The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The wretched of the Earth > Comments

The wretched of the Earth : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 20/10/2009

Asylum seekers are in a state of desperation and despair. They cannot live in their own country. They have nowhere to go.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Well CJ if by vacuous you mean I don't personally abuse people if I disagree with their arguments then my comments are indeed vacuous. However I left using name-calling as argumentative device during my primary school years and have tried to argue using reason and facts. As for "pretending to sit on the fence" I guess it is a lot more comfortable than actually sitting on a fence or in your case falling off a fence.
I don't see in this site "odious vilification of some of the least fortunate people in the world";I see many contributions from people who don't share your views but then I thought forums like OLO exist for the civilized exchange of views.
Posted by blairbar, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 5:20:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's very hard to tolerate some people .
But I will never give up .
Racism why are some people such passionate hate plus purveyors.
It can only be ignorance .
Ever heard anyone say " I'm having a great life gee it's terrific being so ignorant". Sounds stupid but thats where they are at unfortunately .
The suggestion that the current refugees are "The Rich" because they paid 15 grand for the privilege of risking their life in a old tramp from their homeland across the Indian Ocean , a measure of their desperation .

One of my Dr's is a Sri Lankan as is his wife he is a Muslim his wife a Buddhist , I have had the privilege dining with them in their home , let me tell all that you don't know anything about Curry until you have done Sri Lankan .

Kevvie let them in I'm done with Chinese Grub .
Posted by ShazBaz001, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 9:35:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
E.Sykes “People who arrive on our shores without prior authorisation from Australia, with no documents, or false documents are not illegal.”

If they have the intention to circumvent Australia’s Migration legislation they are pursuing an illegal action and attempting to illegally enter Australia”Illegal” is the appropriate adjective … – regardless the spin you would like to give it.

Leigh “No illegals should set foot in Australia, ever!”

Exactly – ship illegal entrants back and let them wait in queue to be objectively reviewed, examined and tested, along with others who are patiently waiting for due process to occur and who are probably more deserving of the limited allocation of refuges visas for which these “illegals migrants”, who are simply trying to queue jump by illegal means.

To be honest.. attempting illegal entry should be an action which forfeits the right of any future entry on the basis of bad character.

Stezza “However, I think the main debate centers around how we distinguish between genuine refugees and illegal immigrants.”

I guess, someone who tries to gain access to Australia using illegal means answers your reasonable and valid concern (ie – paying a smuggler to bring one to Australia is the clue to any refugee versus illegal status).

Spin doctor hits the nail on the head.

blairbar: Concerning CJ Morgan as “ the most consistent purveyor of bile on this site “

Yes the resident moron holds that title.. and seems to wear it with honour but like most old dogs, his bark is worse than his bite…

To all those who think “open entry” is OK… we have migration legislation to protect the Australian community from criminals, those who suffer contagious diseases, those of poor character and who would be a burden on the public purse.

We have a limited genuine refugee intake.

Asutralia must never submit to the anarchy of those who choose to pay smugglers and criminal gangs to suit their own selfish perceptions of “entitlement”.

There can be no “entitlement” without first complying with an "obligation".

The “obligation” is to submit to Australia’s Migration processes.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 2:24:44 PM
I won't hold my breath waiting for blairbar to castigate Col for his gratuitous insult.

Since Col seems decidedly thick when it comes to asylum seekers, I'll just remind him that:

(a) It is not illegal for asylum seekers to enter Australia by whatever means, by virtue of our status as a signatory to the UN Convention.

(b) Asylum seekers who make it here are screened for health problems and character checks, and also tho check the veracity of their claims to be bona fide refugees - the argument is whether or not they should be imprisoned while those processes occur.

(c) There is no queue.

You haters might eventually learn that repeating lies doesn't make them any more true. But I won't hold my breath on that either.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 7:20:19 PM
People rabbiting on about the 1951 Convention don't seem to understand that the thing is 58 years old. It was fine for displaced persons after the war. It was fine for a generation who did the right thing and waited patiently to be relocated. The types we are talking about these days are of entirely different cultures to us, and their standards and mores are nothing like those of the people who came to Australia under the 1951 Convention. Those people, although some were in conflict with us during the war, thought and acted as we did.

The people now arriving here illegally (not very us for starters)haven't got a clue about life in the West. Most can't communicate in our language; most will never work here because they haven't got the skills or the language to communicate; most are lawless in the sense that, where they came from, you have to look after yourself and pretty much anything goes.

Prattling on about an outdated refugee convention - which most of the the countries of the illegals and refugees didn't sign - is unmitigated rubbish. Most of the people who refer to the parts of this irrelevant document which suit them don't understand it in total, and the thing simply wasn't meant to allow and encourage the country shopping and swapping that is going on now.

I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet on what I think is a sure thing: few, if any, Western countries would sign a modern equivalent of the 1951 Convention.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 7:27:15 PM
Morgan,

Haven't you got anything better to do than rubbish other posters?

I have been the target of your ignorant abuse as much as anyone; but, haven't you noticed that it has made no difference, knob-head?

You are a sad little man who even complains about the 'racism' of his customers. What is your business, by the way? Corner match box and cigarette card seller?

With your attitude to your fellow Australians, I'd be surprised if you made a living. You are the last person who should be dealing with the public.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 7:33:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy