The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wretched of the Earth > Comments

The wretched of the Earth : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 20/10/2009

Asylum seekers are in a state of desperation and despair. They cannot live in their own country. They have nowhere to go.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hi CJ, thanks for the measured response, very condescending, but measured. I went through the OLO discussion to which you referred and I can’t find any answers to the questions I asked of you. You did, sort of, attempt Q5 on the Tamil issue but you have still not given any indication for the “basis” for your perspectives which was what I was trying to understand.

Maybe you just don’t wish to go there, that’s OK. Not sure I really expected you to anyway. I’ll leave it there.
Posted by spindoc, Sunday, 25 October 2009 8:37:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi spindoc. Sorry to seem condescending - perhaps exasperated might be a better term?

The 'basis' for my position on asylum seekers is quite simply human compassion and decency towards others. I'm not a religious person of any description, but I'm a strong believer in the so-called "Golden Rule", i.e. do unto others etc. As opposed to the "I'm alright Jack, stuff you" approach that seems to be the 'basis' for most of the refugee-bashing that goes on in this forum and elsewhere.

Socratease - history's not your strong point, is it?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 25 October 2009 8:56:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ

'Do unto others' could be totally undermined by any group of people who decide to do only what is best for them and stuff all the others rules for civility.

Like queue jumping...

I have not a desire to see the values of others imposed upon me, nor mine on others. And you suggesting I should apply your 'golden rule' is presumptuous and arrogant. It smacks of your 'I'm alright Jack, stuff you' attitude.

Take a little while to get your head around it ... it's indicative of a quite old Australian attitude ... stoic independence and an hints of an 'up yours' theme.

;-)
Posted by keith, Sunday, 25 October 2009 9:19:50 AM
keith: << 'Do unto others' could be totally undermined by any group of people who decide to do only what is best for them and stuff all the others rules for civility.

Like queue jumping... >>

Firstly... THERE IS NO QUEUE. Unequivocally so in the case of Sri Lankan Tamil refugees.

Secondly, desperate circumstances make for desperate measures to escape them. Your attempt to twist the 'Golden Rule' doesn't reflect at all well on you.

Be honest, keith. You don't really believe the crap you wrote in your last post, do you? Rather, you're desperately trying to make any specious argument you can to justify treating these wretched people inhumanely.

You know, "I'm alright Jack" etc.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 25 October 2009 9:32:52 PM
C J Morgan<there’s been a significant Tamil population on the island of Sri Lanka for over 2000years but don’t let mere facts get in the way of your grossly simplistic tribal theory.>

As Socratease points out the number of years be it 200 or 2000years makes not one bit of difference to my theory that the 20year Tamil war, waged by the Tamils for a separate country in Sri Lanka was the end result of having two big tribes wanting control in one country. These kind of conflicts don’t have a time frame they can fester for centuries. It makes immigration (the taking of refugees included) something that needs to be looked at with a serious assessment of long term future consequences.

I have said before when people say how well multitribalism is working in Australia that you can’t make that judgement in such a short number of years because sometimes simmering hostile undercurrents don’t reach flashpoint until quite a lot of generations in the future when something like the huge growth
in population or severe economic hard times , failure to intregrate ,issues of control ( a la IRA type issues) results in violent attacks or conflict between tribes,(ethnic groups).
This is unlike the simplistic view of people like C J Morgan, that all you have to do is take people in and they will always love you and never turn on you in any way
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 25 October 2009 9:56:36 PM
Well after much reading and going around in circles I do not think it in the best interests of Australia or Sri Lanka for Australia to accept refugee claims from the country at this time. There appears sufficient evidence for some international commentary to suggest the LTTE have not been defeated, just increasing their efforts offshore in countries like Canada and Australia. So the war machine moves offshore but does not die. The protest march in Toronto, where women and children wre used as human shields in cause for concern.

The fact even some non members of LTTE actively engage in funding and do not deny support is cause for concern. However even more concerning are claims Tamils that refuse to support fundraising or activities in Australia are cut off from the community and left isolated from the support group.

I agree with Andrew Bartletts's suggestion that the key is to pressure Sri Lanka so that transparency of the post war process will succeed in ruling out excuse...or requirement for this type of journey. However very fragile relations as the actions of the Tamil Tiger supporters in Canada and thier heavy handed pressure tactics resulted in the severance of ties between Canada and Sri Lanka.

This problem will fester unless treated on home soil and meanwhile our ignorance is pushing Sri Lanka into the arms of Iran.

So though there could be valid claims on these boats I still cannot find any evidence that they could not have simply boarded a flight. Sri Lanka does not appear to really want them to stay. Those in screening camps are the ones most likely to be in the LTTE and those in IDP camps hardly likely to have a spare $15,000 in their pocket.

Does not add up as valid but we are nt skilled in detecting such people that have documentation.
Posted by TheMissus, Sunday, 25 October 2009 10:25:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy