The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is Terrorism?

What is Terrorism?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
One person's terrorist is another's Freedom Fighter.

The Afghani's who kicked America out of their country were called Terrorists, but what were they expected to do after their country was invaded? Did the Americans not kick the British out?

The iraqis same same.

Now the Palistinians are given the same Terrorist label when all they are trying to do is get their country back.

Tie it all together and a terrorist is someone or some organisation the refufes to do what the US global energy corporations want.

Of course I am correct as usual.
Posted by Random, Saturday, 11 May 2024 11:42:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why should they have the right to cause disruption to get their opinion across. They are the minority but cause the majority of disruption. The word terrorist applies to persons that go out of their way to disrupt other persons that would rather they did not come across such activities. It’s quite appropriate to penalize those persons with equally strong penalties.
Posted by Riely, Saturday, 11 May 2024 1:16:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Riely, Saturday, 11 May 2024 1:16:47 PM
The word terrorist applies to persons that go out of their way to disrupt other persons that would rather they did not come across such activities. It’s quite appropriate to penalize those persons with equally strong penalties.

Last time I checked, that is a criminal.

These days the US Star Chamber labels someone a terrorist then a drone vaporises him and his family in their sleep.

If they call them a criminal, they have to be arrested and tried. So much more hassle.
Posted by Random, Saturday, 11 May 2024 2:32:34 PM
Afghans were called terrorists by whom? Only globally designated terrorist organisation are called terrorists. Ordinary Afghans are not terrorists.

BTW. America was not kicked out of Afghanistan. Biden chickened out and retreated, living behind arms and equipment for the use of real terrorists.

Palestinians are not called terrorists. Hamas is the designated terrorist organisation.

Yes. The Americans “kicked out” the British. So what? Did someone call the Americans terrorists, too?

To paraphrase your silly final line: of course you are wrong as usual.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 11 May 2024 2:35:10 PM
BTW. America was not kicked out of Afghanistan. Biden chickened out and retreated, living behind arms and equipment for the use of real terrorists.

“If we get chased out of Iraq with our tail between our legs, that will be the fifth consecutive Third-world country with no hint of a Navy or an Air Force to have whipped us in the past 40 years.”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Posted by Random, Saturday, 11 May 2024 5:14:35 PM
Hi Random,

Terrorism has been practiced for ages by political
organizations, and nationalistic and regligious
groups, by revolutionaries and even by state
institutions such as armies, intelligence services,
and police.

The calculated use of violence to create a climate
of fear to bring about a particular objective has
been around for ages.

Nowadays, there is widespread concern that terrorists
might escalate their destructive power to greater
proportions. New technologies are giving them greater
scope in their choice of weaponry.

Listening to people like ASIO'S Mike Burgess speak
in interviews makes me nervous. His concern and
warnings to be vigilant does not make me feel any safer.
But I guess that's the reality of the world we
currently live in.

We used to fear biological and chemical weapons. Who
knows what lies ahead for us today and tomorrow?
Human cloning? Laser guns? Or shall we all die of
radiation poisoning? Or will the rising seas
swallow us?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 11 May 2024 5:52:33 PM
Ahhm Random, the country was not the Arab's, they came from Arabia
and invaded with an army and took it over, it was just the Jews who
wanted it back.
Posted by Bezza, Saturday, 11 May 2024 11:24:50 PM
To me a terrorist is someone who doesn't know why he/she hates. People who look a gift horse in the mouth & bite the hand that feeds them. He/she has been so gullible that they have lost the ability to feel guilt & feel good when they can cause harm.
At no point does a terrorist commit an atrocity for the good of others.
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 12 May 2024 8:30:08 AM
Hi Bezza,

Dr Daniel Miller writes in his article for the
Australian Institute of International Affairs:

" The wrongs and brutalities done by each side to the
other have become too numerous to count. It does no good
to try to assign blame for the latest war between
Israel and Hamas."

" The war and the specific events that have led up to it
are just more entries in a ledger written in blood and
tears. The stark fact is that there is now no act of
vengeance or retribution that Jews and Arabs could do
to the other party in the conflict that would allow them
to say that accounts had been settled on their side."

