The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The great renewable energy paradox

The great renewable energy paradox

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. All
doog,

You might want to consider how much of the wind and solar is being used and how much is being curtailed (wasted). In models of an optimal wind/solar system, between a quarter and a third of the generated energy is wasted. Does the figure you quote include the curtailed energy? I think it might.

As an aside, did you know that the CO2 emissions for wind and solar are greater than nuclear when you consider the system cost (12grams per kwh for nuclear vs 67-96grams per kwh for wind/solar)?
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 3 August 2024 1:25:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not sure of what you are talking about there fester. The output of nuclear is up to 50 grams of CO2 / kwh produced. Depending on MwH capacity. Some say nuclear produces no CO2 but that is not the case.

What ever solar, hydro or wind that are connected to the grid is decreasing output from Gas and diesel then decreasing output from coal.
There is no solar etc being dumped from the grid.
sky news will tell you there is but that is propaganda.
Posted by doog, Sunday, 4 August 2024 9:26:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
doog,

What I meant was that you have to look at the the CO2 output for the whole system and not just one component. With wind and solar you have the add ons like batteries, hydro storage, transmission infrastructure and backup generation. Add these on and your CO2 emissions are higher than they are for nuclear.

And yes, there probably is wind and solar generation being wasted, and there will certainly be more wasted the more of it is built. Curtailment is a given with wind and solar.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/wind-and-solar-hit-record-share-of-main-grid-as-curtailment-underscores-need-for-more-storage/
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 4 August 2024 9:48:25 AM
Anything there besides nuclear does not produce co2. IN summer the grid will be full of reenables and gas will be back up. I very much doubt AEMO with entertain nuclear.
Nuclear would go to waste as of the figures we see during winter. nuclear has to run full time to be any good. You cannot run nuclear with solar + other reenables. That is a bad way to go.
With another hydro coming on line we will have hydro and gas as back up.
SMR,s do not exist above 100 KWH / day. large nuke plants can not be costed they require an open check book.
Even the mention of nuclear has disrupted investment in solar etc; That is very poor goings on from an opposition govt. Who never did anything about power for 10 years
Posted by doog, Sunday, 4 August 2024 11:16:25 AM
Wholesale prices surge as wind and solar output falls to zero in South Australia
http://reneweconomy.com.au/wholesale-prices-surge-as-wind-and-solar-output-falls-to-zero-in-south-australia/

So much for that pipe dream.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 6 August 2024 12:58:23 AM
"Anything there besides nuclear does not produce co2. "

Like gas fired power and batteries, or the concrete, steel and earthworks to build hydro, and not forgetting all the maintenance activities? Hopeful for sure, but completely false.

" I very much doubt AEMO with entertain nuclear."

Since when were the plebs answerable to that bunch of Cnuts? They might as well tell the tide what to do as expect me to do as they tell me.

"You cannot run nuclear with solar + other reenables. That is a bad way to go."

That is true in the same way as it's not a good idea to mix cars with horses and buggies.
Posted by Fester, Tuesday, 6 August 2024 6:46:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22