The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One in three victims of family violence is male > Comments

One in three victims of family violence is male : Comments

By Greg Andresen, published 27/11/2009

Government policies have been based on the assumption that almost all perpetrators of domestic violence are male and almost all victims are female.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23
  13. All
Shivers I get what you're saying and glad you said it; especially re: the rubbish Conflict Tactics Scale; the deaths of women and children and the fact that many women are in greatest danger trying to leave the abusive situation. Damned tragic. Have you seen some of the awful biz on the provocation defence?

Paw and others, I'm a feminist and have no trouble having women's violence brought to light, however I am opposed to bashing either sex and making violence by one sex an excuse for the other's violence to be minimized, excused or ignored. I've provided assistance to men in distressing relationship situations a few times over the years. It's very hard to persuade them to seek legal advice; to call the police or to step away from the abuser and leave the premises even until the situation calms down. Menz groups could help men by providing them with positive strategies to protect themselves and encouraging them to access services that are available and willing to assist.

Paw can you provide a link to the stats to which you refer. The thing is, are you referring to raw numbers or percentages ? In raw numbers, women will perpetrate more occasions of child abuse if only because they do at least 3/4 of the child care. Also, people speak about emotional and verbal abuse as if men don't also do that; abuse comes in mixed bags, in my experience.

Doug I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I know it takes a lot to persevere with anyone with mental health issues. However, it is also the case that MANY male abusers obtain what is called a Section 32 or 33 under the MH Act in NSW to enable them to obtain counselling orders and psychiatric treatment for their violent behaviour.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=NB02064.pdf

Drug and alcohol use is often a complicating feature for both sexes.
Posted by Pynchme, Saturday, 28 November 2009 1:07:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see all the supporters of violence against men are still spruiking their poison. You can console yourself with the thought that as you read this, for every woman who got hit last night, 4 men did. You go grrrls...
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 28 November 2009 6:06:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The concept of violence, was once simple, it meant actual physical injuries and/or damage.

However like most concepts it has been manipulated, and linked to manipulation, coercion, psychological abuse etc.

Bruises are easy for people to see, however emotional manipulation/abuse is very subtle and hidden. So usually the perpetrator remains hidden/invisible.

Now take for example the concept of financial abuse, where a bloke can be accused of abuse, simply because he gives the missus limited money, now take rationing a step further, she rations sex, notice that the concept of rationing sex, is not included in sexual abuse.

Typically feminists will only include concepts that support their dogma, and selectively reject concepts when equally applied that do not support their dogma.
Posted by JamesH, Saturday, 28 November 2009 7:24:39 AM
Shivers, I would recommend you look again at the research on the One in Three website. The Overview page contains many items that aren't derived from the CTS, such as crime figures for domestic assault, police reports of family violence, intimate partner homicides, admissions to hospital for family violence injuries and domestic and family violence protection orders. I would also suggest looking at the FAQs page, where the other issues you have raised are addressed in detail.
Posted by percusso, Saturday, 28 November 2009 8:47:24 AM
My Son was born in October 1993, My wife goes back to work early 94 late Jan early Feb, sh/t was occurring in her workplace and started coming into our home mid to late 94, she commences to use amphetamines to continue to work and the rows start building until May 95 we decide to separate as she is sleeping around to get the drugs and rowing every second day and she signs custody over to me and our son and I look for a flat to move to with little or no assistance for a man and child from any agency(just not available) after things settle and my wife is on a Mental Health Plan we attempt rebuilding the marriage early 96 and for about 10 months things do seem to be working then late 96 she goes back to using amphetamines and sleeping around early 97 she gets arrested with our son present
Then rows start again and it is alleged that I Bashed and Starved our son DoCS remove our son May 97 the B&S allegations prove false and vindictive but the people that made those allegations still have our son and DoCS commence all efforts to give our son to these very people taking every word that they say as gospel and this verballing has continued with lie after lie year after year and it is all my fault as I am the male and whatever a female says whether she has proof or not is gospel 9 years I put up with this and DoCS will not allow me to access our son. The rotten bastard that made the low allegation of B&S at the start is controlling the show and DoCS wont do a thing. We separate 2006 still the lies are going on Feb 2009 the ex's mother places more lies before a Court for the removal of our son while I am facing trial Feb 2010 with a totally different yarn from the ex as to our son's removal
Still I am the villian
Thanks from
Dave
graysond49@yahoo.com
0421 949 734
Posted by dwg, Saturday, 28 November 2009 9:05:09 AM
Percusso, I did do what you suggested before I posted. I even went to some of the original sources - the journals etc. I also visited the FAQ's page. My opinion will not change with a second visit. I recognised, from my study and work, the authors and their reports. There there is much other research available that does not majorly substantiate the viewpoint of such reports. It has been my experience that articles such as this, tend to cherry pick.

Both men and women dish out abuse. And women can be violent, and are actually getting more violent than they used to be. It's a fact that cannot be ignored, and while this occurs, there will always be some research that discusses women's use of abuse and violence against their men-folk. But between the sexes, there are some major differences, such as motivators for use of abusive behaviour, acknowledging responsibility, long-term outcomes for the victims and the levels of DV that result in catastrophic consequences.
Posted by shivers, Saturday, 28 November 2009 10:26:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23