" The ledger must therefore be discarded. The only possible
peace agreement is one that looks forward."

"The rivers of blood (Exodus 7) spilled must, somehow
become waters under the bridge."

There's more at the following:

http://internationalaffairs.org.au//australianoutlook/israel-and-palestine-where-should-history-begin-and-should-it-matter/#
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 12 May 2024 10:05:41 AM
"The rivers of blood (Exodus 7) spilled must, somehow
become waters under the bridge."
Foxy,
People such as yourself & Paul1405 are preventing that outcome from becoming reality !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 12 May 2024 12:22:13 PM
Indyvidual,

How are we doing that?
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 12 May 2024 1:02:17 PM
Ahhm Random, the country was not the Arab's, they came from Arabia
and invaded with an army and took it over, it was just the Jews who
wanted it back.
Posted by Bezza, Saturday, 11 May 2024 11:24:50 PM

Do you really want to play that game? I'm up for it but just how far back do you want to go? Only as far as supporting your story? There is more you know.
Posted by Random, Sunday, 12 May 2024 1:56:23 PM
How are we doing that?
Foxy,
by refusing to look at the evidence !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 12 May 2024 5:08:10 PM
How are we doing that?
Foxy,
by refusing to look at the evidence !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 12 May 2024 5:08:10 PM

Your universe is fact fee indy, you would know one if it bit you on the arse.
Posted by Random, Sunday, 12 May 2024 5:33:01 PM
Anyway, back on planet Earth ...

I contend that a terrorist is someone who will not do what the USA wants.

Oh, and there is another definition.

Any leader of a country that decides to trade oil in some other currency than the Petro-American-$.

Saddam did it, gaddafi did it and look what happened to them. How dare they!
Posted by Random, Sunday, 12 May 2024 5:36:50 PM
A definition of "terrorist"?

I thought Foxy settled it long ago already:

A terrorist is someone with a strategy to instil terror (=fear) in others in order to achieve their goals(s).

"the country was not the Arab's"

Well of course, no country belongs to humans - all land and all seas are God's:
once you are able to create a country (...good luck with that...), then I can concede that it yours!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 12 May 2024 6:53:11 PM
Hi ttbn,
"Only globally designated terrorist organisation are called terrorists."

Israel’s Foreign Minister Demands UN Designate Hamas a Terror Organization
http://www.voanews.com/a/israel-s-foreign-minister-demands-un-designate-hamas-a-terror-organization/7523722.html

Countries recognizing Hamas as terror organisation:
Argentina, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Paraguay, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union have designated Hamas as a terrorist organization.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_recognizing_Hamas_as_terror_organization_New.svg
- Seems to only be designated a terrorist organisation by American vassal states / Five Eyes
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 13 May 2024 12:46:09 AM
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_recognizing_Hamas_as_terror_organization_New.svg
- Seems to only be designated a terrorist organisation by American vassal states / Five Eyes
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 13 May 2024 12:46:09 AM

That is my point. The American Empire now calls anyone or any organisation that gets in his way ... a terrorist.
Posted by Random, Monday, 13 May 2024 5:19:55 AM
Surely the use of violence to make either political or
ideological aims must be condemned. When anyone uses the
slaughter of innocent civilians to advance their
cause at that point the cause becomes immoral and unjust.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 13 May 2024 9:48:48 AM
Foxy,
Yes however, too many think being a citizen is somehow a license to sit back & wait for others to "do something" ! As a citizen one is expected to contribute to keep society on the straight & narrow rather than fleeing & then cause disruption in the country that takes them in.
If those innocent children had parents who want the best for them then these parents would at least make a stand against any threats. Yes, people need help but when help is taken for granted you arrive at a situation such as we witness now. Why don't these demonstrators go to Palestine & help the Palestinians free themselves from Hamas ? I tell you why they don't, they want Hamas that's why but they don't accept the consequences & want everyone else cough up ! What will Australians do when the numbers of Hamas supporters & the Left in general get to a point where they will flex their muscles ? Society must introduce self-discipline rather than accept for Govt to impose authority ! I'm tired of sensible Westerners being branded the troublemakers, time for the others to take responsibility & then we should help them.
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 13 May 2024 10:30:02 AM
Hi Foxy,

"Surely the use of violence to make either political or
ideological aims must be condemned. When anyone uses the
slaughter of innocent civilians to advance their
cause at that point the cause becomes immoral and unjust."

