The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tony, Joe and Kev: God protect us from the true believers > Comments

Tony, Joe and Kev: God protect us from the true believers : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 20/11/2009

The terms 'politician' and Christian' are well on their way to becoming an oxymoron, if they aren’t there already.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Who would you rather have in control of your destiny:

- Someone who makes rational decisions based on logic and evidence?

- Someone who does what they think their Sky Daddy wants them to do?

The further and the quicker we separate religious delusions from the exercise of political power the happier and safer we will all be.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 20 November 2009 12:33:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Baxter Sin
I agree. The Born Again Mr Bush swapping Jim Beam for Evangelical Christianity as his drug of choice and using 'God' to return to the dark ages with torture, special rendition and Guantanamo Bay. It is so easy to backslide.
At least we have a model move away from in those Islamic countries that have not separated State and Religion at any level. Turkey seems to be leading the way in separating State and Religion in an Islamic state. I hope this is the way forward.
Any Politian of any religion that seeks to combine the two is bad news. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and so on show us what happens when Politics and religion are mixed.
This is without mention the religious factors involved in our treatment of refugees, Aboriginal Australians and many more minority groups.
Religion needs to be confined behind the closed doors of religious buildings and as an act between consenting adults.
That does not necessarily mean that I do not believe in God, only that those who falsely claim to be the arbitrators of God's will on earth have no place in running our society.
Posted by Daviy, Friday, 20 November 2009 12:48:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let me get this straight.

Ms Wilson purports to expect religious folk to be kind to their fellow humans? Religious folk who are politicians to boot!

Ms. Wilson, you need to go back on your meds.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 20 November 2009 4:07:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jennifer,
this is a subject very close to my heart, in fact I'm a little miffed that you've beat me to it; I've been posting elsewhere on precisely this point. Whatever premises governments base themselves on constitutionally, these have to be observed practically if citizens are to cleave to them. Religions have had their day, and their prelates and oligarchies have shown themselves to be consummate hypocrites--as have the flocks that they shepherded. The commandments are routinely observed in the breach. On the other hand, secular institutions have no better record.
I believe out principles should be based on reason and humanism, but enlightened ideals have to be observed first by governments!! Only then is the government in a position to exact justice--by first exemplifying it! The human race is full of inspirational rhetoric, but in practice we are vicious hypocrites.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 20 November 2009 5:27:53 PM
Oh I see its okay for the evolutionary based gw religious politicians to fly around in their private jets preaching restraint to others. Whilst Hockey's views on Scripture are heretical and non sensical it is a pathetic attempt to paint him as uncompassionate as the leftist views have led to more drownings over the last couple of months than at any other time. The compassionate secularist religion takes the self righteous stand that they are the compassionate ones but in Jennifer's own words 'the disconnect' between what they preach and do is far removed.

Hockey along with Rudd does Christians no favours by claiming to follow Christ and then visiting strip clubs, abusing staff, speaking with foul mouths and being gullible or deceitful enough to carry on about man made global warming.. Their actions align a lot closer to the secularist than they do Christ. Unfortunately Politicians on both sides today say anything to get elected. I actually have more respect for the go hating Greens who don't try and hide their paganism than I do pretenders. Both Labour and Liberal and National have those.
Posted by runner, Friday, 20 November 2009 6:09:59 PM
Kant (and his dromedaries), however, is decidedly not the way to go, at least not writ large. We have to walk before we can run, and let Kant and co precede us.
One has to be cryptic from time to time.
These comments at least make sense to me.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 20 November 2009 6:59:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy