The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The power of hatred > Comments

The power of hatred : Comments

By David Knoll, published 7/4/2009

Should freedom of expression include the licence to offend when this is a free pass to vilification, intimidation and bullying.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All
Antiseptic referred to "Israel's appalling record on free speech and human rights."

According to Reporters without Borders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Press_Freedom_Index#Worldwide_Press_Freedom_Index_Ranking

Of 173 countries Israel ranks 46 in press freedom.

"Freedom in the World" published by Freedom House ranks countries by political rights and civil liberties that are derived in large measure from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Countries are assessed as free, partly free, or unfree. Israel is assessed as free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indices_of_freedom discusses the state of freedom of various countries. Listed as a flawed democracy Israel has a better than average record compared to other countries of the world.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 9:36:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well done, Antiseptic

All the posts since my last one have all been about you.

'If I ask 10 questions in a post, not a one will be responded to...'

You just don't get it, do you?

This may come as a surprise to you, but asking 10 questions (or 3 or 5 or 7) in a post is itself a method of bullying. It’s a classic de-railer, because it takes the emphasis off the topic and onto the personal needs of the person doing the questioning.

This is not to be confused with the occasional reasonable request for clarification or a citation, for which most people are happy to oblige. However, this is a far cry from barking orders at people to respond to a set of questions, and then badgering them further when they don’t choose to do so or object to your tone of questioning.

(Oh … and don’t even think of wasting my time, or your own, with the tired old bully’s lament that if people don’t respond to your questions, it’s because they don’t have any answers.)

‘Yep and in a nutshell that's why I get up the noses of the would-be radfems and their lapdogs.’

Your bragging is misplaced. All the attention-seeking misogyny you dump on every gender thread gets up a lot of people’s noses – not just the radfem ones.
Posted by SJF, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 2:41:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SJF wrote:

"Well done, Antiseptic

All the posts since my last one have all been about you."

Dear SJF,

That is a bit unfair. I wrote one of those posts, and it was not about Antiseptic. It concerned a substantive remark he made. I did not comment on his style, his manner of presentation or his person.

Since we are a discussion group that is in order.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 5:40:07 PM
Antiseptic said - In that case, why are we having a discussion about MY style?

We are not having a discussion about your style we are having a discussion about your aggression. There is never any reason to be aggressive and it certainly has nothing to do with style. It is all about the need to hurt people. Sarcasm, belittling, put downs, exasperation, impatience, patronizing are all acts of aggression and most of your posts contain acts of aggression.

This is not about your opinions it is about your behaviour. It is not about free speech it is about the deliberate attempt to use speech to hurt others. Of course you are free to try and hurt others and to drag down the integrity of the forums if you wish but there should be consequences of that. People should refuse to interact with you at all until you stop using the forums to compensate for your own personal problems. That is the only way to deal with people like you.

The fact that people do not respond to your questions or your opinions should not be taken as a sign that they cannot ‘contend’ with your questions or opinions. It is quite likely they do not respond because they are afraid of you. That is the trouble when you are aggressive you never know if people like you and respect you or they are just afraid of you.
Posted by phanto, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 7:35:00 PM
Well said, phanto. However, I suspect that you'll now be transformed into some kind of neurotic dog in Antiseptic's discourse, undoubtedly passed off as 'humour'. Is there anybody here who finds Antiseptic's attempts at bullying the slightest bit funny, except for him?

As a regular object of his aggression, I have to say however that it is somewhat less than frightening. Rather, I feel some compassion for the poor bugger since he's so obviously miserable and angry. I can imagine from his self-descriptions that he might be intimidating IRL to women in particular, but most blokes I know would regard him as one does those sad losers who cry into their beer at the pub on occasions.

I've noticed that his antipathy towards women and those who like them has intensified lately. He used to bluster on about 'feminism', but lately this seems to be becoming more generalised towards all women. His language is also becoming steadily more abusive.

We've seen this pattern before at OLO. I don't expect that we'll have to put up with the continual, repetitive and deliberate attempts to offend others for all that long.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 14 April 2009 8:12:29 PM
CJ:

I just stopped by for a read but couldn't resist letting you know that this gave me a good laugh. Very clever.

Grim: << While I hold (ad nauseum) to the ethic of reciprocity, if everyone is always unfailingly polite it just makes it that much more difficult to identify the assholes. >>

Indeed, and Antiseptic is unfailingly obliging in helping us to identify at least one of them.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 10 April 2009 1:19:01 PM
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 2:05:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15