The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Expect a bushfire warning and you can expect disaster > Comments

Expect a bushfire warning and you can expect disaster : Comments

By Roger Underwood, published 4/9/2009

Proposed new technological gizmos should not be relied on to warn people about bushfire danger.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This article raises some important practical considerations regarding how to effectively warn people of impending natural disasters, preferably with time for them to protect themselves. However, like the great bulk of discussions about promoting disaster preparedness and effective responses it takes no account of the psychological factors that inhibit most people at risk from taking even minimal precautions with the inevitable result that, when a disaster does occur, its impact is greatly magnified. The traditional approaches to fostering preparation have been to provide education usually backed by threats of the terrible consequences that will follow a lack of preparation. The failure of this scare-based approach has been repeatedly demonstrated over decades of disasters, just as it has been shown to be largely ineffective when used to encourage people to be more healthy. The problem is that, when you try to change a person's behaviour in pro-safety (or pro-health) directions by scaring them with the consequences of not changing, they have two choices. They could change their behaviour as suggested, as authorities hope they will, but what humans are naturally more inclined to do is to discount the risk, "Bad things do happen, but to someone else." To take precautions is to admit I'm at risk, that makes me anxious, so the easy way to ease my anxiety is to take no precautions. Attempts to encourage widespread, effective behavioural change to promote increased safety from potential disasters will not really work unless the education is accompanied by practical advice on how to manage the anxiety prompted by taking the precautions. Steps for doing this, and for managing the heightened anxiety arising on days of high risk, are set out in a brochure freely available for download from the website of the Australian Psychological Society at www.psychology.org.au, by clicking on the Bushfires link under Psychology Topics. We hope many people will access it, share it with their neighbours, and emergency services will incorporate it into their public education activities.
Prof Bob Montgomery, President, Australian Psychological Society.
Posted by ProfBobMontgomery, Friday, 4 September 2009 11:29:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I grew up in the country. I learned to light fires, just as prior to white settlement, the Aboriginal community regularly burned the grassland. I am now too old to be lighting fires or fighting fires. As of yesterday I made a donation to my local Rural Fire Brigade (money they will use for fuel) to come in and burn off the dry grass land prior to the hot weather arriving.
It is my belief that too many urban dwellers are now living on the edge of rural areas, who have no understanding that fire can be a good friend or a dangerous enemy.
My home now has an established firebreak around it.
We must accept responsibility for our own home and protect it from fire.
Posted by Country girl, Friday, 4 September 2009 1:40:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The facts in Aus are that the southern half of Aus can be subject to big fires. Even in the north there are fire at times. However the further south one goes, generally, one can expect hot dry summers with some extreme days each year.

Like the author, I am loath to be critical of those that lost so much last summer in Vic, but the fact remains that many were neglegent in allowing fuel so close to their homes. Nearly every year there is a disastorous fire somewhere and, as Country Gal says, one has to take steps to reduce the hazards in our enviroment.

Would one build a home in NQ without making it cyclone proof?

In recent times we have had Ash Wednesday and the Canberra fires, so how much warning do people require?

I see some further problems with a fire warning system. A rush to go causing conjestion on roads and possible disaster caused by a vehicle accident or fallen tree, trapping many in cars.

I also see a vast increase in burnt homes simply because they are vacant. This will lead to increased insurance costs generally

I live in a high fire risk area and we have elected to stay and fight. However we have done about all we can to reduce the risk and increase our chance of saving the home.

Gravity fed water system with sprinklers on house and verandah. Green surounds with only a few trees and sprinklers on yard fence. Our pony, kept in designated area west of yard by electric tape, ensures low fuel levels. Our own small truck with tank and pump. These are the main aspects of plan.

A home can be made a refuge with a little thought and work. Appreciate and understand the enviroment in which we live.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 4 September 2009 3:21:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You do not need any more bushfire warnings. What you need is to open your eyes. It's your responsability to make your property as fire proof as possable. All the fire warnings won't fix that.
Posted by Desmond, Saturday, 5 September 2009 1:25:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We already have the tech for mapping and prediction it's owned by the Dept; of Defense why are they not used.

The RAAF should be able to provide maps showing hot spots , Temperature and direction of fires by producing new maps at 30 min intervals ; THIS WOULD ESTABLISH WIND DIRECTION AND FIRE SPEED AND ANY WIND SHIFTS .

Only problems might be Fire Personnel reading Military Grid Maps ; this can be remedied with an Education Program .

Convincing people to move would be simplified if they can see it all happening 'Birds Eye View'in their own lounge room .
Posted by ShazBaz001, Sunday, 6 September 2009 3:46:51 PM
It is all about backburning and decentralisation of popualtions along with more railways throughout the State of Victoria and in other states also. Expanded rail networks act as antural fire breaks.
Appeals to architects and underground shelters throughout towns is part of the denial that is going on. The Royal Commission basically had it answers provided due to the terms of reference. Most of the submissions spoke of back burning yet were glossed over as part of the political establishment's subservience to the Greens and associated pantheistic philosophy grousp that pose as secular and arional outfits.
In order to break the control of the Greens and their affiliates join and support the Democratic labor Party in all States.

For NSW electors, visit us at http://www.dlpnsw.com/

and make a difference today.

For all other States visit http://www.dlp.org.au
Posted by JCurtin, Monday, 7 September 2009 10:58:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy