The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The

The

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
All I know is that the Howard government has failed Australia on the
urgent issue of climate change; denying the problem outright and failing to set targets.

Australia is entering permanent drought. Rising lea levels threaten to devastate coastal cities world-wide. A major cause: rising levels of carbon dioxide due to our use of oil and coal.

Yet - Australians have been world leaders in developing renewable technology. What our government hasn't done is invest in keeping that technology here in Australia. We don't have to choose between the environment and the economy. The new industries of wind, solar, tidal and geothermal power offer enormous job opportunities and export markets. By committing to renewable energy, Australia has an opportunity to rebuild our industrial base and ensure a vibrant economy relevant to the 21st century.

Finally, only half the Senate is up for re-election, so whatever happens, Labor cannot win control of the Senate. That leaves three possible outcomes:

1) Liberals win government and control the Senate (as now).
2) Labor wins government, but faces a 'hostile' Senate blocking legislation.
3) The Greens win the balance of power providing responsible review of legislation for whoever wins government.

The choice is yours.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 17 November 2007 10:44:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ, the Greens are 'Reds in disguise'. My claim is based on the majority of their policies.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Saturday, 17 November 2007 11:47:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C J Morgan lets talk homophobic? is that what it is to both think it is his business but that I have no need to know?
Some from my party are of that choices again not my concern.
Now yes I may even understand the refugee status from my party some greens hold.
As a booth scrutineer I in seats greens direct voters not to give preferences to Labor, see a third come back to us FIRST PREFERENCE.
Why? well yes Labor is not the party of my birth, we too are not the voters of my youth.
Once children learned about unions and Labor from birth it no longer is true.
It boils down to two party preferred votes it always will.
Liberal or Labor.
Best the greens can expect this year or in 100 years is to hold the balance of power in upper houses do we agree?
Is it not also true voters do not share views about fairness and equity you and I do?
Then we must confront the fact self interest is more important that the wants and needs of others.
Labor can do nothing in opposition, and can not win EVER with policy's that are far away from mainstream, is that also true?
Some unions, note the s are actively promoting the Democrats then the greens in the senate, Labor third?
WHY? could it be the ALP wins a landslide in the lower house then is held to ransom by the greens?
Is that good for this country?
Green policy's are often idiotic always radical and seats have remained in conservative hands because of their preferences.
No direction no idea and bugger all chance of me betraying my class and party for them.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 17 November 2007 4:26:22 PM
Belly, homosexuality is not a 'choice'. To claim that homosexuality is a lifestyle 'choice' is a classic tactic of homophobes. It's not always conscious, and in your case I doubt that it is - but it does indicate some issues about your own sexuality that you'd probably rather not confront.

On topic, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think that a Labor government with Greens holding the balance of power in the Senate would be an excellent result in the short term. However, over time as the Greens mature as a political party, I expect that our representation in both houses will increase.

"Green policy's are often idiotic always radical and seats have remained in conservative hands because of their preferences"

Which policies are those, Belly? They're all available at the link I provided above, so would you mind indicating which policies are "idiotic" and why the rest are "radical"? Without specifics it seems that you're just parroting the ALP Right/Conservative line.

On the issue of preferences, are you aware that the truly idiotic Steve Fielding was only elected to the Senate at the last election because the ALP preferenced Fundies First over the Greens? I understand that the ALP has learnt from that monumental blunder this time.

Jack the Lad: "..the Greens are 'Reds in disguise'. My claim is based on the majority of their policies"

More vacuous sloganeering in the absence of specifics. Which Greens policies are "Red"?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 18 November 2007 8:30:46 AM
CJ, as you seem to be hard-wired to come out with the opposite view, you would probably deny anything that I wrote in reply, so prove that you're not 'vacuous' by exploring the greens' policies in detail and then see if you still don't see them as closet commies.
Posted by Jack the Lad, Sunday, 18 November 2007 11:29:46 AM
Belly, homosexuality is not a 'choice.
C JM, I can accept that the above is true. what I don't accept is that it is being promoted more & more blatantly. In my view it is an unfortunate fact of life just like a decease but unlike a decease nobody seems to be doing research for a cure. on the other hand though it may the answer to overpopulation. Maybe Bob brown is on the right track after all. Personally, I'd still prefer birth control & no assistance for indiscriminate breeders.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 18 November 2007 7:25:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy