The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > unwritten page

unwritten page

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Obviously wobbles has had little experience with infant children if he/she believes this nonsence.
"You've got to be taught
To hate and fear
You've got to be taught
From year to year
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught".

I have had in my care over 19 infant children and they themselves can decide how they will respond to outsiders and strangers. They did not have to be taught to be frightened of Santa, darkness, loud noises or loud voices
Posted by Philo, Monday, 7 January 2008 4:40:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Philo, as long as belief in God remains a significant facet of society, teaching children about God will remain important. Once my own child is old enough to understand, I fully intend to explain to him about all the various religions and Gods that people believe him. It will be entirely up to him whether he ends up believing that any of them truly exist.

Teaching about God only becomes child abuse when you attempt to convince them of a cruel and painful punishment that awaits them after death if they *don't* believe in God.
Posted by wizofaus, Monday, 7 January 2008 4:47:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Be sure to mention to your child that belief in God is not about belief in a being, but belief in the ideals of character, behaviour and attitudes. These are better demonstrated by example than by teaching. God is Spirit not a being. God is in all things moral and right - God is the spirit of perfection whom we aspire to follow. Children need to grow above their id instincts to become spiritual people. Even the atheist Bertram Russell encouraged this, he said teach a child the principles of the New Testament to children.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 7 January 2008 7:21:19 PM
Philo,

“Even the atheist Bertram Russell encouraged this, he said teach a child the principles of the New Testament to children.”

It would be interesting for you to supply the citation for that remark. I do not mean some obscure religious site, I mean one based in reality.

David
Posted by Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc, Monday, 7 January 2008 7:50:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have and read several of Bertram Russell's books and from memory it is in his book "Why I am not a Christian" or in a book of essays by Bertram Russell. The statement is from his own writings. If I get time and can cite the passage I will give the title of his book and page. I have moved six months ago and disposed of about 1,000 books from my library, but I think his books are still in storeage.
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 8 January 2008 6:00:20 AM
I assume you mean Bertrand Russell, not Bertram Russell (two different people).

While a Google search for "Bertrand Russell" "New Testament" shows up a few interesting hits, I certainly can't find any evidence he specificly singled it out for praise as far as its ethical principles went. However this page dissects (from an Xtian POV) some of his many criticisms of Christ and the NT: http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/bertrand_russell_and_christianity_part_2

The page itself is a woeful piece of argument ("Russell thinks he knows more than God"! - I'm sure he also thought he knew more than Santa Claus), but at least outlines Russell's views on the NT pretty well.
Posted by wizofaus, Tuesday, 8 January 2008 6:18:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All