Yes I agree, attacks on innocent people to make either political or ideological aims must be condemned.
I often think of terrorists as people who use an 'Ends justifies the means mentality'.

In the context of Israel / Palestinians, IDF are fair game, whilst the Palestinians are under occupation.
While I don't support Hamas, (because I'm not Islamic) I do support the right of Palestinians to fight oppression and have their own sovereign state.

Random is correct though, in that 'One person's terrorist, is another persons freedom fighter', and that the US designates groups that don't do what the US wants 'terrorist organisations'.
- The funny thing about it is that the US is also quite happy to work with these same types of groups when it IS in their interests.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 13 May 2024 10:51:13 AM
I agree with Dr Daniel Miller who wrote:

"The wrongs and brutalities done by each side to the
other have become too numerous to count. It does not
good to try to assign blame for the latest war
between Israel and Hamas."

"The war and the specific events that have led up to it
are just more entries in a ledger written in blood and
tears."

"The stark fact is that there is now no act of vengeance
or retribution that Jews and Arabs could do to the other
party in the conflict that would allow them to say that
accounts had been settled on their side."

"The ledger must therefore be discarded."

"The only possible peace agreement is one that looks
forward. "

"The rivers of blood (Exodus 7) spilled must somehow become
waters under the bridge."

http://internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/israel-and-palestine-where-should-history-begin-and-should-it-matter/#
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 14 May 2024 10:02:42 AM
There are a lot of mutts who believe two wrongs will eventually make a Right !
Posted by Indyvidual, Wednesday, 15 May 2024 9:18:04 AM
I'm not sure if this 'terrorism' description can be complete without including ones own governments. Here's Rishi Sunak stating most sincerely:

http://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/1790077559507472538
"Putin cut off the gas supplies. It had a devastating impact on peoples lives, and threatened our energy security"

- THEY put sanctions on Russia, THEY worked with US to blow up the Nordstream pipeline, and THEY BRAGGED about decoupling from Russian energy.
THEY sanctioned Russia and were hoistered by their own petard.
THEY instead did more damage to themselves just as I told you all 18 months ago.

Here - Sunak even stated so at the time - March 18 2022:

Sunak warns UK faces £70bn hit from EU ban on Russia oil and gas
http://www.ft.com/content/70fc440a-4fb4-4d8f-93ab-888f68285131
'Chancellor tells cabinet colleagues an immediate embargo would tip Europe into recession'

These people are such total liars, they will be the end of all of us.

Timeline of the UK energy crisis
http://www.nea.org.uk/energy-crisis/energy-crisis-timeline/
"The energy crisis has been gripping the UK since autumn 2021, leaving millions struggling to pay for their energy bills. Here, National Energy Action has a timeline of how the energy crisis unfolded.

The energy crisis has been driven by wholesale gas price surges and the inefficiency of much of the UK’s housing stock. This has seen the number of UK households in fuel poverty rise to 6 million as of April 2024, and has helped drive the inflation causing the cost-of-living crisis."

- The UK government has driven a further 1.5 million British citizens into poverty themselves.

Are they the real terrorists?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 15 May 2024 9:52:46 AM
FirstFT: Biden sharply hikes tariffs on Chinese EVs and tech imports
http://www.ft.com/content/63b9a544-4de1-4550-9e0f-184ff28b75c8
- The tariffs on Chinese EVs will rise to 100%, quadrupling the current tariff of 25%.

* This is what's frightening America - The Seagull !

Small, well-built Chinese EV called the Seagull poses a big threat to the US auto industry
http://apnews.com/article/china-byd-auto-seagull-auto-ev-cae20c92432b74e95c234d93ec1df400

What will Australia do?
Will our citizens get access to these cheap Seagulls?
We don't make cars anymore so what do we care who makes them?
Or are we loyal to the EU and UK markets and stand against the chinese;
Will the Australian regulators say 'anti-competitive behavior by China'?
- but really it will just be denying Aussie citizens of a cheaper option because the West cant compete and is now going protectionist;
and therefore our governments would be SLOWING the takeup of EVs themselves.

Climate agenda takes a back seat when profits are involved right?
- And they want us to take their climate agenda seriously?
I thought the world was coming to an end, now it's all about profits first and foremost?
Which narrative is it?
Just pick one already dammit!
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 15 May 2024 10:10:55 AM
Sunak's lies 'so desperate, one could feel sorry for him': Russian MFA
http://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/sunak-s-lies--so-desperate--one-could-feel-sorry-for-him---r

She's right you know.
She says it how it is that Maria, I wish we had some 'empowered females' like her here in the West.

Do you all not realise our western leaders just make themselves look pathetic and stupid?

Al-Mayadeen.
Why do I have to go there to get a story that tells the truth?
While I'm going down this path, why don't I go over to RT?

Israel claims lowest civilian casualty ratio in history
http://www.rt.com/news/597605-israel-gaza-civilian-death-estimate/

Wtf? Need I say more here?

Geez, lets go to Iran, why not?

Iran strongly condemns Australian sanctions
http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2024/05/14/725593/Iran-strongly-condemns-Australian-sanctions

"Iran has strongly condemned Australia’s sanctions against several Iranian senior officials, entities and companies allegedly over the country’s peaceful missile and drone programs.

Australia’s sanctions against Iran came on Tuesday a month after Tehran launched missile and drone attacks on the Israeli regime to punish it for an airstrike that killed Iranian generals in a diplomatic mission in Syria

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kan’ani slammed the silence of Australia and its allies in the face of Israel’s violations of international law and its recent attack on the Iranian embassy premises in Syria."

Well he's not lying.
Where's all this propaganda?
Maybe it's just all about stories the West would never cover themselves?

Oh wait hang on...
Maybe it's just donors and lobbyists controlling what we can and can't see?
(Another form of censorship that some Pro-Israel commenters here - who are bent out of shape over Albo's 'Disinfo Bill' would never complain about)

Bloody Israel - Firsters. [Rolls eyes]

How the Israel war lobby coerces regulators and employers to fire Australian critics of the genocide in Gaza
http://michaelwest.com.au/israel-lobbyists-target-doctors-media-business/

"A government-subsidised workforce of Israel lobbyists is targeting regulators and employers across the fields of media, medicine and business to sack employees who criticise the government of Israel’s war crimes against the Palestinian people. Joel Jenkins reports.

The powerful reach of the Zionist lobby in Australia has been on display the past few weeks..."

Oh... bloody democracy again dammit!
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 15 May 2024 11:26:46 AM
'peaceful missile and drone programs'
- That might be at least considered to be a little 'iffy'.

Or are we not seeing the bigger picture?
That Israel wants to remain the dominant military force in the region, and Iran has now said:

'Ok, if you want to keep messing with us, we're ready, we will respond, We can hit you.
Were the hypersonic missiles that landed less than 30 k's from Dimona not a serious enough demonstration for you?
If you wish to escalate things, we can respond in kind.'
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 15 May 2024 11:39:05 AM
This could be terrorism
http://x.com/squatsons/status/1775060842360549409
par for the course from a terrorist state

You've really got to laugh at the stupid Israel first evangelicals
Bible tells them thou shalt not kill, and to love their enemies, following Jesus example.
See that destroyed aid vehicle in the x post above.

That was a good Samaritan.
Maybe these fools forgot the part which says 'Whatever you do to the least of my brethren you do unto me.
Palestinians are semites too.
Bible also says 'thou shalt not bear false witness'.

And here they all are blindly supporting murder and genocide with their lips zipped.
They all better hope that God isn't real because according to their own beliefs they are going to spend eternity burning in hell.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 16 May 2024 5:21:26 AM
The definition of 'Terror' as in 'War on Terror' has always interested me. But I have come to the conclusion that it is a deliberately constructed blanket to justify the otherwise unjustifiable killing of anyone they want to.

Without it, 'criminal' would have to be arrested and tried according to at least international Law. Instead we have a drone program and Guantanamo Bay.

Forgive me for the conspiracy theory, but what is happening in Gaza has all the hallmarks of a planned strategy and makes me wonder about the origins of the October attack. It is not beyond the abilities of Mossad to engineer such a thing. After all if you want ti smite your enemies, just copy what happened after 9/11.
Posted by Random, Thursday, 16 May 2024 7:28:22 AM
....but what is happening in Gaza has all the hallmarks of a planned strategy .....
Random,
Yes, just like the agenda of the Palestinians which is presently back-firing !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 16 May 2024 9:07:42 AM
There's more pro-Palestinian rallies world-wide
even with Jews taking part.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 May 2024 9:24:14 AM
even with Jews taking part.
Foxy,
No-one's ever suggested that some Jews were immune to nonsensical mentality ! Just as there are Australians who'd rather live in anarchy instead of peace.
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 16 May 2024 6:23:05 PM
Indyvidual,

Whatever humps your camel.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 May 2024 11:18:37 AM
Indyvidual,

I posted this joke on another discussion.
I think it's appropriate here as well:

How many Zionists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Four.

One to stay home and convince others to do it.

A second to donate the bulb.

A third to screw it in.

And, a fourth to proclaim that the entire Jewish people
support and stand behind this action.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 May 2024 11:45:50 AM
It is quite possible that the attack on the 7th October was stage 1
of a plan. Stage 2 was the certainty that Israel would respond as it did.
Hence why so much effort was put into building all those tunnels.
By exposing their population to a war in a restricted area it would
generate world wide support.
A long term plan but a successful one.
Posted by Bezza, Saturday, 18 May 2024 11:26:00 AM
Dear Bezza,

I agree with your analysis - "a long term plan but a successful one".

Hamas not only does not care about the Gazan population - it does not even care about the lives of its own fighters. Should all "Palestinians", nay all Arabs even, be dead, but also all Israelis - Hamas would consider it as its victory.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 18 May 2024 9:21:34 PM
Compared to the USA, Hamas is small time.

America is the global terrorist.
Posted by Random, Sunday, 19 May 2024 11:24:14 AM
Sound familiar..? This from the Nuremberg Trials.

Ohlendorf argued that even if Hitler was mistaken in his belief that the Bolsheviks, Jews, Gypsies, and others posed a mortal threat to Germany, the “executive measures” by the Einsatzgruppen were justified as anticipatory self-defense. The defendant insisted that he was in no position to second-guess the Head of State. Accepting Hitler’s orders without question showed the absence of any criminal intent. If the accused believes in good faith that anticipatory self-defense is lawful, the criminal intent required for conviction is lacking. Hence Ohlendorf, admitted killer of about 90,000 innocent people, should be acquitted—despite his assurance that he would do it again. Ohlendorf’s reasoning struck me as a recipe for world catastrophe.

(Benjamin B Ferencz).

History shows us much that we learn little from. Freedom fighter, terrorist or just poor foot soldiers doing what he (or she) was ordered to do ?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Sunday, 19 May 2024 4:10:23 PM
History shows us much that we learn little from. Freedom fighter, terrorist or just poor foot soldiers doing what he (or she) was ordered to do ?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Sunday, 19 May 2024 4:10:23 PM

It has always been that way for the soldier, not everyone likes killing people like Ben Roberts-Smith.
Posted by Random, Monday, 20 May 2024 6:27:18 AM
Afghans were called terrorists by whom? Only globally designated terrorist organisation are called terrorists.

To paraphrase your silly final line: of course you are wrong as usual.

Ordinary Afghans actively worked to get the foreign devils out of their country. Most Taliban there were Afghans. It follows that any Afghan that resisted was Taliban and therefore a terrorist.

Any person or organisation that does not do what American interests say, is by default a terrorist. It's convenient, that wasy they can be summarily executed rather than being tried as a criminal.

What a truly evil approach to controlling the planet.
Posted by Random, Wednesday, 22 May 2024 8:37:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy