The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What does it take to make a murder 'racist'? > Comments

What does it take to make a murder 'racist'? : Comments

By Andrew Jakubowicz, published 7/1/2010

Indians are angry not so much about the violence and exploitation but rather that Australian governments deny there is an issue.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
The Indian Govt insists that these attacks are racist. Do they mean that Indians have been selected for an attack because they are Indian?
All people living in big cities are more liable to attacks than is the case in my small rural community.
Personally, I can't tell the difference between Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Tamils, Burmese or Bangladeshi's.
Maybe we have a class of thugs that target people with coffee coloured skin but would that mean that they were racist? Seems more likely that they would be targetted because they wouldn't fight back. I wonder what would happen if someone picked on a Ghurka!
Posted by phoenix94, Thursday, 7 January 2010 9:47:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Claims of racism really need to be accepted both ways. The racially motivated attacks against whites by the Lebanese gangs was also played down. There was denial by police and government and the whites called xenophobic, racist etc even though they were the victims. So now we have mixed race attackers and the race of this attacker unknown. African seem to be prominent in these attacks but also asian and so called wog gangs that appear to include ango-saxon. After the hysteria over Lebanese gang crime it appears the government and police have decided it is best to downplay race of perpetrators. Even though denial and lack of action was the main ingredient that led to the Cronulla riots they repeat the error.

However the Indians simply presume it was white racism and the filth that has printed againt anglo-saxon may have damaged relations for a long time. It always starts local, like south western Sydney, but when downplayed it becomes a wider issue. Initally resentment against Lebanese in Sydney not addressed led to resentment toward refugees and muslims in general.

It would have been far more intelligent to admit we are allowing in too many for money and not considering enough their ability to fund thier studies, live in reasonable areas and actually receive a superior education. That is our error and we need to admit it. the pressure on these under prepared students has led to a high suicide rate I believe.

So as usual, in summary, I blame the Politcally Correct Lecture Circuit that bans race from being mentioned. You cannot have the villians being Australian and the victim being some other nationality.
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 7 January 2010 9:54:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let’s turn this on its head is this in fact an example of racism by India, is a Indian life more valuable than a non Indian? Are Indians only getting worked up about Indians being killed by non Indian’s? It looks like the Indian chap in NSW was killed by other Indians so all's well there then.
The other thing I find interesting is, around 100 people a day are murdered in India, 3 or 4 of these deaths are dowry deaths. Am I being racist for thinking that, that should be a greater concern to Indian news channels, then the death of someone who has chosen to leave Indian and to live and work in Australia? Australia is still a far safer place then India. Indians and the rest of us will have a small chance of being robbed ,beaten or killed whenever we step out into the street. Reducing this risk is what the Police are focussed on. Indians are just as important as the rest of us, they shouldn't get better treatment then the rest of us. I don’t think it’s us who are the racist here .
Posted by Kenny, Thursday, 7 January 2010 10:47:25 AM
India has behaved really badly, however our very own reporters say Australia is racist. That implies Australia is a "race" when it isn't. The stereotype is that Australia is a white race so it actualy racist to use such terminology.

Easier to call a spade a spade when it happens. White guy commits race hate crime, Lebanese Australian commits race hate crime. Tamil who attacked the Sinhalese was racist act, does that make Australia racist? No, it makes that particular person a racist. This needs to be dealt with as soon as it occurs then people feel they have been served justice.

This has happened to all races just the Indians have some sort of superiority gene and expect red carpet. Does not mean some claims are not valid, just the re-action is malicous racism in itself. Plus the spokeperson is a media tart and seems to live his life to get another story into print. The Indians that staged a fire bombing of their business for insurance and claimed it was racist attack also makes me believe it could be over stated. They love the publicity and hatred it all incites.
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 7 January 2010 11:09:15 AM
Unfortunately the media determines what is racist. In South Africans many white deaths at the hands of blacks is not racist. One black death at the hands of white is racist. A race hate filled suicide bomber in Israel is a freedom fighter. Problem is most don't think enough to see through the propaganda.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 7 January 2010 11:09:18 AM
Add to above
Hey, Indians know what inter-communal hostility can produce; they know how discrimination, ethnic power and exclusion works; they confront these issues day in and day out and have done so for years. They come to Australia to try and get away from that. What Indians are angry about is not so much the great deal less violence and the exploitation that is here, but that they are not given special treatment and residency on arrival. After all is that not what non Indians get when visiting India.

There I fixed your last paragraph.

To the author I’m all for anti racism and non violence, but you need to take that black arm band off and see that this isn’t a white problem? No matter how much you may loath your own culture, all cultures are guilty of racism and it doesn’t help to signal out whites or worse to project it where it doesn’t exist.
Posted by Kenny, Thursday, 7 January 2010 11:22:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy