The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Animal Festivities

Animal Festivities

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Here in Queensland we are hearing the Animal Welfare Refuges (which they say are full now to overflowing!) appealing to the members of the public to please consider the fate of their "unwanted" pets. Painfully inevitable and becoming so monotonous at this time of the year, as the many selfish holidaymakers dump their animals, rather than pay to put them into care, whilst they themselves are out there living it up, oblivious to the possible pain and suffering these unwanted animals may have to endure, or the "final solution" that many that cannot be placed back in society face as a result of these selfish human acts.

Society has to do something to put a stop to this disgraceful problem!

Maybe every person aquiring a pet for their child or themselves should be compelled to deposit a significant sum of money with the local Council or the like, out of which a "chipping" and "sterlization" fee (unless registered as a breeder!) is deducted.
I would also suggest that if a pet owner decides to "hand in" a pet to avoid payment of "care fees" then that particular person should never again be allowed to own a pet!

Access to Government Veterinary Services should be readily available to some animal owners (along lines similar to Centrelink Concessions) as I believe that the ridiculous outlandish fees applied by Private Veterinarians is one of the greatest deterrents to ongoing animal health Australia wide.

In the long term I believe that unless we can come up with an alternative, we will have no other option than to ban completely the ownership of both Cats and Dogs in all Residential areas, and stricter controls will have to be placed upon all Rural Cat and Dog ownership, to prevent indiscriminate cross-breeding with Dingoes and feralization of unwanted domestic cats.

I would be interested to hear the communities views on these issues, before the situation becomes totally unsustainable?
Posted by Cuphandle, Monday, 24 December 2007 10:00:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cuphandle you have my total support in fact some people should not be allowed children.
My resent hunt for my new mate Sky left me unhappy with the way we treat animals.
Sky will have a mate soon from a dumped group of puppy's, yes dumped yesterday one day old holidays?
Hope they do not enjoy them!
Strange after my search they are Foxys, or at least crossed mum is with them and headed for a new home too.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 24 December 2007 2:21:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cuphandle

This country's record for animal welfare is abominable. Even on National Forum, it is glaringly obvious that posters are indifferent to learning of or debating the subject of sadistic acts perpetrated on other species and those who seek justice for animals are often slandered and ridiculed.

It appears that most people are purely concerned about themselves and their own sensibilities and remain too cowardly to cope with the heinous facts on the ill-treatment of animals.

I have clarified my position on animal neglect many times on OLO, where I continue to recommend a legislated, mandatory short course for all potential animal owners, perhaps run over a period of six weeks and for a considerable fee. Therefore, the retards who take possession of an animal, without accreditation, should incur a prison sentence.

However, State and Federal governments continue to breach Animal Welfare Acts daily. Their endorsement and encouragement of the depraved live animal exports and factory farming is testament to the "see no evil, hear no evil," obscene approach of governments aligned to this industry. Such a good example to set for the retards by our legislators, eh?

In addition, media reports on the abandonment, neglect and/or torture of animals now appears to be a daily occurrence in Australia.

I applaud you for bringing this issue to posters' attention Cuphandle. However, I believe this country will continue to remain a nation of shame.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/17/2120846.htm

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22964229-3462,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22962873-2,00.html

http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/local/general/illegal-trap-causes-animals-cruel-death-pademelons-agony-appalls-residents-pademelon39s-agony-appalls-residents/1150308.html

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/12/20/9861_opinion.html
Posted by dickie, Monday, 24 December 2007 10:08:22 PM
Cuphandle
We too appreciate very much your opening this thread on such an important issue.
We find that many people simply are not aware of the great suffering of Animals mainly due to Government and Industry control of the media.
Its a discrace. Just to give you a example Cuphandle. Not so long ago Australia had a ship load of sheep stuck in dreadful conditions when a ship broke down for a week! without any ventilation!

Did they bring them back to shore and off load them?
No.
It was another Cormo Right HERE in Australia.

The media 'refused' to cover the story Cuphandle. Now if you were a jorno that would be a scoop story after 60 minutes highlighted the cruelty of this evil trade.

One Guy told me= I would loose my jon if I reported on this!!

Dickies idea of funds is a good one but I wouldnt trust my council with the money. I think perhaps the State and Fedral Government could contribute direct tothe elderly living alone or a couple towards vetinary and food cost through vouchers.

That way we could make sure the funds reached the Animals it was intended for and pets really are the answer for our elederly.

That would also enable a 24 hour telphone link up and some people to vist owners and their pets.

What a wonderful programe for both the elderly and the Animals.

The fact is pets should not be brought as toys for kids without very reasonsible parents to teach the kids reasonsibilty towards the Animals Care.

Belly- Good for you. Its seems your little family is growing.
What better gift at Christmass than to give a Animal a good Home.
Well done .
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 26 December 2007 8:17:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My position is that human beings should not keep animals enslaved as "pets" at all.

It is barbaric. It deprives animals of a life of freedom and dignity amongst their own kind. It also highlights the disturbingly persistent trait that people seem to need to exert control over some form of inferior being, in order to reinforce their own ego.

Keeping pets cannot be justified by intelligent human beings in any terms other than incredibly selfish and self-indulgent.

Try it for yourself.

On what grounds do you believe that human beings are justified in owning animals?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 27 December 2007 9:34:46 AM
1. "On what grounds do you believe that human beings are justified in owning animals?" (Pericles)

All my animals are refugees - abandoned and ill-treated by other humans. Compassionate humans have a responsibility to care for these animals.

2. "It also highlights the disturbingly persistent trait that people seem to need to exert control over some form of inferior being, in order to reinforce their own ego."

My animals, or anyone elses, are not "inferior being(s)."

I do not "exert control" over my animals. They have been guided into adopting good behaviour traits and my strategies have been similar to those I used when raising small children.

The animals in my possession (some are ugly) have as much freedom as they desire. I have complete confidence my animals are civilised and will never attack another animal or human - one dog I have had for 12 years.

In addition, all their needs are met and as a result, I am much healthier by being encouraged by my four-legged friends to go "walkies" daily, accompanied by my cat and occasionally, the neighbours' dogs.

3. "Keeping pets cannot be justified by intelligent human beings in any terms other than incredibly selfish and self-indulgent."

The term "incredibly selfish and self-indulgent" could also apply to those who have 3 TV's in their homes, a couple of videos, a rowdy motor-bike to disturb the neighbours or those who leave the AC on all day whilst at work, loud music blaring day and night, a flash car and a boat on the never never plan, a penchant only for the cute puppy in the window and a complete indifference to anyone or other animals in need.

Perhaps it is you who is "incredibly selfish and self-indulgent," Pericles and the much poorer for it?
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 27 December 2007 1:07:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy