... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 7:23:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia's early White settlers, unlike their American counterparts who left England to the promise of a richer and freer existence, were dragged kicking and screaming from the dungeons of Newgate and the hulks of Bristol to the living death of an isolated and barren land.

They had no time to pack a copy of whatever the equivalent of
"Fowler's Correct Modern Usage" was at the time.

Their language bore the marks of shackles and carried the inflections of the destitute and the whine of the shanty Irish.

It matured in a harsh land with few of the niceties; just as those little white pantaloons do not belong on the end of an Australian lamb chop, so our ways of speech are blunter than our antecedent
tongue.

I hope that with "Political Correctness" we won't lose the character that is our language:

"Johnno's so laid-back he's practically fly-blown!"
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 7:48:40 PM
Interesting. Boaz, you misunderstood Ginx's post, and mine. While it must be satisfying for you and others here to congratulate themselves on their home-spun, plain-speaking ways, I believe Ginx's original point was that people use the term "political correctness" when actually they mean, "I'm intolerant on this issue, so I'll label my opponent PC and automatically win! Hurrah for me!"
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 9:06:28 PM
Col Rouge: "In my work, I am employed to express an opinion, efficiently and effectively"

How reassuring that Col calls a black bean a black bean.

"PC has no place in my mindset"

I wish Col's mindset had no place in my PC ;)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 9:25:25 PM
CJ: "I wish Col's mindset had no place in my PC."

*splurts red wine all over computer screen*
Posted by Vanilla, Wednesday, 20 February 2008 10:23:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy