The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The power of hatred > Comments

The power of hatred : Comments

By David Knoll, published 7/4/2009

Should freedom of expression include the licence to offend when this is a free pass to vilification, intimidation and bullying.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. 17
  14. 18
  15. 19
  16. All
davidf, "not as bad as the very worst", is not equivalent to "not appalling".

SJF:"All the posts since my last one have all been about you. "

And that is my fault how? I've asked several questions that could have taken the discussion off into a different direction, but neither you nor anyone else has chosen to take them up. Why am I responsible for your and others' obsession with me? Get over me.

SJF:"asking 10 questions (or 3 or 5 or 7) in a post is itself a method of bullying"

Hahaha. What we should all do is simply say "yes SJF, you're so wise, tell us more". I should have realised, how stupid of me.
LMAO, that was the funniest post I think I've ever seen.

SJF:"if people don’t respond to your questions, it’s because they don’t have any answers"

I ask questions because they occur to me whilst thinking about and responding to the posts. I ask them in an effort to give people something to think about in turn. I'm sorry you don't like to think about things.

SJF:"All the attention-seeking misogyny you dump on every gender thread gets up a lot of people’s noses – not just the radfem ones."

There's no misogyny, SJF, despite your and your lapdog's efforts to portray it that way. What there is is a deep conviction that feminism is a once-necessary philosophy that has turned into a pernicious, self-serving ideology being milked by a relatively few women (and some talentless men) for a free ride.

If you lot weren't so keen to brand people misogynist for disagreeing with you, you'd get a lot more respect. The reason that few men bother trying to engage with you and the other would-be radfems here is that you don't engage, you simply play the "offence" card to try to shut down the discussion as soon as it gets too hard for you.

Pynchme:"Good little fella, CJ"

Awww. Warms the cockles of your heart, it does. Go on, give him a bikkie, you know you want to.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 6:41:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A-septic

Maybe you are intimidating IRL as you claim, maybe not. However, you do not intimidate anyone on these pages. Because of your denigrating style and because I am free to choose to whom and to what POV I respond, you simply do not rate. Maybe you have something interesting to say, I don't know because I just skim your posts, if there is an insult, I don't bother with you.

I'm making an exception this time, as for your point that "a deep conviction that feminism is a once-necessary philosophy that has turned into a pernicious, self-serving ideology being milked by a relatively few women (and some talentless men) for a free ride."

That is your opinion. There is no evidence for it, you only respond with denigrating statements like this because others have simply disagreed with you. That you can't handle it is your problem. Such is the power of hatred.
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 9:50:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antoseptic "not as bad as the very worst", is not equivalent to "not appalling".

I know it isn't, but considerably better than average is equivalent to not appalling.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 10:01:17 AM
phanto:"we are having a discussion about
your aggression"
You might be, I'm having a conversation
about freedom of speech.
phanto:"There is never any reason to be
aggressive "
I say that I'm not aggressive, I'm
assertive. How you perceive that
assertiveness is entirely your own affair.
phanto:"People should refuse to interact
with you at all until you stop using the
forums to compensate for your own personal
problems. That is the only way to deal with
people like you."
LMAO, passive-aggressive much?

phanto:"It is quite likely they do not
respond because they are afraid of you"
Or because they lack confidence in their
own position or in their capacity to build
a sound argument. Either way, it's their
problem to deal with, not mine.

Fractelle:"That is your opinion. There is no evidence for it,"

Yes, it is my opinion, and I have provided plenty of evidence in the past. You'd not have seen it, because you were too busy trying to find irrelevancies to respond to, or avoid the pomeranian trying to sniff at your crotch.

davidf:"considerably better than average is equivalent to not appalling."

That depends on what the average is. I suggest that on the basis of the number of people affected, the average is considerably worse than appalling.

It should also be mentioned that the basis for the comparison is the report of US right-wing organisations. the US has consistently refused to do anything about Israeli bad behaviour and the US right-wing is dominated by pro-Zionists.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 12:03:56 PM
Antiseptic: "What there is is a deep conviction that feminism is a once-necessary philosophy..."

Why do you hold the conviction that feminism was necessary?

Please detail why, in your opinion, it was necessary.
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 1:58:51 PM
Antiseptic

'SJF:"asking 10 questions (or 3 or 5 or 7) in a post is itself a method of bullying"

Hahaha... LMAO, that was the funniest post I think I've ever seen.'

I stand by what I said. Barking questions at people to explain what they meant by this and explain what they meant by that and demanding from people to provide examples of what they mean etc etc ... is actually a classic bullying method - often used by abusive parents, teachers and bosses.

Used politely and in moderation, putting questions to people is fine. However, when it's used repeatedly, rudely and excessively, as you do, it crosses over into baiting and harrassment - two of the main pillars of hate speech.

David f

'That is a bit unfair. I wrote one of those posts, and it was not about Antiseptic. It concerned a substantive remark he made. I did not comment on his style, his manner of presentation or his person.'

That's a fair objection and I was aware when I wrote my last post that yours was different from the others. If you felt misrepresented, I apologise.

However, I was referring to the fact that the cumulative effect of all those posts (including yours) put Antiseptic at the centre of the commentary's attention - which is where he ALWAYS sets out to place himself, regardless of the topic. And in doing so, he usually ends up derailing it.
Posted by SJF, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 5:48:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16