The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Male egos and their class, in black and white > Comments

Male egos and their class, in black and white : Comments

By Zillah Eisenstein, published 12/8/2009

President Obama, Professor Gates and Sergeant Crowley: the meanings of race, white privilege, economic class and gender.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I think it's just about respecting position.

White people respect President Obama not because he's black but because he is the president. Everyone must respect the law even the president. Just ask Nixon.

The professor obviously tried to intimidate the officer by saying he was a well connected Harvard professor. I'm glad the police officer was not intimidated and arrested him.
Posted by dane, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 11:12:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But, what about my Aunty Nellie, the Rocket Scientist?

Gender is a figment of the feminist's, fevered imagination. Gender had nothing to do with her education, her parents could afford to send all six of their children to exclusive private schools.

When the second world war started she had already been to university and become a mathematician. During the war she worked on top secret weapons research. Afterwards continuing to work at the Woomera rocket range on leading edge research.

But also after the war she could not take part in the baby boom. She had no choice, but to have a career. There were not enough men to go around. Small matter of the 2nd world war. You see many men her own age were slaughtered, while protecting the opportunity of women to engage in a debate about gender privilege.

Has it not occurred to you fools that she might have wanted to be locked up in a fifties style kitchen, with all those labour saving devices like a washing machine? That she might have wanted, to make some cousins, i never got to meet?
Posted by Formersnag, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 11:29:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Often, men get angry. They don’t like to be put down. There is no forgiving or collaboration to avert a fist-fight or hissy fit of sorts."

and "This is not to say that a black woman might not have been furious and angry at the unfolding events. There could have been screaming, and anger. But in the end, one or both of them would probably have found some middle ground."

In the context of the authors focus on how people are perceived by race and gender how should I read the above comments?

When I read it I get the impression that the author thinks that as a male (and a white one at that) that I won't regularly do forgiving or collaboration or if I do most of the males around me don't. That my world should be full of fist-fights and hissy fits. I'll agree that I don't like to be put down, mostly I get over it, I'm guessing that few people do like to be put down regardless of their gender.

Is the comment in context with the article the sexist misrepresentation of men that it appears to be or is there a whole other meaning that I'm missing? For the record I think that forgiving, collaboration and the ability to try and step back and see things from another perspective are part of the day to day lives of most of the men and women I know (admittedly privilged compared to some but not especially so).

Fractelle and Pelican I'd be very interested to see your respective take's on this.

I've not followed the story the author's piece uses so I can't currently comment on that.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 1:06:47 PM
R0bert

'Is the comment in context with the article the sexist misrepresentation of men that it appears to be or is there a whole other meaning that I'm missing?'

There's a whole other meaning that you're missing. However, I don't expect you to find it as virtually every post you write is in denial about the way in which power is structurally distributed and maintained across the genders. So you have no choice but to take personal offence whenever anyone attempts to analyse it.

I don't expect you to reply to this post because we both know you have been giving me the silent treatment for some time now. So make of it that you will.
Posted by SJF, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 3:06:54 PM
So why did Condoleezza Rice go on a shopping holiday for new clothes during cyclone Katrina?

It is something I’ve never heard a bigoted, myopic feminist ever mention.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 3:23:59 PM
SJF:"There's a whole other meaning that you're missing."

What is it?
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 12 August 2009 5:36:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy