The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Where To For Our Over Six Fives.

Where To For Our Over Six Fives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Yuyutsu wrote: "Shall we strive to gradually lower that age of freedom from formal economy and aim for 0% employment and the end of all slavery by 2100?"

A noble goal. Automation extended world wide with those designing the automata doing it for love.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 22 December 2022 5:20:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seems to have got away from the thrust of the argument. I'm talking what will develop over the next 20 years and beyond, 2041. The elderly will be an ever increasing percentage of the population, gave some statistics for that, and there is no reason to doubt that isn't the trajectory for our society. Fewer children, more older non productive people, few productive workers paying tax. The dilemma presented by this scenario is simple; With an ever increasing number of non productive in the aged sector, will the ever decreasing numbers of productive taxpayers be able to, or want to, supply the needs of the non productive aged section of society.

Indy, you tell us the idea is to get old so you can be less productive. Okay, whatever works for you.

Aidan, " People tend to be at their highest paid just before they retire." That may be so, but there are other factors and pay is not always an indicator of productivity. Seniority and longevity in the organisation is often a factor. If productivity was the sole determinant of remuneration then people like professional tennis players would be in trouble. I note you say "just before they retire", how's their productivity and income 20 or 30 years after retirement? As their income producing assets are run down. In fact if you are living off investments you still need productive people to generate wealth so you can receive an income from those assets.

Yuyutsu, thanks

Foxy, what you say about older Australians contributing through volunteering is very true, but that does not elevate future demands on heath, housing and general aged services that will needed to be supplied by a diminishing number of taxpayers.

The 2021 Intergenerational Report covering the next 40 of the economy prepared by Treasury, paints a picture of a declining workforce, and at the same time a far greater demand on aged services being supplied by government.

Something to ponder,

If half of Australians 13.25 million were suddenly turned into centenarians, with the other half in support how well off would we be? Both halves.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 22 December 2022 5:31:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

I certainly don't have all the answers. However I
feel that if we as a society tried to change our
mindsets about older people we may improve things
for everybody.

By that I mean that if older Australians were
regarded as important contributors to the country's
labour force and if we allowed older people who are
able to work, and want to continue working being
employed would help not only in maintaining their good health,
and maintaining diversity in the workforce, it would reduce the
demand for publicly funded pensions.

Just a thought.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 December 2022 6:54:06 PM
cont'd

There also would be advantages for the other half -
for younger people to garner the experience and skills
that older people possess in their professions. Passing
their information and skills to younger people would be
beneficial to us all.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 December 2022 6:56:58 PM
you tell us the idea is to get old so you can be less productive.
Paul1405,
Gawd, you're one twisted git ! Most retired now have already contributed way more than you ever will !
When we got old enough we retired therefore we're now less productive. That's the idea ! Git !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 22 December 2022 7:14:41 PM
I'm not old, it's simply not true
My heart is young, the time just flew
I'm staring at this strange old face
Who's that standing in my place?

My body's not in disrepair
Although there's grey in my thick hair
I sometimes feel a little tired
But in my mind I dance inspired

This old age thing is not for me
I prefer to continue to be free
I'll just pretend I'm in my prime
To age too fast would be a crime

I'm just 40 in my head
It's still so long until I'm dead
So please don't see me in that way
I'm staying young, if that's OK.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 December 2022 7:26:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy