The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The same old story: torture and accountability > Comments

The same old story: torture and accountability : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 1/5/2009

The Obama administration is somewhat dazed by revelations of torture of US detainees in prisons from Bagram airbase to Guantánamo.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
<”Obama, Napolitano, et al are now running the show and we should all be very worried.
You people should read more because it's people like you who voted for these incompetents.”>

Actually, I think you'll find it's your ilk who vote for these people. I would never vote for someone controlled by any ideology, the historical evidence show it's a recipe for disaster.

<”You know you're a progressive, left-leaning liberal when you're outraged that Americans can pour water over the face of a terrorist to try and stop more terrorist attacks but you have no problems at all with a mother choosing to have her 34 week old foetus dismembered and extracted from her body because she really wants that BMW.”>

The above statement alone, is evidence enough to show your lack of grasp on reality and how dismembered your mind is. Provide verifiable evidence where a women has chosen to dismember and extract, an 8 ½ month developed child from her body, because she wants a BMW. Could this be a rabid emotional display of contempt for truth, or an example of your true mental state, lack of credibility for your argument, so the need for incomprehensible babble.
Posted by stormbay, Sunday, 10 May 2009 5:11:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"You know you're a progressive, left-leaning liberal when you're outraged that Americans can pour water over the face of a terrorist to try and stop more terrorist attacks but you have no problems at all with a mother choosing to have her 34 week old foetus dismembered and extracted from her body because she really wants that BMW.
Posted by KMB, Sunday, 10 May 2009 2:57:57 PM"

Oh my! you do get in a pickle don't you?

Personally? I'm anti abortion.I believe it is necessary ONLY in the most extenuating circumstances, and I have no intention in getting locked in an argument with anyone about that view.

What I find nauseaus is your scant grasp of what exactly constitutes a terrorist. The Bush Regime was made up of terrorists.

THEN you put up your example of double standards. That shows your mindset far more than to those to whom you refer.

(I would however like you to provide the evidence of a woman aborting an 8 month 2 week BABY, so that she could buy a BMW. Links please,-and I hope they show the medical personnel who did the operation. If you can provide it, I will be as shocked and disgusted as you).
Posted by Ginx, Sunday, 10 May 2009 6:21:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
STATEMENT BY ISRAELI REPRESENTATIVE AT 18TH SESSION OF UNITED NATIONS COMMITTEE AGAINST TORTURE, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND 7 MAY 1997

“This prohibition on torture is absolute. As a result, and despite the current predicament of the State and the pressing need to fight terrorism, investigators are never, and never have been, authorized to use torture, even if its use might possibly prevent some terrible attacks and save human lives"
Posted by csteele, Monday, 11 May 2009 1:06:28 PM
“Provide verifiable evidence where a women has chosen to dismember and extract, an 8 ½ month developed child from her body, because she wants a BMW.”
It isn’t possible and it isn’t necessary to provide such evidence.
The law provides that a woman can abort at any stage for any reason and the law provides that nobody is accountable, whatever the reason.
And that’s the point.
There is no longer any legal mechanism to ensure that the above situation does not occur.
It’s open season.
The reality then, is that if you support a woman’s absolute right to choose then you would support her in her decision for whatever her private reasons are.
Remember, what a woman does with “her own body” is nobody else’s business but her own.
So are you going to say now that she has no right to abort her child, at whatever stage of gestation, for whatever reason she decides? Even if it is so that she can buy a BMW?
Are you suggesting that a woman must provide a justifiable reason for her abortion?
Justifiable to whom?
If so, then you are anti-choice. Welcome to the club!
Having said that, there is anecdotal evidence, and it can only ever be anecdotal because the law does not provide for anything else, that women are aborting late term so that they can collect the baby bonus.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/oct/08102303.html
Admittedly, the baby bonus wouldn’t pay for a BMW.
Posted by KMB, Monday, 11 May 2009 5:52:49 PM
<”Having said that, there is anecdotal evidence, and it can only ever be anecdotal because the law does not provide for anything else, that women are aborting late term so that they can collect the baby bonus.”>

KMB, your link is a religious anti abortion site, not one bit of truth in you or it, just drama filled hearsay and theatrics. You lack comprehensible logic, so need to provide evidence of a doctor who has performed these late abortions so the woman can get some money. It would cost much more than the baby bonus to get a doctor, facilities and staff to perform a late term abortion to a fully developed healthy fetus.

Mind you, I don't doubt there'd be women who'd do that, but they'd have to be badly psychologically disturbed. It's clear you have no understanding of the bond between a women and the unborn child they have carried for almost 9 months and are quite happy to throw dispersions on women and the medical profession to advance your agenda. All you're trying to do is steer the discussion away from the real perpetrators and supporters by association of torture and worldwide terror, I think the reason is obvious to everyone.
Posted by stormbay, Monday, 11 May 2009 7:04:48 PM
stormbay,
<<KMB, your link is a religious anti abortion site>>
Here's a non religious link:
http://news.theage.com.au/national/loophole-allows-baby-bonus-for-abortions-20081023-57bf.html
But of course you'll discredit this one too.
<<It's clear you have no understanding of the bond between a women (sic) and the unborn child they have carried for almost 9 months>> almost 8 months...7 months..6 months...5 months...4 months...tell me when to stop.
So it's the strength of a mother's bond that stops her from binning her child is it?
At what stage does this bond kick in?
You're making this up as you go along.
Personally, I'd vote for the terrorist getting water poured over his face and the baby getting a life, but I guess I'm just perverse.
Posted by KMB, Monday, 11 May 2009 7:50:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy