The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The power of hatred > Comments

The power of hatred : Comments

By David Knoll, published 7/4/2009

Should freedom of expression include the licence to offend when this is a free pass to vilification, intimidation and bullying.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. 18
  14. 19
  15. All
I think Antiseptic can only derail topics if we interact with him. If he did not get a 'rise' out of people he would soon get bored and go somewhere else to get the effect he wants.

It is up to the rest of us to control the behaviour on these forums. If we find behaviour unacceptable then we should ignore the person and refuse to interact with them on any level. If they are here just to express their opinions then it should not bother them if no one responds to anything they say. If they are here to intimidate and bully then they will get frustrated and go away. Whatever fantasies they have in their own mind about their own power is their concern.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 8:10:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pynchme:"Why do you hold the conviction that feminism was necessary?"

Once, women were limited in their work and some other choices by the social structure. It was necessary because some women were being disadvantaged as a result. That no longer applies. Whilst constraints still exist, they are now pretty much exclusively the products of biology rather than social strusture, in Western countries at least.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 16 April 2009 8:52:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SJF:"Barking questions at people to explain what they meant by this and explain what they meant by that and demanding from people to provide examples of what they mean etc etc ... is actually a classic bullying method - often used by abusive parents, teachers and bosses"

Oh, nice: any question is an attempt to intimidate and the questioner is also automatically abusive. Even better than the last effort, Fraulein Goebbels; well done. My 12 year old daughter is able to respond rationally to my questions, as is my 11 year old son. They sometimes even ask provoking questions in return...

phanto's right, you know? Since I can't abide stupidity and vapidity, the best thing for those so-afflicted is to shut up if they don't want me to respond. The conversation would be boring and the chance of anybody learning anything would be reduced, but at least noone would be offended, eh?

Get over your obsession with all things Antiseptic, girls and boys. YKIMS.

phanto:"If we find behaviour unacceptable then we should ignore the person and refuse to interact with them on any level."

Perhaps borderline personality is a better diagnosis. Of course, that often evinces as passive-aggression...
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 16 April 2009 7:38:56 PM
Wise words again, phanto. Thanks, I think I'll take your advice - and thanks to Pynchme, SJF and others who've made intelligent and civil comments.

Ciao.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 16 April 2009 8:20:07 PM
Hiya CJ - I agree with you all and I appreciate the courage it takes for men like you to speak up for what's just and reasonable. However what we've been witnessing is the manner in which bullies silence other men and most women. So for a while at least, when I get a chance to post at all, I aim to use bully posts to set out additional information. Maybe something will eventually strike a chord of natural human feeling. I choose not to be silenced at this time.

Antiseptic: <"Once, women were limited in their work and some other choices by the social structure. It was necessary because some women were being disadvantaged as a result. That no longer applies. Whilst constraints still exist, they are now pretty much exclusively the products of biology rather than social strusture, in Western countries at least.">

- and yet, every day the news is replete with stories (hardly exhaustive) of women and chidren being tortured and killed by men. Do you think that is indicative that something continues to be wrong in the social structure ?
Posted by Pynchme, Friday, 17 April 2009 5:04:03 AM
- and yet, every day the news is replete with stories (hardly exhaustive) of women neglecting, molesting and killing children.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25341199-5017817,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25345825-1248,00.html

If you insist on making men collectively responsible for the sins of the few, it is only fair to do the same to women.

It would never occur to you to use 'some', because you are out to abuse men - that is prejudice. SOME men are violent towards women and children and usually to other men as well. Likewise SOME women neglect, molest and kill children and adults (even old ones) as well.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25345796-29277,00.html

“Prejudice squints when it looks, and lies when it talks”
Duchess de Abrantes

Most,in fact the substantial majority of men and women are fine upstanding people who wish only the best for others. So what about coming clean and using the qualifier 'some' rather than cast hurtful aspersions against one gender? Not so hard to do is it?
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 17 April 2009 8:39:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17