The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When Religion Is Taken To The Extreme

When Religion Is Taken To The Extreme

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
Thank you everyone for your help.

I was raised a Catholic. I went to Catholic schools
the head nun thrashed my hand with a cane so hard
that my hand swelled up. My father removed me from that
school. I don't go to church every Sunday and I'm
probably not a very good Catholic. I have no wish
to preach or convert anyone. I think that respect and
kindness are important. Except for those who behave like
arse holes. (joke).
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 13 August 2023 6:13:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like this quote:

Morality is doing what is right,
no matter what you are told. Religion
is doing what you are told, no matter
what is right.
( H.L. Menchen).

Ah, those Sisters of Mercy.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 13 August 2023 6:23:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks mhaze for the correction it was indeed 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy', that is even more compelling evidence that the meaning of life is indeed 42, and no one should argue with 'Deep Thought'. Fro memory I think the answer came out on a punch card, how antiquated is that.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 13 August 2023 6:37:19 PM
Dear Foxy,

«How would any of you have answered the man?»

I agree with David F., it was none of his business.
This is strictly between you and God, that means privately between you and You alone.

---

Dear David F.,

«She exemplified the misnagid attention to ritual, and he exemplified the devout belief of a Hassid.

Three Hasidim were arguing whose Rebbe is greater:

The first Hassid said: "My Rebbe was traveling in the woods when a huge storm arrived, the rain lashed and drenched us and we could not see a thing, so my Rebbe waved his arm and said: "Water to my right, water to my left" and our wagon traveled in the middle, perfectly dry".

The second Hassid said: "My Rebbe was traveling in the woods when a huge fire raged and was about to devour us, so my Rebbe waved his arm and said: "Fire to my right, fire to my left" and our wagon traveled safely in the middle".

The third Hassid said: "it was Friday afternoon and we were traveling home, but the road was rougher than we expected and the sun was setting, the Sabbath was coming an we could not afford to be stuck there in the middle of the road for another day, so my Rebbe waved his arm and said: "Sabbath to my right, Sabbath to my left" and we continued on in the middle till we got home straight to the Sabbath dinner".
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 13 August 2023 6:52:26 PM
Funny to watch the habitual totalitarian statists in here, regard human beings as a plague of noxious pests and approve mass political killings, who worship the State as a superbeing, over and above society, aiming at ends of its own choosing, the apotheosis of the greater good, the source of moral and economic goods, charged with guiding us from the paths of error, our salvation and redemption. It can cure the sick. It can fine-tune the weather in 500,000 years time. It can make economic goods "free".

So brainwashed and gullible, believing they're so clever and superior, patronisingly clicking their tongues at the 'religious'. Laughable.

Perhaps you should be the change you want to see?

Oh that's right, you only do slogans and forcing others to obey, you're not interested in actually practising what you preach.
Posted by Cumberland, Friday, 18 August 2023 1:21:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy