The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > America A Debate

America A Debate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Between the 1950s-1970s with the internationalisation we moved a away from Bretton Woods [1944]. With the Nixon Economic Shock [1971?], currencies were revalued and devalued, rather than floated. To protect the US against the consequences of its huge offshore debt Bretton Woods was abandoned. As the US now has to share its economic power with the EU, Japan, increasing China and potentially India; perhaps, the IMF needs to develop a new system. An interim measure might be a standard against a basket of currencies. But ultimately the Free Market must operate. If the US looses, that its fate.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 28 January 2008 3:58:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I fully agree with every single word and thought in your post Foxy.
I however have concerns and in truth my pride in my party's great start here in government will no doubt still find some room for my concerns at home too.
I question much about the western worlds directions, as mentioned in this thread the cost of medicines and the fact only some can get true health care in America is such an issue.
In debating America we can find much to be proud of and some that concerns us, maybe it is because we do in fact need them so much.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 28 January 2008 5:03:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I'm glad that we're in agreement because you know that I look up to you so very much... You always tell it as you see it - and always from the heart.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 28 January 2008 5:25:51 PM
Belly "Self interest" drives everyone, English, American, German, Japanese.

"Self Interest" and how it effects and develops a natural bias to the interests of our children, extended family, community (tribe) and nation is a primary driver common to all people.

My experience of Americans (which is more than just in passing) is they are people like us, in some ways slightly more xenophobic than the Europeans who colonised the world but (admirably) far less influenced by matters of "class" and "faux status".

As "individuals" you would be hard pressed to distinguish them in terms of their personal values to an Australian or an Englishman, maybe a little less inclined to social services largely because of a lifetime of less expectation for government to interfer in ones daily life.

As for politics, I do not pretend to understand all the nuances of their political system. I believe it works in the sense that it is a democratic process with an executive separate from a legislature and separate again from a judiciary.

That Americans may elect Presidents who some folk here dislike is something that those with the dislike will just have to grow to tolerate.

I am sure many here would vigorously object if an American refused to tolerate who we elect as our political representatives.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 3:41:17 PM
Col Rouge you are right Australia's leader however can not change the world by one action.
This debate is wider than the Sydney Harbor heads, but we could go on forever.
Think of the rebuilding of post ww1 Europe, America paid for much of it.
And compare that action with American medical problems of the very poor.
I ask why is profit of more importance than health?
We have been lucky here so far no I blindly hate America posts but maybe it is early yet.
I have no answers as to why the poor must suffer if sick, but I have hope it will not always be so in America or any other place.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 4:50:05 PM
Gotta disagree with you there Banjo, I think people in Australia are indeed interested in the Presidential Primaries taking place in the US. I know I check the New York Times website every second day or so to see how each party's candidates are faring.

That being said, if I want American news, I go to American sites. The Australian media could probably give less coverage, with say, a minor mention after each primary, with the current status of delegates supporting each candidate. (Obama and Clinton are neck in neck at 9 each, and McCain's pulling out ahead of Romney and Huckabee. Thompson's bitten the dust and Edwards is struggling. Giulani's still warming up for super Tuesday. Exciting stuff).

Americans are warm people, even if they elected a half-arsed government. We can hardly criticise them too much for that, especially given the numbers (remember the Florida polling incidents?). If it's criticism from the left, then we should keep in mind Australia democratically elected Howard.

Though what should be noted, is that by and large, both sides of politics are agreeing that this Bush administration has been a failure. Whether it's because they didn't pursue genuinely economically conservative policies in relation to the size of government, or just that the reasons, or alternatively the handling of the Iraq war was flawed (i.e. dismissing the Iraqi army).

This is why few analysts think the Republican party has much hope of success. The democrats already hold more seats.

So, it's likely we'll be seeing Obama or Clinton in the White House. I think there'll be many parallels that can be drawn with the Australian election. Whilst it'll be a victory for the progressive side of politics over the conservative, it's also important to note that it isn't a victory for all of those who I'll loosely define as the left, because as is the case with Rudd, the new US leader will still be more economically conservative than past progressives, due in part to the evolution of the world economy, and due in part to the current financial situations we're faced with.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 29 January 2008 5:08:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy