The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear instability > Comments

Nuclear instability : Comments

By Helen Caldicott, published 14/8/2009

Australia seems determined to lead the way to an unstable world whether it is global warming or a nuclear winter.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
In years to come when it is realised what damage to progress has been done by people such as Helen, we should adopt the term "Caldicott".

Like a Ludite, it will describe a person who fears the future and uses fear to lobby against progress.

Helen has been successful, with her peers, in stopping nuclear power development and spreading, fear of the industry. With no thought to the consequences apart from her own fear of people's instincts.

Does she now realise that if her groups had not lobbied against nuclear power we may not be in the AGW position many believe in? That if we had continued to develop the industry we'd have 10th or even later series reactors, that might even be able to use old fuel rods as fuel, thus we would have no waste at all?

The nuclear wars she feared never happened, not because of her lobbying, because people really are not that stupid after all.

Of course the fear of war is central to a good "Caldicott", like running out of water or everything burning up and then the seas will rise, is used as the central fears of AGW.

Now she wants yet more "Caldicotting", all for her own precious position to be maintained as a professional lobbiest, conferences, speaking engagements, maybe a book contract?

So now coal is the new target, well no stopping a busy person is there? Lot's of attention available to an experienced doomsayer, but there is going to be a lot more competition, and she could end up "Gored", or even "Flaneried", she might even be "Wonged"!
Posted by odo, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:17:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ODO So name calling supports your case well done.
Did you actually read the problems on nuclear energy and resources that with present technology and extremely long lead times it is not or was a solution.
Perhaps you are happy to have the waste in your back garden.
Posted by PeterA, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:57:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As alluded to by ODO above, Caldicott really needs to become updated on the latest generation of nuclear power.
The latest generations of fission machines have virtually no waste as they use their fuel rather than converting it to close to weapons grade material. They no longer have the old style rods that became jammed on a couple well known occasions that have led to meltdowns.

The nuclear industry has learned from these problems and has moved on. Unfortunately, Caldicott and her merry band of Luddites would have no fear mongering issues to stand on if they came up to speed on the latest nuclear technology. Then maybe they could rubbish GM Holden for making polluting vehicles in the 1950's and 60's.
Posted by Bruce, Friday, 14 August 2009 10:57:20 AM
Helen has the same problem that the climate change skeptics like Ian Plimer have. They passionately believe they are right but the vast majoirty of experts in the respective fields don't agree with them.

There are many credible, peer reviewed studies on the full lifecycle cost and GHGs from nuclear power that disagree with the study from Storm van Leeuwen and Smith she is relying on.

Helen clearly believes the climate change scientists but elects not to believe the power generation engineers. She can't have it both ways.
Posted by Martin N, Friday, 14 August 2009 11:05:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Had nuclear power existed in WW2, much of Europe and the UK would have been rendered uninhabitable, essentially forever, due to conventional bombing alone.

Something to think hard about.
Posted by Atom1, Friday, 14 August 2009 11:05:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pETERa - so sensitive, have you seen what name calling Helen does of her enemies?

What names did I call her pETER? I suggested in her honour we should call people like her by her name, it's an honour I want to bestow. Luddite just does not fit at all the scope of her crimes against humanity and technology - and why should she not be blamed for causing AGW (if you believe in that)?

Did you read what I said, that if Helen and her ilk had not lobbied Nuclear Power to be held back, we might not have waste now? Present technology is actually old technology that was never updated because of people like Helen. I don't know how else to explain it, I suspect you read my post but cannot believe your own eyes, so veiled are they by your own moral outrage.

Waste in my own backyard, but there would be no need if better nuclear technology can use it, that's my point that Helen has lobbied successfully to hold back progress.

pETERa, you realise I'm taking the p*ss out of Helen don't you? I think she's been a doomsayer who has inadvertantly caused us much damage.
Posted by odo, Friday, 14 August 2009 11:36:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy