The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Entertainment fodder > Comments

Entertainment fodder : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 3/8/2009

Last week wasn't a one-off, the 'Kyle and Jackie O Show' has a history of sordid publicity stunts.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Melinda, you'll be reassured to know that the radio station employing these idiots has taken up your call to "self-regulate" by announcing that their "show" will be in recess as of 29/7 "until we have completed an across-the-networks review of the principles and protocols of our interaction with our audience".

Hopefully the outcome of that review will be a commitment to basic respect for human dignity and a modicum of decorum. But I won't hold my breath.

In the meantime can I suggest that people approach the sponsors of the "show" and let them know in no uncertain terms that they will simply boycott their businesses while they support this sort of thing?

You don't have to be a listener, just a potential customer of those sponsors.

The hip pocket nerve can be a very strong stimulus for change.
Posted by bitey, Monday, 3 August 2009 10:06:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm no fan of "shock jocks" and i've never listened to the show in question, but it strikes me that there is an issue here that is not being discussed - was the girl telling the truth?

If she was, is the matter being properly pursued? Rape is a serious allegation.

If she wasn't, then the outrage from Ms Tankard is somewhat misplaced, surely?

If the rape claim had not been made, would Ms Tankard have felt the same outrage? I suspect she would not and hence the truth of the girl's claim in central to her piece, yet she never even asks the question.

I guess when you're lining up with the rest of the sisterhood to kick someone then you don't ask questions, just get the steel-capped Blunnies swinging.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 3 August 2009 10:43:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Honesty Antiseptic! True or not true, a young person was strapped to a lie detector on a radio station and asked about her sexual behaviour! Yeesh. I wouldn't do that to my adult children. Normal parents just don't behave in this fashion. We aren't supposed to be the ones handing out the abuse.

The radio stations behaviour in running this grub, was beyond the pale. Getting idiot adults up to participate in this moron stuff is one thing, but an underage person - no way.

Anyway I hope that the girl ends up selling her story, gets contol of the money and and kisses her drop dead mother goodbye for good. Wonder where Dad was in this too.
Posted by JL Deland, Monday, 3 August 2009 11:05:44 AM
JL Deland, I'm not condoning the treatment of the girl, merely questioning the source of Ms Tankard's outrage.

She made much of the rape allegation, yet seemingly has not even questioned it's veracity. My point is that she would probably not have raised a finger to type anything if the girl had not claimed rape. Therefore, it is valid to question whether the rape occurred.

The wider issue for Ms Tankard seems to be the sexual nature of some of the stuff put to air by the show rather than the treatment of the girl outside the context of the claimed rape.

It's a straight feminist piece-to-air.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 3 August 2009 11:26:47 AM
It must have been bad if some secularist are now saying it is wrong. I wonder on what premise they come to their conclusion. It could not be conscience could it? DCD should of taken this child from her mother a long time ago. Or are they to busy chasing parents who love their kids enough to give a smack to when they throw tantrums. Only a very sick me generation would tune into such filth.
Posted by runner, Monday, 3 August 2009 12:07:31 PM
"My point is that she would probably not have raised a finger to type anything if the girl had not claimed rape. Therefore, it is valid to question whether the rape occurred".

"It's a straight feminist piece-to-air".

I've got a pretty strong feeling that even if this girl hadn't made a rape allegation, the 'do do' would have hit the fan on this one, and we still would have seen an outraged article from Ms Tankard. For any young person to be placed in such as situation is outrageous. Feminists and even people like Andrew Bolt are standing shoulder to shoulder on this one.

As for the veracity of the rape allegation, the Mother's and the radio station opening her daughter up to such a privacy breach, and now speculation as to whether she is telling the truth or not, can only be harmful.

This isn't about feminism or the show's running seedy sexual stuff in the past but the abuse of a young person. While Tankard gives the past seedy stuff a run, it could be said that it gives weight to the fact that a underage person should not have ever been allowed to be put on radio like this, and it was not a random 'accident'. The whole situation was wrong.
Posted by JL Deland, Monday, 3 August 2009 12:11:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy