The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hey, hey, blackface comedy > Comments

Hey, hey, blackface comedy : Comments

By Peter West, published 12/10/2009

Surely there should be some controls on TV shows that seem to be free to show us all up as racist and idiotic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 15
  15. 16
  16. 17
  17. All
The question of whether Australia has racists in this country is irrelevant here. We're no different to any other country but I believe we have less racists than most countries.

The intention of the Hey Hey skit wasn't to offend black people but to make fools of themselves while immitating the Jackson Five, as they had done 20 years ago. The whole point of the Red Faces segment is for people to come on the show and make a spectacle of themselves and the only people who should be insulted are the contestants as they brace themselves for a lashing, and sometimes the embarrassing 'gong', from the judges.

There clearly was nothing racist about that skit. The Michael Jackson impersonator had a "whiteface" painted on, just like the other four wore the "blackface". Harry Connick Jr overreacted and acted the way he was 'expected' to act. It was simply a publicity stunt. He is a hypocrite and has worn the "blackface" himself during a film while impersonating a black preacher.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/873091/harry-connick-jr-impersonated-black-preacher

It's ironic that Australia first gets branded 'racists' when a few Indians are bashed in this country, yet when Indians impersonate a black American group, Australia still has to wear that label for their actions.

During the bashings, there was no mention in the media that two of the perpetrators were of African descent. There is never any mention of the countless white Australians or other Australians that are bashed each day in Melbourne. Melbourne doesn't have a racial problem but instead a problem with drug abuse and violence.

My point is that it's become too easy to point the finger and yell out "RACISTS". Political correctness has gone overboard elsewhere and Australians have generally not allowed this to compromise their laid back attitude and their sense of humour. I hope this doesn't change because of something as trivial as a Red Faces skit.
Posted by Amelia Nosehart, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 2:26:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"He is a hypocrite and has worn the "blackface" himself during a film while impersonating a black preacher."

Nice try, but no cigar.

If you're familiar with American TV evangelists, you'll recognise the tan and pompadour hairdo straight away. He's not in blackface at all.
Posted by Clownfish, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 3:52:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't smoke ;)

He many not have worn black shoe polish and it's questionable whether it's a natural tan or he's wearing makeup to darken his face, but he is wearing a wig and he is dressed up in a black preacher's outfit and he is impoersonating a black person for a laugh.

If Harry Connick Jr did the MAD skit in this day and age, he would have had the same response from others as his was to the Jackson Jive skit. He did it during a time when Political Correctness wasn't rife. Likewise the Jackson Jive team did the skit 20 years ago and repeated it in the Hey Hey Reunion.

If Harry Connick Jr wasn't part of the show, no one would have made a fuss over it. Australia was the target audience and some yank made a big deal of it and blew it out of proportion... as yanks do!
Posted by Amelia Nosehart, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 5:29:09 PM
Yabby> Sorry Rexy, but it wasn't racist. Was any hatred of race expressed?

No need to be sorry Yabbyy, you are right. The intent of the act was not racist. If I may quote:
Houellebecq> the racism here comes down to make-up and costume standards
(correct me if I I have interpreted your statement wrong Houellebecq)
RexMundi from my post 1653 12/Sep>the props and costume caused it to be in the context of one of the panel judges

So the end result is..... racist.

Yabby> Was it based on humour? Yes.
Untwist your knickers Rexy, for no racism was involved.

Come on dear old Yabbyy, does humour really negate racism? The original black and white minstrel were most definitely done for humour and they were racist.

Yabby>If the Americans don't understand our humour on Australian tv,
that is their problem, not our problem, for it was screened here,
for a local audience

How very introverted Yabbyy. If Australia wants to be anything more than an insular bit player in international affairs, we are going to have to understand more than our own culture. Maybe some people do like the idea of fortress Australia, but I personally think that we have more to offer the world.

ozzie> Seems the Indian Dr (he described himself as Indian) and his Multicultaural friends are quite racist. Why are we blaming everyday Australians when this has little to do with them?

Because everyday Australians are swarming into forums like this and especially international ones having a spray and trying to defend it. Nothing quite like watching an Australian with their back up telling the rest of the world they are to stupid to understand.

Amelia Nosehart> If Harry Connick Jr wasn't part of the show, no one would have made a fuss over it.

Yes, but he was and look at what happened. The producers should have thought about that.

Rex
Posted by RexMundi, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 7:04:46 PM
*If Australia wants to be anything more than an insular bit player in international affairs*

Hey get real! Australia has 22 million people, China 1200 million,
India 1000 million, America 300 million, Europe 450 million.

Keating was right, we are at the arse end of the world, even if its
a cute arse :)

This was simply a friendly dig at the Jacksons. Any high profile
people have to face that, especially if they can't get over their
own self importance. If Clowny was so ignorant that he did not
notice they were singing a Jackson song, well they wern't there
to have a dig at Barbara Streisand :)

If you think that we have to give up our sense of humour, our
tolerance and be 100 PC, because somebody somewhere might be
offended, well sorry old son, the rest of Australia is hardly
behind you.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 7:40:32 PM
What is wrong with having black skin and curly hair. It seems to me the people who thought there was something wrong with getting dressed up like that are the ones who are racist.
Posted by sharkfin, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 1:22:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12