The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Forcing density in Australia's suburbs > Comments

Forcing density in Australia's suburbs : Comments

By Tony Recsei, published 24/7/2009

Mistaken 'green' ideology and financial rewards to developers have made high-density an enduring feature of Australia's planning policy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Who actually votes for these morons, and how can we make them accountable?

The complete and utter incompetence smacks of labor, am I right?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 24 July 2009 1:47:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Caught between politically motivated nimbys and the deep green concrete.
Posted by Dallas, Friday, 24 July 2009 6:41:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia has clearly learnt nothing from the high rise developments
in places like the USA and Europe. What you are in fact creating,
is little more then a human zoo.

The first thing that skyrockets in these human zoos is the crime
rate.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 24 July 2009 7:31:48 PM
To densify or sprawl, that is the issue……isn’t it?

Well it shouldn’t be. We have SURELY got to reach limits to the growth….of both!

Population growth, Tony Recsei, that is the underlying issue that needs to be tackled head-on by people such as yourself who passionately detest high-rise development and people such as myself who passionately detest urban sprawl.

We should both be on the same side, fighting tooth and nail to stop the utterly absurdly high rate of immigration into this country, and to wind back the birthrate a bit, both of which drive this manic endless push for high-rise development...and urban expansion.

I’ve been doing my bit in this regard for 20 years. But judging from your article, you haven’t been…..and yet you acknowledge population growth as being the driving issue in your very first paragraph!

Alright, so you have argued strongly against high-rise. But you haven’t mentioned a word about the downsides of urban sprawl, which you would surely acknowledge are substantial.

My town, Townsville, has seen a major expansion in high-rise apartment blocks around the CBD in the last decade. So much so that it has literally turned this large country town into a regional city.

As the town centre was right up in one corner of the urban expanse, and large shopping centres and other semi central business districts have developed out in the burbs, the old town centre became very run down.

The urban consolidation that has occurred via all this high-rise had reinvigorated the now city centre.

It is a good thing. But it would have been a whole lot better if it had replaced urban expansion. But alas, the sprawl has continued at an incredible rate.

I’ve said this a hundred times on this forum on all manner of thread topics – I find it amazing that people who are concerned about something that is caused or strongly contributed to by rapid population growth just completely miss the need to address that issue!! So often, passionate and knowledgeable people just take continuous rapid population growth for granted. That’s just crackers!
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 24 July 2009 8:41:26 PM
Congratulations to our stupid policy makers and to those of us who voted for a change of government.

On 18 December 2008, the Australian federal government announced policy and administrative changes to screening arrangements for foreign investors in Australian real estate, meaning it will
be easier for overseas purchasers to buy property here in 2009. These drastic changes to the Foreign Ownership Laws was made in the hope that increased foreign investment will help support property prices'

Well as a community we need to ask many questions:
How could this stupid policy actually support property prices? I would argue many foreign investors will simply outbid Australians. Greedy landlords and real estate agents will also play one against the other to get the best foreign dollar or euro or asian currency.

Then there is the issue of money laundering and chanelling such monies into the purchase of Australian property.

Oh! and if I spend $1-3 million dollars buying property as an Asian or Afgani or Russian businessman then I would feel it is my right to live in Australia, access Medicare or even get a dodgy business started.

It's all about the next election - why worry about selling off the farm. Afterall two or three stints in politics will ensure I'm financially well off mate - stuff the next generation of Australians.
Posted by Tubbit, Friday, 24 July 2009 9:56:47 PM
Glad to see the question of population growth raising its head! This IS the critical issue. Just how many people do we want to live in any particular place? How many people can Australia support? Do we want to pack more people into some cities and regions or not? The debate has to focus on building sustainable economies so that we all can earn a living and live the type of lifestyle we choose, without it then being radically altered afterwards. I choose to live near a regional city on small acreage. I don't want my lifestyle compromised by high density 'infill' development. I commend SOS as they have properly assessed the negative impacts of high density living and yet the continued expansion of our population is why we have the problem in the first place. Bigger is not always better!
Posted by Sue Brooks, Saturday, 25 July 2009 9:46:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy