The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Israel's prime time war > Comments

Israel's prime time war : Comments

By Neve Gordon, published 18/6/2009

Images of Israeli troops dismantling a few outposts are all part of a well choreographed spectacle being produced for the US.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Both sides deserve each other. Frankly I don't care what happens to either of them.
Posted by beaumonde, Friday, 19 June 2009 6:28:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can understand you, Beaumonde: if my family wasn't living there I wouldn't care either.

But...

As I want my family to live, free of fear and in dignity and maintain their fabric of life (home, friends, jobs, farm, trees, language, schools, doctors, shops, etc. etc.), I have no choice but support whatever is necessary for Israel's survival, even when I hate their policies. It is unfortunately clear that my family could not survive, let alone remain well, under Muslim rule.

Neve Gordon is optimistic, and I hope he is right, but I wouldn't like to see my family engulfed in a civil war and the stakes for the settlers are indeed high: as the hard core of the settlers and their supporters believe, taking away their settlements implies taking away their messiah and hope of redemption, which they invested their whole life in, so it is very difficult to give it up peacefully.

Neve also ignores the fact that settlers and their supporters fill the Israely army in all ranks, which make it hard not only to avoid a split in the army, but also to keep evacuation-plans secret. In this situation, I believe that only a foreign army (probably American) can do the dirty evacuation job.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 3 July 2009 1:37:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy