The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Opus Dei And Twenty Million Dollars

Opus Dei And Twenty Million Dollars

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Hi David and Yuyutsu,

One thing that indicates to me that God the physical or God the spiritual, detached from human kind, are a figment of human imagination, is the way in which God's personality has changed in human terms over a very short period of time. A few hundred years ago it was "God The Vengeful", a hateful God, always at the ready to inflict retribution on all transgressors of his word, a God with no compassion for the sinner. Then somehow in a short space of time God changed, today its, "God The Loving" full of love, compassion and forgiveness. One God with two distinct personalities. How can that be? It indicates man manipulates God's personality to suit his own thinking at a particular point in time.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 5:46:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

I reread your post. You wrote "I must assume that you were not merely referring in your question to God's existence, a trivial question which I already answered in the negative neither once nor twice (and I do hope that your memory at 97 is still sharp as ever), making it perfectly clear that God cannot exist."

We agree that God cannot exist. My memory at 97 is not as sharp as ever. I am trying to read Kant's 'Critique of Pure Reason', and it is a struggle.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 5:59:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David F.,

«We agree that God cannot exist.»

I don't know whether we do:

Whereas I claimed all along that God cannot exist, you still seem confused and undecided about this issue because you said:
«To me God is neither a form of energy nor an object. It is a human fantasy and does not exist.»

But human fantasies do exist. Do they not?

«The Greek, Roman and Norse gods were Greek, Roman and Norse fantasies, and God is a current fantasy.»

The Greek, Roman and Norse presumed-deities are gods with a small 'g' (a topic I addressed in my previous post), thus have little to do with God.
Here again you claim that God is a fantasy whereas fantasies (current or otherwise) do exist (or at least did).

---

Dear Paul,

«Is there God(s)»

I do not understand this expression - what do you mean by "God(s)"?

«God the physical or God the spiritual, detached from human kind, are a figment of human imagination»

God does not exist, neither physically nor spiritually, neither in heaven nor on earth nor in human minds - is that not enough? Or are you perhaps claiming that a figment of human imagination created the heavens and the earth?

«God's personality has changed in human terms over a very short period of time.»

So you believe that God has a personality?

«It indicates man manipulates God's personality to suit his own thinking at a particular point in time.»

Man cannot manipulate personalities that do not exist, but man has always been manipulating their own thoughts, they constantly do and will continue to do so as long as they exist. Is that surprising? What has this to do with God?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 7:59:53 AM
Dear Yuyutsu,

I don't see God as essentially different from the Greek, Roman and Norse gods.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 9:02:47 AM
A bit of light relief:

You say that God exists
I say that isn't so
You seem to think it's really true
It's something you just know

I say think whatever you like
I really do not care
I've got science on my side
Of which you're not aware

So when we both leave this earthly domain
Who'll be the last to laugh
The one who believes he'll never rise again
Or the one up in the skies?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 9:29:37 AM
God is inferior to the Greek, Roman and Norse gods. I have reflected on my last post. The Greek, Roman and Norse gods had mates, and those mates moderated each other. God has no mate, is overloaded with testosterone and has inspired intolerance, persecution and wars. The Roman, Greek and Norse gods were not exclusive. One could worship Mithra and also Jupiter. Getting rid of God and getting back to polytheism would be an improvement. Getting rid of both would be a greater improvement.

Seneca, a wise Roman, said, “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.”

God took over from gods because rulers found getting people to accept that rulers were placed there by God secured their rule. Religion is the handmaiden of tyranny.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 7 February 2023 10:00:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All